ballyalley

Hi-Res Bally Arcade/Astrocade Correspondence

After carefully browsing through my email, I see that I have nine updates about Michael Matte's various hi-res Astrocade projects.  I will try to post all of these updates in the next few days.

Adam

----------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, July 12, 2021 7:36 PM

To: Adam, Ken and Lance

Subject: Hi-Res Astrocade News

I wanted to inform you guys (Ken, Adam and Lance) that I modified my third motherboard for low/hi-res operation. This motherboard has only 3 chips that are not in sockets. Two of those 3 chips are not even needed for my low/hi-res scheme and can be removed from the motherboard.

To my surprise, there is some kind of incompatibility when connecting this modified board with my low/hi-res wire wrapped SRAM board. There is a Z80 screen RAM read issue, which seems to be related to the 74LS138 decoding scheme.

This issue has been difficult and time-consuming trying to resolve it on a wire wrapped board. Since I was planning to build a quick connect breadboard for experimentation with my third (final) hi-res Astrocade, I have decided to try to resolve the read issue on the breadboard. This makes more sense to use a breadboard to investigate this incompatibility. A breadboard will also reduce setup time when using my logic analyzer to view logic wave forms during the experimentation process. I also have a new idea for decoding the direction and enable pins for the four 74LS245 Z80 screen RAM write/read chips, which I would like to experiment with. Hopefully, I'll be able to resolve the read issue.

I also found out that I have a custom address chip that runs great in low-res, but has a hi-res mode issue. This chip was tested on my working hi-res DRAM Astrocade and my logic analyzer. The chip outputs extra, undesirable active-high RAS0 and RAS1 pulses. This is the second address chip I've seen that operates perfectly in low-res, but not in hi-res.

I might modify a fourth motherboard for hi-res as a backup board and have also around 9 sets of custom address/data chips, all which could be utilized to check for compatibility.

Bye.

MCM

Ken Lill replied to Michael with some advice:

To: Michael Matte

Sent: Monday July 12 2021 9:10:47PM

Subject: Hi-Res Astrocade News

Upon reviewing your DWG 5 I think that you can reduce the chip count by approximately 4-6. Using the A12-A14 addresses on the IC8 and tieing the data enables there, you'll only need one 245 and one 62256. ou may need a latch per 16 bit bus drawn here, I think. This may also help syncing all of those lines. The input data is all the same, so only one 8 bit buss is needed there. The outputs will coincide with IC12. If you want to consider this and have questions, either email me or we can make arraingments to talk on the phone, your discretion.

Ken

P.S. remember, the less circuitry you have, the less problems you typically will have!

-------

Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 11:56 AM

Subject: RE: Hi-Res Astrocade News

Thank you so much taking the time to email your feedback. I already experimentally determined the IC10 and IC3 gates in DWG 5 are not required along with the series 47 ohm DATEN resistor in DWG 3, which I removed. I would like to experiment with your suggestion for the hi-res screen SRAM option with NO multi-pager. I admit a fresh new look at the scheme is in order. Quick experimentation is the major reason I want to use my quick connect bread board (with a condensed area lay out) idea instead of wire wrapping a scheme. Could you possibly USPS mail me some kind of sketch to help me understand your recommendation described below? Your idea intrigues me.

I used the larger SRAM package for screen RAM to keep the chip type identical with my multi-carted user SRAM scheme, which I am setting up for compatibility with optional user applications using specific EPROMSs or EEPROMs. However, for the final compatibility tested screen SRAM scheme, I could switch to the narrower package.

With regard to a professional grade low/hi-res screen RAM pc board, how do you install (solder in) chips on your boards and how do you feel about installing pc sockets?

Bye.

MCM

Michael's next update that I will post is from July 21.  I'll try to post that tomorrow.

