IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

post-47192-0-58563100-1467971272_thumb.pngMany sources online state that this Christmas, Atgames will release not only the Atari Flashback 7 but also the Atari Flashback Portable! This gets me very excited because for nearly two years now I have been wanting a portable Atari Flashback console to become a reality as you can see on this video I made quite a while ago on my old YouTube channel:

Here is a video by The No Swear Gamer with more information on the Atari Flashback Portable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE5NBonvUt4

Here is some more information on the console that I found on atai.IO:

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/2210-coming-this-christmas-atari-flashback-7-and/?hl=%2Batari+%2Bflashback+%2Bportable

Please take into account that I haven't been able to find any information directly from Atgames so I apologise if any of this information is incorrect. However, please feel free to post any new information you find here and share your thoughts on the console. I would love to get a discussion going! :D

• Like 8

Please take into account that I haven't been able to find any information directly from Atgames so I apologise if any of this information is incorrect. However, please feel free to post any new information you find here and share your thoughts on the console. I would love to get a discussion going! :D

We'll be releasing an official press release soon, but for now, all of the important information has been made available. The only real mystery is the game list, which I can't leak, but I'm sure as usual a retailer or two will have the info in their listing before the press release gets out.

What I find more fascinating personally is the vitriol on Facebook by a certain segment of Atari "fans". We finally get a portable Atari 2600 with SD card slots for $40 or less (at retail) and there's still tons of hate towards it. Whether it's complaining about having the six buttons on the front (despite my clarifying that they have good reasons to be there), people stating that they already have their own franken handhelds that are better, just get an Android handheld, hey this clones the look of the Genesis portable, it looks nothing like an Atari 2600, etc., the complaints from a vocal minority are never ending. That's why it's so hard to cater to that type of audience and why products like these tend to focus on the mass market rather than the niche/connoisseur. It's either make lots of people happy with an honest effort or never make a vocal minority happy no matter what you do.

• Like 28

We'll be releasing an official press release soon, but for now, all of the important information has been made available. The only real mystery is the game list, which I can't leak, but I'm sure as usual a retailer or two will have the info in their listing before the press release gets out.

What I find more fascinating personally is the vitriol on Facebook by a certain segment of Atari "fans". We finally get a portable Atari 2600 with SD card slots for $40 or less (at retail) and there's still tons of hate towards it. Whether it's complaining about having the six buttons on the front (despite my clarifying that they have good reasons to be there), people stating that they already have their own franken handhelds that are better, just get an Android handheld, hey this clones the look of the Genesis portable, it looks nothing like an Atari 2600, etc., the complaints from a vocal minority are never ending. That's why it's so hard to cater to that type of audience and why products like these tend to focus on the mass market rather than the niche/connoisseur. It's either make lots of people happy with an honest effort or never make a vocal minority happy no matter what you do.

I'm excited about it Bill :)

• Like 3

Well, I for one am very excited! I suppose you can't expect a product to make everyone happy but nevertheless, I can't wait to hear more about the Atari Flashback Portable! So, do you have a part in creating this system, Bill? You seem to know a lot about it! Sorry if the answer to this is obvious. I'm just very new to Atariage and haven't really delved this deep into this community before. I see that you're an author so do you know a lot about it because of that? :)

• Like 3

I'm just not excited about the MSRP everything else is fine.

Every time I've bought an AtGames thing, it's been at significantly less than the AtGames Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. It really is a "suggestion" in this case. I'm sure we'll see it for less than $50 in the usual places.

• Like 2

I'm just not excited about the MSRP everything else is fine.

MSRP price is indeed just a list price in the case of AtGames stuff. You almost always find it for $25 - $50 max, depending upon the time of year, special sales, etc.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

Well, I for one am very excited! I suppose you can't expect a product to make everyone happy but nevertheless, I can't wait to hear more about the Atari Flashback Portable! So, do you have a part in creating this system, Bill? You seem to know a lot about it! Sorry if the answer to this is obvious. I'm just very new to Atariage and haven't really delved this deep into this community before. I see that you're an author so do you know a lot about it because of that? :)

Yes, I'm a consultant for them. I'm not a developer, but I'm involved in most of the other areas.

• Like 3

Every time I've bought an AtGames thing, it's been at significantly less than the AtGames Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. It really is a "suggestion" in this case. I'm sure we'll see it for less than $50 in the usual places.

Definitely. There are some new retailers added this year as well, so it should be easier than ever to get the AtGames stuff.

• Like 4

MSRP price is indeed just a list price in the case of AtGames stuff. You almost always find it for $25 - $50 max, depending upon the time of year, special sales, etc.

I just hope that it's available in the UK at a reasonable price. The only place where I have seen previous consoles of this kind in the UK has been on Funstock.co.uk and they are often quite expensive there. For example, the Colecovision Flashback costs £54.99 there which I find to be quite pricey. I am guessing that this is because Funstock has to import the consoles from another country but I'm not sure. However, the Atari stuff does seem to be a bit cheaper with the Atari Flashback 6 costing £44.99 so I guess we'll have to see what price the Atari Flashback Portable ends up being for those of us in the UK.

Edited by Byron's Reviews
  • Like 1

Finally! Yes! :D This is sooooo going to be a day 1 pickup for me. I've been crossing my fingers for a portable Atari Flashback with an SD card slot for years now, and it's finally coming!

I've been hoping that it would be made for a long time too! It's very exciting! :D

• Like 2

Can you release the list of old/new retailers?

I can't talk about the new ones yet, but I'm hoping to get them all in a future press release. Past retailers include the bigger ones like Bed, Bath & Beyond; Toys R Us, and Sam's Club, so anything new is along those same lines. If you're in the US, it won't be an issue tracking this stuff down.

• Like 3