IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Yes. Well take comfort that backups saved the day. All hail backups!! Are you with me now? All hail backups!! (Grand patriotic music plays in the background. The Blue Angels fly a demonstration. Oil companies announce half-price gas.) As a reminder, it is now getting into Winter here in North America and everyone should review their personal backup policy and take action.

Take even more comfort that the whole idea of corrupting a videogame compatibility list is like so lame. As long as the list is posted more securely it should infuriate the "attacker", as their troubles were for naught. And were even beneficial to you, you see, you now know how to do things more securely.

• Like 3

Looks like the cable thevnaguy posted is a standard stereo audio cable. If indeed the right channel carries video, you would probably need a 1/8" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter, otherwise you'd get composite video in the right headphone, which would sound terrible and potentially damage your hearing.

I'm kind of confused, but it sounds like you're talking about getting headphone output from the AV-out port. Why not just plug headphones into the headphone port?

AFAIK, most four prong third party A/V cables carry left channel on the tip, right channel on the first ring, ground on the second ring, and composite video out on the outer sleeve (bottom). Reason for this is standard stereo jacks have the ground prong higher up on the sleeve, or second ring from the bottom. An alternate wiring also exists that places ground at the bottom sleeve. I think Apple used to do this with old generation iPods.

Actually, as I wrote in the post I linked to earlier, the iPod video-out cable had ground at the same position. And (also from that post), the tip-to-base ring ordering most common in composite video cables for camcorders is left-video-ground-right, not left-right-ground-video. But again, it's only the most common ordering, not a standard.

Back to topic, I ultimately passed on the portable in favor of the Flashback 7.

I was going to ask you to verify that the debug mode entry code and its display were unchanged from previous AtGames Atari Flashback consoles, but then I read your post saying you're keeping it untouched until Christmas. And besides, I've already got stuff for you to check with your Retro-Bit Generations. :P

Why does the portable have fewer games? My understanding is if AtGames has paid the licenses anyway, they should have included all 100 games on the portable instead of just 60. :P

The Portable is not using the Titan chip that the previous AtGames Flashbacks have all used. I don't know if development for its Monkey King chip requires completely rewritten or recompiled code, but for the purpose of QA-checking a brand new breed of product, 60 games to test is far easier than 100. That's a likely explanation to me, anyway.

none of which control super well with spas in my opinion but they're fun to have.

I wouldn't recommend using spas as controllers for any game at all, but I won't judge.

I haven't used the Atari with headphones but I assume they duplicate mono sound in both ears. The Sega portable has stereo sound in headphones but the music is vomitous.

Ah, thanks for the answer. Vomitous in stereo is better than center-only vomitous, no?

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Actually, as I wrote in the post I linked to earlier, the iPod video-out cable had ground at the same position. And (also from that post), the tip-to-base ring ordering most common in composite video cables for camcorders is left-video-ground-right, not left-right-ground-video. But again, it's only the most common ordering, not a standard.

I believe Raspberry Pi uses L/R/G/V and most other devices that output stereo sound. As long as the ground pin is the third contact (second from bottom) you can reorder the RCA cables any way you want. For your camcorder, that would be swapping the Red and Yellow jacks.

Ah, thanks for the answer. Vomitous in stereo is better than center-only vomitous, no?

onmode-ky

I don't know about anyone else, but prefer my vomitous in 3D with surround sound! :woozy:
  • Like 1

Well maybe I will pick one up, if they ever come out. That compatibility list isn't that bad, I was expecting a bunch of "Tower of Doom"s.

Berzerk is a bummer, but maybe someone can hack it, since some of the hacks seem to work okay?

Halo 2600 would've been awesome, but I wasn't expecting a lot of homebrews to work, especially one that pushes so many hardware limits.

My FB Portable arrived!

Ebay ordered Thu, Nov. 17. after 5-pm

Arrived afternoon Sat., Nov 19!

No built-in Jungle Hunt, so it's new and not the early model????

•Three.s home brew fails displaying tiles. Unplayable. Sad as it is Really great to play Portable.

•My DrWho berzerk hack has the same Berzerk fire problem when player is on left or right side. An early 16k build w/o title screen plays better -- we were not using late cycle HMOVES earlier to make the left "comb" go away. The speech almost works, but it says only part of the sample with a repeat.

•Star Fire Warping fails.

•New Pac-Man 8K fails with skewed sprites. Unplayable.

+ ETfixedFinal works 100% and also my darker brown ET character hack.

• Like 3

Congrats on getting the FBP! And sounds like you got one of the newer models. Did you order from Atgames or eBay?

As for the Doctor Who game do you have a link to the older rom of the Doctor Who hack? I'm really surprised any of the voice sample worked. So far haven't hard any work on the games I tried.

Star Fire, would love to see that work on this at some point. I bought that years ago and got the patch from a score I sent in. :D

Pac-Man 8k, any idea why that isn't working?

And do you have a link to the ET hack?