Adam

Here are two email messages that Michael Matte sent on July 21 and July 30, 2021.  These are related to his BalcheckHR breadboard hardware diagnostic tool.  More information about that hardware is available here:

https://ballyalley.com/emulation/cart_images/cart_images.html#BalCheckHRAstrocadeROMImage

https://ballyalley.com/documentation/BallyCheck/BallyCheck.html#BalcheckHRUserManual

https://ballyalley.com/documentation/BallyCheck/BallyCheck.html#BalcheckHRUserManualScans

The following two email exchanges that Michael Matte had with Allen and me, is about working on an astrocade motherboard that fails.  He designates this board as BD7.  Whenever Michael refers to "you" or "your," he is referring to Allen.

Michael talks about how he substitutes a Z80 that is not connected to the Astrocade motherboard and yet it allows it to run on the Astrocade motherboard.  This uses hardware that is Michael's own design.  He does not plan to create it for others, even though he has been offered the opportunity to, perhaps, have this is design placed on a professional-grade PCB.

These two pieces of email give a behind-the-scene look at the process that Michael uses to diagnose a regular astrocade (a non-hi-res console) using a tool he originally designed for his hires unit.

Adam

Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 9:33 PM

To: Allen S. and Adam T.

Subject: ALLEN BD7

I installed a Z80 and 74LS367 in my upgraded BalcheckHR breadboard. This breadboard was shown on my first YouTube video.  I checked all the applicable wiring on the breadboard and wiring to my connected working motherboard.

My remote Z80 substitution idea works. I used my logic probe to confirm the motherboard Z80 was tri-stated off.

I connected the breadboard to your failed Allen BD7, which will crash about 8 seconds after the menu powers on. Your board is now working great, when operated by the Z80 that's on my BalcheckHR board. How about that? The Z80 WAS acting up. The logic probe pulsing at the Custom Address RAS0 output line is now pulsing normally. My suspicion was correct about this irregularity when I compared my working motherboard with your failed motherboard. I'm finding out that my logic probe is becoming a very powerful diagnostic tool.

I'm going to let you replace the Z80 because you have the proper tool and the skills for replacing such a big chip.

I have an address chip that runs perfect in low-res, but has an issue in hi-res. I would like permission to test your address chip in ALLEN BD7 to see if it runs perfect in hi-res. If yes, I would like to swap address chips. I would of course test the swapped chip in your board thoroughly to make sure it runs perfect in low-res.

I would also like to confirm both of those address chips you shipped me run perfect in low and hi-res before I ship your Astrocade back to you. If not, would you be willing to swap/ship me another one of your spare address chips?

I'm thinking of having Ken create a pro grade PC board for my new upgraded BalcheckHR board scheme, which includes the new remote Z80 diagnostic option. Ken said he would be willing to create some pro grade PC boards for me. How does he work that? Would I have to install the components? Surely there would be some other Astrocade technical enthusiasts that would be willing to purchase such a board.

That is so cool. If there is a functioning Z80 on a motherboard that is suspicious, it is not necessary to desolder and substitute a new Z80 to determine if the suspicion is correct. There is now a new and simple Z80 test diagnostic option. Just connect my new upgraded BalcheckHR board and flip a dip switch to tri-state off the motherboard Z80.

Bye.

MCM

Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 1:00 AM

To: Allen S. and Adam T.

Subject: Remote Z80 Diagnostic Board

I finished hard wiring my new remote Z80 diagnostic prototype board. I'm testing it now. It's performing great, better than the breadboard, which had longer wiring and quick connect contact points. The hardest part of using this Z80 test board is remembering to press the reset button on the remote Z80 board instead of the Astrocade motherboard. This remote Z80 scheme was a cool idea! I'm likely going to someday hard wire this remote Z80 scheme together with the BalcheckHR scheme on one board so the remote Z80 can also run the 4 EEPROM diagnostic programs. Maybe Ken could create some pro grade pc boards. I also have a plan to build a multi-cart cartridge with 4 diagnostic programs. The intent of this diagnostic cartridge is to help you and I reduce the number of chips that are desoldered by guessing where a failure is.

