IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Philips owns them, and a while back allowed this Videopac emulator onto the Google Play store. Small discussion here and an interview with the developer (who did some Videopac games) here.

Triple digit sales would probably be a stretch goal. :-(

Have you tried it? I find it unfathomable. It's possible it's too smart for me, and I prefer the dead-simple O2 stuff instead. Ed Everett's old games were the best.

It's free to try but it's more like a chemistry lesson than a video game. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/kc-returns/9nblgggzpw4k

It has an educational theme and has recently been revised - the maze is back if you haven't see the latest edition.

The portability and the SD card functionality is very exciting!

Lack of joystick input is a little dissappointing, especially considering it has been a standard feature. .. Lacking this feature makes the onboard control input very important and I'm pretty skeptical of what I see in the picture. .. It might seem impractical to play a portable with seperate joysticks/paddles but it would help justify whichever permanent controls are installed which inevitably are going to alienate some people.

The console versions have had good industrial design, as iconic miniaturizations of the originals. .. Something similar would be cool to see with future portables.

• Like 1

ATGames makes those terrible portable Genesis consoles. I see the d-pad isn't improved either.

The D-pad is one of the better things about the AtGames portable Genesis. You're talking about the handheld, not the TV console, right?

I love the little case of the handheld

I love the SD cart slot

I like the controls

I sorta like the screen

I sorta like the menu firmware

I do not much like the sound and music

but as a unit, I like the thing. It's a good toy, especially for the price.

• Like 1

The sound issues in AtGames products worry me a bit. Not that sound was a major selling point of 2600 games, mind you.

Sound issues are really only present in the Genesis products due to a chip design issue. Fortunately, the two Sega October releases will be the last time such issues will be present since this is the final year for use of that hardware platform.

For what it's worth, the Atari Flashback Portable uses a different hardware platform than any other AtGames product, even the console version of the Atari Flashback.

• Like 5

Funstock now have this up for pre-order for those of us in Europe (with some rather questionable home-made looking 'renderings'):

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/atari-flashback-portable-retro-gaming-handheld

Bizarrely I found out the other day that they are based only around 10 miles from me, small world! (or small country more like...)

• Like 1

Funstock now have this up for pre-order for those of us in Europe (with some rather questionable home-made looking 'renderings'):

Bizarrely I found out the other day that they are based only around 10 miles from me, small world! (or small country more like...)

Thanks for sharing! Funstock has always been a great company to buy from with my past experience so this makes me very happy! (:

The screen shots show 7800 Asteroids and Centipede. Are these the TBD games? The screen on the handheld itself shows VCS Asteroids.

The screen shots show 7800 Asteroids and Centipede. Are these the TBD games? The screen on the handheld itself shows VCS Asteroids.

They took liberties because all the info is not yet available. It's only 2600 stuff. The official game lists will be revealed soon.

• Like 2

If this thing is basically a portable Genesis, why not include the LYNX games in the library as well? THAT would make this the best Flashback yet! Think about it! 2600 and Lynx games all on one unit. That would be something i would pick up right away!

It's not a portable Genesis in any way other than re-using some of the case molding.

In terms of the Lynx library, unfortunately, Atari owns only a handful of games still, so there's not much there to use, and certainly nothing of enough interest to make the effort worth it.

• Like 3

Pre-ordered the two PS4 games. Is the portable going to be available to pre-order soon? Maybe once the games list is released?

I'm not aware of any pre-order programs. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them, though, as they'll be available at all the usual major retailers like Toys R Us; Bed, Bath & Beyond; Staples; Sam's Club; Wal-Mart; Target; etc.

• Like 2