(Might want to get some pointers on hacking/changing characters in a game. Got a hack I want to do.)

Edited by doctorclu

My FB Portable arrived!

Ebay ordered Thu, Nov. 17. after 5-pm

Arrived afternoon Sat., Nov 19!

No built-in Jungle Hunt, so it's new and not the early model????

•Three.s home brew fails displaying tiles. Unplayable. Sad as it is Really great to play Portable.

•My DrWho berzerk hack has the same Berzerk fire problem when player is on left or right side. An early 16k build w/o title screen plays better -- we were not using late cycle HMOVES earlier to make the left "comb" go away. The speech almost works, but it says only part of the sample with a repeat.

•Star Fire Warping fails.

•New Pac-Man 8K fails with skewed sprites. Unplayable.

+ ETfixedFinal works 100% and also my darker brown ET character hack.

Interesting about Starfire, it works on mine. I put the warp gate in my cross hairs and then press the fire button and I warp to the next level. could you try that one again? I am curious if it is indeed not working on your production unit but it does work on my preproduction unit.

Congrats on getting the FBP! And sounds like you got one of the newer models. Did you order from Atgames or eBay?

As for the Doctor Who game do you have a link to the older rom of the Doctor Who hack? I'm really surprised any of the voice sample worked. So far haven't hard any work on the games I tried.

Star Fire, would love to see that work on this at some point. I bought that years ago and got the patch from a score I sent in. :D

Pac-Man 8k, any idea why that isn't working?

And do you have a link to the ET hack?

(Might want to get some pointers on hacking/changing characters in a game. Got a hack I want to do.)

Ordered from ebay, shipped from California. I went with a 59.99 Buy It Now figuring I would get a preproduction one because others would be buying the ones listed cheaper. Wrong. So much for the Nov. 30 release date. These must have "fallen off the truck" or all those ebay people are not respecting atGames instructions to hold this until Nov. 30.

Links to DrWho hack are in my signature.

Although the title screen will be bad, try this one: http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=378737

New Pac-Man 8K has the sprites stair step to the right drawing down the screen problem, player sprite displayed about 32 pixels too far right. Mid-line color change is offset. Play field dots not position correctly.

ET hack I will have to edit that in.

Official: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207249-fixing-et-the-extra-terrestrial/?p=2671266

My "brown E.T." unofficial: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x25o1xz4u878sz/ET_Fixed_Final_dark.bin.zip?dl=0

Interesting about Starfire, it works on mine. I put the warp gate in my cross hairs and then press the fire button and I warp to the next level. could you try that one again? I am curious if it is indeed not working on your production unit but it does work on my preproduction unit.

I have a few Star Fire bin's because of its home brew development. I just tried the one with the newest date. It could be a hack done after the Xante released version. ?

• Like 2

New Pac-Man 8K has the sprites stair step to the right drawing down the screen problem, player sprite displayed about 32 pixels too far right. Mid-line color change is offset. Play field dots not position correctly.

So it is a timing thing. Can someone post a video (or screenshots) of what the playfield looks like?

I can imagine other games which rely on mid-scanline TIA updates may also have issues, ie Galaxian.

I'm wondering if Space Instigators displays properly? It also uses mid-scanline updates to the TIA in order to display 9 sprites per scanline without flicker: 3x P0 + 3x P1 + 3x P0 (P0 sprite data updated mid-scanline).

Links to DrWho hack are in my signature.

Although the title screen will be bad, try this one: http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=378737

ET hack I will have to edit that in.

Official: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207249-fixing-et-the-extra-terrestrial/?p=2671266

My "brown E.T." unofficial: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x25o1xz4u878sz/ET_Fixed_Final_dark.bin.zip?dl=0

E.T. is pretty cool. Played a few minutes of that.

On the early release version I have the version of Dr. Who Bezerk did not go past the title screen.

So it is a timing thing. Can someone post a video (or screenshots) of what the playfield looks like?

I can imagine other games which rely on mid-scanline TIA updates may also have issues, ie Galaxian.

I'm wondering if Space Instigators displays properly? It also uses mid-scanline updates to the TIA in order to display 9 sprites per scanline without flicker: 3x P0 + 3x P1 + 3x P0 (P0 sprite data updated mid-scanline).

Space Instigators works.

Here is a vid of what PacMan 8k is doing.

I hope so, but the accident also changed all the remaining files to unplayable, renamed a few roms and such. Pretty interesting "accident" :)

I can't imagine anyone being such a turd to do that on purpose. It was an accident, simple as that!

Seriously guys, thanks for the work making the list!

• Like 1

So far it seems if you ordered direct from Atgames.us you would have gotten a pre-production version (top one in attached picture) that has Space Invaders shown on the game screen of the portable. This one had the color arcade version of space invaders, also had front line and jungle hunt

The production unit (bottom one in attached pic) is what I got from Ebay, it seems the ones on ebay are most likely the production units from what I have seen posted so far by others who have ordered one from Ebay.

post-8976-0-76897400-1479786321_thumb.jpg