I'm planning to mail Allen BD7 back to you this coming Mon Aug 2. I want to document my new prototype board, including photos and also photo copy some documentation for you. This remote Z80 should save you time and grief. It's real easy to use. Just connect it to the motherboard and power on. There's no switches on the board. Your cost is to swap two of my custom address chips that run great in low-res, but not in hi-res with some of your spare address chips. You ship me some custom address chips so I can test them in low and hi-res. When I find 2 of your address chips that run perfect in low and hi-res, then you're paid in full. Any chips that you mail me that don't work perfect in low and hi-res will be mailed back to you. That's the deal. OK?

Allen BD7 is working perfect using the remote Z80. Something is not quite right with the motherboard Z80. I ran the BalcheckHR Checkmate variation and the Fish Demo on BD7. They ran perfect. The Checkmate variation has no pizza break and will run 100 rounds nonstop. The Fish Demo is a very good test for motherboard perfection because it moves 10 fish around the screen using magic XOR graphic writes and has an elapsed time counter.

Bye.

MCM

The next two email messages that I will be posting here are both from August 5.

I hope that people enjoy reading about how Astrocade motherboards can be diagnosed using software designed by Michael.  Every time an astrocade motherboard is saved from the dustbin, I get a warm feeling inside me.

Adam

Michael saw this post yesterday and sent me some additional comments about it.

Adam

Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 2:11 PM
To: Adam T.
Subject: RE: Posted Hi-Res Astrocade Updates: July 21 and 30

Here are 4 photos of the remote Z80 CPU wire wrapped prototype board mentioned in the emails below.  Allen now owns this cool diagnostic tool.

51928216_RemoteZ80Board1.thumb.jpg.3190ca5b04f18e9eca054f4cb3fd0f80.jpg953709240_RemoteZ80Board2.thumb.jpg.823cf6e02fd24013d3be0620bee63989.jpg449392638_RemoteZ80Board3.thumb.jpg.eaf005a06753a78de6a20c4bc8972648.jpg1196167150_RemoteZ80Scheme1.thumb.jpg.6bfa2a7e250f342870417c1fcd08cbf5.jpg

I do have plans to add this tool to my current BalcheckHR board scheme. I would like to make this upgraded BalcheckHR board available as a professional grade PC board for any Astrocade enthusiast who is interested in using the board's various diagnostic programs to troubleshoot an Astrocade motherboard. I also plan to demonstrate the board's diagnostic programs on my you tube channel. The HR suffix stands for Hi-Res. The 8KB BalcheckHR package does include 2 hi-res diagnostic programs. There are 3 additional low-res diagnostic programs that are included with a multi-carted EEPROM. Browse the Balcheck section on the Bally Alley website for more info.

My plan is to work on the above projects after my final hi-res Astrocade project is completed.

Bye.
MCM  

Great pictures, Michael!

Adam

During the first week of August, Michael fixed a hard-to-find issue with an Astrocade board that he was repairing.  Here are the two email that he sent to Allen and me about it.

Adam

Sent: Thursday, August 5, 2021 6:53 PM
To: Allen S.
Cc: Adam T.
Subject: Allen BD1

Man, I've been experiencing Astrocade motherboard failures lately. My Allen BD1 had a failure recently.  The board powered on with a black screen and the Z80 Check program wouldn't execute. I thought maybe I killed the Z80 when I was using this board to test my new Remote Z80 diagnostic board. Turns out there was no negated 7M clock. This clock was not present at the Kludge board pin 1. Since the regular 7M clock was ok, I knew the crystal and transistor Q2 were ok. I never worked in this area of the motherboard before this failure.

- Found a way to remove all that RF shielding surrounding the Kludge board area.

- Desoldered the Kludge board.

- Desoldered U16.

- Soldered in the two 8 and 16 pin pc sockets you gave me. These were really nice sockets in that they had metal contacts on their bottoms to help make contact with the top motherboard solder pads. Do you remember where you purchased these sockets?

