ballyalley

Hi-Res Bally Arcade/Astrocade Correspondence

Here are the latest hi-res updates from Michael Matte:

----------------------------------------

Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2020 7:47 PM
To: Adam Trionfo
Cc: Lance Squire
Subject: Hi-Res Fish Demo Update

I finished creating my 5 fish types to my satisfaction. They look great. There are 11 fish moving around the screen now.

I would like to add 1 small goldfish lingering along the sea bottom. This particular fish would display 2 new additional colors.

The hr:min:sec elapsed time counter will be added. I would like to detail the sea bottom including some starfish. Some time ago, I drew out on graph paper, a 24 H x 320 W pixel sea bottom, which I would like to detail in this demo.

I have 918 bytes left to work with. I hope that's enough memory to include everything. If not, the sea bottom will be more simplistic.

This 8KB hi-res demo project is winding down. Soon, I'll be able to see the finished demo.

Bye.
MCM

Nice job, Michael!

Adam

Here are the latest hi-res updates from Michael Matte:

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 5:16 PM

To: Adam Trionfo

Cc: Lance Squire

Subject: Hi-Res Multi-Pager Demo Update

The following has been added to my hi-res Fish Demo:

A hr/min/sec elapsed timer at the bottom of the screen.

An auto restart (jump) to 2000H when the Fish Demo reaches 2:00 minutes.

An optional nonstop Fish Demo mode, which is enabled when any key on the keypad is pressed.

And "up" arrow is displayed, just to the right of the elapsed timer, when the nonstop mode is enabled.

Additional Comments

The cycle time from start to finish, executing the multi-pager demo, moving a critter to erase static graphics in all 8 pages plus the 2:00 minute fish demo, is about 9 minutes.

The elapsed time utilizes custom hi-res 7 x 9 pixel digits. A custom display time write subroutine was created to write the time digits (and colons) using an expanded plop with NO shifter byte cleared at the end of each digit line written. This may be the reason why the timer counts up with NO graphics flickering. Nice.

All that's left to do now on this project is detail the sea bottom. One sea bottom fish will be added, possibly moving along the sea bottom dips and inclines, instead of just moving within a narrow long move zone, IF there are still ROM bytes available for that task.

I'm hoping to finish this 8KB project in 2 to 3 weeks.

Bye.

MCM

When Michael is done with his project, I think he is going to make a video of it using a DVD recorder.  He'll send the DVD to me and then I'll make the video available on YouTube and Archive.org.

Adam