IGNORED

Color Gotcha 2600

LS_Dracon

A little project I was working these days.

Gotcha was the 3rd. arcade game made by Atari, released in 1973.

A very rare color version was made and recently discovered by Ed Fries. This is the first color arcade game ever.

Rules : The "square" player chases the "plus" player. Try to catch the plus simbol to earn points.

It's a 2 player only game, I have plans to make an artificial intelligence for one player only.

And the game is using CommaVid bankswitch just because I'm testing with this format, not the game really needs it.

Enjoy.

post-10940-0-34654200-1467731022_thumb.png

Latest ROM : ColorGotcha2600.bin

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 11

New version :

Fixed the timer - now runs up to 99 just like the arcade

Hit Pause - now the maze is cleared and the game freezes by 1 second or so, every players hit - just like the arcade :)

Removed the black bars at corners.

Press joystick button to restart the game or reset switch to reset anytime.

Interesting game, never heard of it before.

Looking forward to an AI version. If you implement both AIs, it will have a cool demo mode. :)

BTW: The colors doesn't play any role in the game, right?

This is the first maze game. :)

The original have an attract mode, where the players bounce around like the pong ball, I still need to implement this.

But I like your idea because shows the real gameplay.

The colors doesn't affect the gameplay. In the arcade, each bar is draw using a particular color, all vertical bars are green, while the horizontal are blue, pink or red.

Here's the arcade gameplay video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoDZoZqsHF8

Latest ROM on first post

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

We'll be featuring Color Gotcha on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch stream tomorrow (Wednesday) at 11AM PT/2PM ET! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Featured Games:
Tower of Rubble (mksmith) (2019 WIP) by mksmith

Marble Craze (2017 Trak-Ball Hack) by Thomas Jentzsch

Color Gotcha (2016 WIP) by LS_Dracon

Bit Quest II (2019 WIP) by metalbabble

EDIT: Here's the video of the livestream!

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 3

It's a two player game where one person tries to catch the other before the time runs out. On the livestream we took turns for who chased and who got chased.

what am i doing wrong here, i take the little thing and im following it to the maze-- just by myself-- how is it supposed to be played?

It's a two player game where one person tries to catch the other before the time runs out. On the livestream we took turns for who chased and who got chased.

I've watched the livestream, thanks for playing the game :)

There's not much to do in this game, it seems moving a object on a screen was entertaining enough for a commercial product back in 1973.

We had a lot of fun playing your game on the livestream, especially once we figured out a good strategy to hold a point competition by trading off who was doing the chasing.

I think it's really important to port these forgotten arcade games as I had never heard about it before encountering your game. Great job on it!

I've watched the livestream, thanks for playing the game icon_smile.gif

There's not much to do in this game, it seems moving a object on a screen was entertaining enough for a commercial product back in 1973.

• Like 1

We had a lot of fun playing your game on the livestream, especially once we figured out a good strategy to hold a point competition by trading off who was doing the chasing.

I think it's really important to port these forgotten arcade games as I had never heard about it before encountering your game. Great job on it!

Thank you very much!

Gotcha may be a forgotten game, but played a important role at video game industry as being the first maze game ever, the PacMan grandpa.

And the color version is the first time someone messed with RGB signal to display video game color graphics. :)

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 2