- Installed new SN75361AP and 74S74 chips.

- Soldered in a new crystal since the original was very old.

The motherboard works great again. Yippy! Now there are only 3 chips on this board with no sockets. Nice! I plan to use this board as a low-res test board and also as my final "modified for hi-res" motherboard. It's a dual-purpose board. Cool!

Bye.
MCM

Sent: Thursday, August 5, 2021 6:58 PM
To: Adam T.
Subject: Second Modified For Hi-Res Motherboard.

Good news! My second modified for hi-res motherboard is up and running perfect in low-res. This board killed 2 custom address chips. Man, I hate losing a custom chip to a failure. That sucks.

Bye.
MCM

It seems that Michael has really improved his skills troubleshooting nearly ten of Allen's most troublesome-to-repair Astrocade motherboards.

Adam

In these two updates from Michael, he describes testing Bally custom chips to Allen.  He also explains how his work is going on his hi-res boards.

Adam

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 9:47 PM

To: Allen S

Subject: ALLEN CUST ADR CHIPS

Some time ago, my hi-res SRAM Astrocade failed. The last several days, because I was making great progress in restoring the Astrocade, I decided to try and finish this project. I'm happy to report the hi-res SRAM Astrocade is up and running great again.

I tested your first of 6 custom address chips you mailed me, per our agreement, and found it to be operating perfect in both low and hi-res modes.

So you know exactly what I am doing with your chips, here is my detailed test procedure.

- Enter hobby room with shoes off.

- Touch metal light fixture before handling motherboard or components.

- Check custom address chip for bent pins.

- Clean dull pins using used 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

- Carefully install chip in socket. Use fingers to align pins if necessary.

- Make sure chip is all the way down into socket.

- Visually check all 40 pins for a bent pin.

- Double check 40 pins for good socket connections using an ohmmeter. Note: It is possible (low risk) during installation for the tip of a pin to be bent inward and under the chip.

- Use Bally schematic and MCM large data chip diagram to check all 40 pins for a good (zero ohm) connection. It takes nearly 20 minutes to perform this test.

MCM Design recommendation: Perform ohmmeter check test to confirm a perfect custom chip installation.

Place MCM temporary custom black finned heat sink with Si grease on top of the address chip.

This chip can heat up pretty warm when running in hi-res for a long period of time.

Use 6" fan to help dissipate heat radiating at address/data chips and power supply components.

This cooling option might extend the lifespan of the data chips, Q1 transistor or voltage regulators, which may not have internal thermal protection.

I have seen in the past, the custom address/data chips cease functioning when they got too hot, then function again when cooled down.

Run the following programs to test for a crash or graphic glitches.

Do power on motherboard 2 or 3 times to run all tests.

Any power on issues?

HI-RES MODE

- Original hi-res test demo*

- Watch entire multi-page demo (19 minute program)

- Hi-res 12 fish (magic writes) demo*

- Hi-res screen RAM test (will stop running if RAM error is detected)

- Test pattern variation (watch several passes)

- Low-res Checkmate on a hi-res map (run a few rounds to see if it will crash)

LOW-RES MODE

- BalcheckHR Checkmate variation, 100 rounds nonstop (crash test only)

- BalcheckHR fish demo**

- Balcheck nonstop test ** (will stop running if RAM error is detected)

*   Run at least 60 minutes

** Run at least 30 minutes

Label chip as an address chip and include MCM low and hi-res status assessments (GOOD or ISSUE).

Bye.

MCM

To: Michael Matte

Sent: Saturday August 21 2021 12:43:55AM

Subject: Re: Hi-Res Astrocade News

here's a preliminary sketch. tell me what you think.

On Tuesday, July 13, 2021, 03:06:04 PM EDT, <Michael Matte>

Hi Ken. It just occurred to me that your one SRAM chip idea may work if you wanted to multi-page the low-res mode. However, in the hi-res mode, at least 4 SRAM chips are required because of the way the hi-res mode map is fed into the data chip. Four 74LS166 chips are needed to serially feed the map into the data chip via the SERIAL 0 and SERIAL 1 inputs. Each of the 4 chips has 8 lines wired to screen RAM data outputs, totaling 32 lines for the data out serial feed.

