IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Unfortunately it appears that the Atari Flashback Portable can not play Homebrew games written in Batari Basic using DPC.. :(

I just ran through a bunch of tests.. Bummer!

One example of many.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233975-the-gizzle-wap-and-the-strange-red-tree-final-version/

Regards,

Dr.Woo

DPC+ is a complicated and AtariAge only thing. Reports so far are hit and miss with batari BASIC made games in general. Which, I guess is better than the Flashback 2.

John Hancock reported C@tacombs of Chaos worked but Game Panic had graphical aberrations.

Yeah this thing absolutely cannot handle bitd games like Starpath, Pitfall II, etc so DPC+ is definitely a big no-show.

Even the excellent 2600emu emulators for popular consoles like Android, Raspberry Pi, Ouya, Wiibrew, Xbox, PSP are running outdated Stella source code and cannot fully support the Melody enhanced homebrews. You really need a Windows/Mac/Linux PC with Stella, or a Harmony cart and original hardware to play those games.

• Like 4

Hi there,

No luck on the 2008 Denis Debro Pac-Man 4K versions I have tried. Players/enemies are offset too far right.

This must be caused by my hitting HMOVE at cycle 74.

It'd be interesting to see if these none working games could be hacked to be working games. I'll have to find one of these units.

• Like 2

So the Flashback Portable is getting out there and I thought I would share all my favs in one file. These come from various places. Some were suggestions we came up with here, others were roms or hacks I hunted down. If a game did not work I tried older versions to see if they worked better and so on. Not a complete collection, just some of the cooler ones I've found to play on the Flashback Portable.

So in this collection you will find:

The Dig Dug arcade hack.

The Omega Race Joystick Hacked version

Pac-Man 8k V2 (that is unbelievable! Loved it!)

BunnyBerzerk (which is one of the few hacks with flawless firing I've found so far).

The Mr. Roboto hack, which has the firing flaw but I work with it since Mr. Roboto is played.

Some demos (Doctor and Ascend)

The Wizard of Wor arcade hack (which is awesome with only a few screen flaws).

Varying other hacks for Pac-Man, plus some vintage roms. But a lot of game hacks. :D

The best version of Flappybird (V0) was included. Rough but some gameplay there.

Cybearg helped created the tweaked version of Fix It Felix which is not done but nicely improved. He made it where Felix is in the window, where the pie is more visible, and color contrasts of character to background. There is a strange space displacement going on in the emulation which is why the bricks don't line up yet. But what has been tweaked is already fun and looking much better! :D

If you know of other arcade versions we could add to this, or want to share a favorite collection of your own, I'd certainly like to try it. :D

In the meantime, my fun collection for you all for the holidays. Till of course I share a later collection. ;)

Doc Clu's Favs Dec 2016.zip

• Like 8

It appears some of the Activision titles are missing on the ROM database here, unless I am missing something.

Some time ago Activision requested AtariAge remove their ROMs from the database. The cart scans, screenshots, and other info are still there however.

Hi there,

This must be caused by my hitting HMOVE at cycle 74.

It'd be interesting to see if these none working games could be hacked to be working games. I'll have to find one of these units.

Don't bother with trying to fix stuff that ain't broken. Efforts to tweak ROMs to be compatible with known broken emulatiors could be better spent towards more constructive endeavors.

My two cents...

• Like 3

So I picked up my FB Portable today and everything appears to work fine.

However, I have had it on charge for a couple hours now and the the Charge LED is still red.

Does it turn yellow when fully charged like the manual saids? How long does it take?

Takes several hours but eventually the charge light turns green.

• Like 1

Hi Guys.

I finally found one last unit tonight in a Bed Bath And Beyond. Over the past week or so, Ive been in a bunch of stores. They're always sold out. So I got the only unit I could find.

The display and sound on mine seem weird. The display has an annoying polarized effect when looking dead on. If I hold it slightly to the left or right the screen looks good. But looking straight on, it hurts my eyes. The sound is good and loud but makes a humming noise an other noises, like ther's a short or something. Sometimes it clicks and clacks like there's a hard drive in there.

Are they all like this, or did I get a beat one?

Other than that, it seems great. The controls and buttons are precise. It has a quality feel to it. I read some complaints about the sound being cheap or tinny. Aside from the hum and clicks. To me, it sounds as good as my NDS.

• Like 2

I wish Bed Bath & Beyond would send me my 20% off coupon already. Signed up for text advertisements from them to get the discount before ordering this, but no sign yet after 20 hours of a discount code.

I don't know if you got your coupon yet. But if you ask a manager nicely at the service desk they will comp you a coupon. They punch in their code in the register, and it prints a 20% off single item coupon on a register tape. Then then you go to the cashier with it.

• Like 1

So the Flashback Portable is getting out there and I thought I would share all my favs in one file. These come from various places. Some were suggestions we came up with here, others were roms or hacks I hunted down. If a game did not work I tried older versions to see if they worked better and so on. Not a complete collection, just some of the cooler ones I've found to play on the Flashback Portable.

So in this collection you will find:

The Dig Dug arcade hack.

The Omega Race Joystick Hacked version

Pac-Man 8k V2 (that is unbelievable! Loved it!)

BunnyBerzerk (which is one of the few hacks with flawless firing I've found so far).

The Mr. Roboto hack, which has the firing flaw but I work with it since Mr. Roboto is played.

Some demos (Doctor and Ascend)

The Wizard of Wor arcade hack (which is awesome with only a few screen flaws).

Varying other hacks for Pac-Man, plus some vintage roms. But a lot of game hacks. :D

The best version of Flappybird (V0) was included. Rough but some gameplay there.

Cybearg helped created the tweaked version of Fix It Felix which is not done but nicely improved. He made it where Felix is in the window, where the pie is more visible, and color contrasts of character to background. There is a strange space displacement going on in the emulation which is why the bricks don't line up yet. But what has been tweaked is already fun and looking much better! :D

If you know of other arcade versions we could add to this, or want to share a favorite collection of your own, I'd certainly like to try it. :D

In the meantime, my fun collection for you all for the holidays. Till of course I share a later collection. ;)

Thanks so much for doing this!

I believe I've already filled up my card (4GB)...I should probably buy an 8GB...

So I picked up my FB Portable today and everything appears to work fine.

However, I have had it on charge for a couple hours now and the the Charge LED is still red.

Does it turn yellow when fully charged like the manual saids? How long does it take?

My manual says charge it for 11 hours the first time and subsequent charges take about 7 hours...

Got mine yesterday from BB&B, but I'm not to open it until Christmas @_@

o_O

I'm assuming you have a lot of other things on there besides just 2600 ROM files...

Nope just 2600 ROMs, but maybe it isn't full...I may have jumped the gun on thinking so...It acted up once and I assumed it might be...I suppose I better find some more ROMs and see if they fit...:)