I still would like to see a sketch of your idea. Once I see your idea in my head, I might be able to use a variation of the idea.

A new idea I have is to feed the output of IC6 in DWG3, which senses when all 4 RAS lines are high for the video scan feed, through an inverter and then to the four 74LS245 enable pins, which should disable the 4 chips from the 4 video data buses during the video scan. Then feed the DATEN line to a decoder to direct the appropriate video data bus for the Z80 screen RAM read or the magic OR, XOR function read. This idea is similar to the 74LS253 application in the hi-res DRAM scheme. I might have to tweak this idea. Anyway, this is an idea I will definitely experiment with.

Bye.

MCM

Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 2:04 AM

To: Ken Lill

Subject: Re: Hi-Res Astrocade News

Thanks for taking the time to consider, then create a more simplistic SRAM scheme for the custom chip's hi-res mode and for emailing me your documented schematic. I can see you spent a good amount of time documenting your idea, emailing me a pro – grade schematic.

It looks like the Z80 would be able to write to or read from your hi-res SRAM scheme. However, the scheme is not compatible with the custom chip hi-res video display scan (read).

You should check out DWG 6, which is archived at

https://ballyalley.com/documentation/hi-res_packages/hi-res_packages.html

Scroll down near the bottom to view DWGs 1 thru 6.

DWG 6 shows the entire video display scanning scheme with an overview commentary. There are also some DWG 6 comments just before DWG 1. The commentary will also point you to a doc with an in depth description of the custom address/data chip operation in low or hi-res modes, including the hi-res video display scan. The Nutting Manual system description also provides some info.

I could hook up my Kingst LA and save a hi-res sampling that would show the video scan wave forms. I could run my short "Z80 Halt" program, so all you'll see on the sampling are the wave forms related to the hi-res video scan. This program will halt the Z80 so it will just execute NOPs. The Z80 will not write to or read from the screen RAM when halted. Apparently, the video scan also doubles as a DRAM row address refresh, so you probably wouldn't even see an independent refresh attempt in the sampling. I think, if I emailed the saved sampling file, you would be able to view it. Let me know if you would like me to email you a sampling of the custom chip's hi-res video display scanning.

My failed hi-res SRAM Astrocade is now up and running great again. This is the Astrocade with the hi-res 128KB, 8 page multi-pager. I now have 2 working modified for hi-res motherboards with a 28 pin dual in line ribbon cable socket mounted on the bottom front of the motherboard. My hi-res DRAM Astrocade utilizes a 24 pin socket.

I have begun work on my final hi-res Astrocade which will have 3 add under boards along with a provision for a 4th board. There will be a sliding horizontal rack for boards 2, 3 and 4. I'm utilizing a customized 7 x 8.5" quick connect breadboard first for board 1, so I can make quick changes to run various tests.

The breadboard 1 will only have the screen SRAM and its interfacing. I am expecting to have this board running in low-res within a week.

I have come up with a really cool building block wiring procedure. This should really help me isolate any incompatibility issues with my newly modified for hi-res motherboard, which appears to have a Z80 screen RAM read issue with my SRAM scheme as documented on the Bally Alley.

I have 3 reasons to further investigate the Perkin's hi-res interface, which is also documented on the Bally Alley. I broke down the Perkin's interface schematic into 3 schematics so the interfacing scheme is easier to read. My quick connect breadboard 1 will be used to further my Perkin's investigation and run "Perkin tests".

My DWG 5, as documented on the Bally Alley, is set up for a manual low or hi-res selection.

A low/hi-res software selectable scheme will require additional chips. My now running low/hi-res SRAM Astrocade is software selectable and works great. In this case, the low/hi-res mode indicator latch is wired on the load side of the multi-pager data buffer.

I ran an experiment and wired the D0 bit latch on the line side of the multi-pager 74LS245 data buffer, which was directly connected to the Z80 data D0 line. This simple change creates a black screen power on issue. I mentioned this issue to you previously and you recommended adding a pull-up resistor to this flip-flop latch input connection. I wanted to let you know I have not yet tested your recommendation, but plan to test the recommendation during my breadboard 1 project.

I have also bread boarded and tested a simplified 4KB low-res only SRAM scheme that can plug into either of my two 28 pin modified for hi-res motherboards. This scheme works great. The low-res scheme was really created to be used as a diagnostic tool should my hi-res SRAM Astrocade fail in the future. This diagnostic low-res board should help determine if a failure is on the modified motherboard or on the low/hi-res SRAM board.

Since there doesn't seem to be much of a hi-res interest within the Astrocade community, I'm debating whether I should spend time recording a video series on my YouTube channel that highlights the building progress of my final hi-res Astrocade. If I do record the video series, watch for a video of this low-res only board running with the modified for hi-res motherboard.

I'm sending Adam a copy of this email because of his interest in MCM Design projects.

Bye.

MCM

-----------------------------------------

I have just one more hi-res update from Michael to catch-up on and post here.

Adam

On September 10, I posted links in this thread to part 3 of Michael's modified hi-res Astrocades, which showcased his Hi-Res Multipage Test Demo.  You can see that posting here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/254592-hi-res-bally-arcadeastrocade-correspondence/?do=findComment&comment=4903283

Here is Michael's reply to me, which he sent the same day.

Adam

---------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 8:32 PM
To: Adam Trionfo
Subject: Re: MCMs YouTube Channel

Thanks for the cool comments. I agree, the multi-pager has the potential for some really cool hi-res multi-scene games.

I'm hoping to finish building my final hi-res Astrocade in say, 10 months? Most of the design schemes have already been tested, so building the final wire wrapped prototypes for boards 1 and 2 shouldn't take too long. All 3 add-under boards will be bread boarded first so I can make quick tests/changes when needed.

The challenge will be the pattern transfer board 3, trying to determine precisely how it manipulates graphic patterns. This will be very time consuming. Documentation for the graphics application of this board is sadly very poor. I'll likely have to refer to chip data sheets, breadboard some of the chips separately and write short ML graphic programs to test my understanding, so I can determine exactly how this board utilizes its 5 (or 6?) control modes of bit manipulation. It is not yet clear to me if this board was also intended to write graphic patterns to magic RAM to utilize the custom magic functions. I may break down the machine code for the first graphics page of the Wizard of Wor.

Once this 3rd hi-res Astrocade is built and fully tested, I can then focus on writing hi-res software. That will be fun. I think you already know I'm determined to write a hi-res version of the Incredible Wizard. What about a hi-res multi-scene game? Maybe, or at least a multi-scene demo with a lot of graphics. That would be cool.

Bye.
MCM

-----------------------------------------

Ten months sounds like a reasonable time frame for Michael to work on this project.  I like that he gives himself realistic goals.

Adam

Michael has uploaded another video about his hi-res machine.  Here is the latest update he sent to me (with very slight edits):

Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2021 12:19 AM
To: Adam and Lance
Subject: MCM Design's Modified Hi-Res Astrocades Part 4

My part 4 video is now available for viewing. The search criteria below should point you to my youtube channel.

youtube channel MCMs Astrocades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=higsVIfIS30

You will likely have to manually select the 720p playback option. YouTube seems to no longer allow the publisher to set up a video so the recorded video playback will automatically be set to the recorded video resolution.

This video is "dry" but details the internal hardware. Sorry, there are no graphic demos in this video. I wanted to document on youtube the hardware for my original custom hi-res DRAM Astrocade. The part 5 video will be similar for my hi-res SRAM Astrocade, but much shorter in time length.

Bye.
MCM

I have not yet watched this video.  I hope to watch it in the next few days.

Adam