IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Yeah so did I. What is that - is Atari Flashback® Ultimate Portable Game Player something different than Atari Flashback® Portable Game Player?

If not then they need to work on their wording, because you know words matter...

Yeah that wording got me at first, but I clicked on their link...Then I figured they'd just thrown the word Ultimate in there haha...

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought one the other day and I am having fun playing Asteroids at lunch time on it. I wanted to ask about the SD card that can be used to load other games. What is the largest size SD card that it will support? Are there any SD cards from certain manufacturers that won't work with it?

I just bought one the other day and I am having fun playing Asteroids at lunch time on it. I wanted to ask about the SD card that can be used to load other games. What is the largest size SD card that it will support? Are there any SD cards from certain manufacturers that won't work with it?

Up to 8GB is the official recommended max, although there are reports of bigger sizes working. Most SD card brands should work. Refer to this and other threads on here for proper formatting and a starter pack of games, etc.

All of your questions can be answered here in this FAQ's list:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258970-atari-flashback-portable-faq-and-compatibility-list/

• Like 2

Well excellent news! Bed Bath and Beyond here in Vancouver BC finally has them in stock. Just got mine tonight and sooooooooooooooo looking forward to firing this beauty up.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd just as quickly they taketh away. I was just in the same store yesterday and the whole rack of Flashbacks is gone. Either that or they moved them to some obscure corner of the store.

Glad I got mine when I did.

• Like 1

I bought a few of these and they work great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016LFN2C/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=5fd7f216e06f77e89878538b1a80de49

The red plug is video, so I wrapped some yellow vinyl electrical tape around the red end to remind me that if I want to use it for video with my Atari or Genesis portables, to use that one.

In fact, every standard audio cable I've tried so far has worked just fine. I had a few shorter ones that I tested before I ordered these 12ft ones, and they all worked.

Are the colors messed up at all?

For me with this cable, the top and the bottom of the screen are off. The non-silver 2600 game cases for instance on the game select screen don't look like they're just a single color, with the color shifting for the bottom 25% or so of the box.

Not perfect because of this, but I thought the picture looked pretty sharp on my CRT.

Edit: A lot of the cord was still coiled up. I wonder if it's not shielded quite enough and that caused interference?

Edited by Atariboy

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddd just as quickly they taketh away. I was just in the same store yesterday and the whole rack of Flashbacks is gone. Either that or they moved them to some obscure corner of the store.

Glad I got mine when I did.

Gotta wonder how many people bought them? Did they liquidate/destroy the stock or send it back to the warehouse? :sad:

Are the colors messed up at all?

For me with this cable, the top and the bottom of the screen are off. The non-silver 2600 game cases for instance on the game select screen don't look like they're just a single color, with the color shifting for the bottom 25% or so of the box.

Not perfect because of this, but I thought the picture looked pretty sharp on my CRT.

Edit: A lot of the cord was still coiled up. I wonder if it's not shielded quite enough and that caused interference?

For me, the picture looked great. Well... just like any other Flashback console. :)

Edit: Oh, and I picked up a soft PSP case that fits perfectly. The only thing about it that I would change is the color. The case is black with blue trim and I would prefer black with orange or red trim, but for $2.69 at Gamestop, I ain't complaining. :)

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 2

Just a heads up (don't know if anyone figured this out yet and posted, but if not, here is a tip).

I had an AV wire handy that was stereo out with a video cable (three wires out, instead of the recommended ATGames cable that is Video/Yellow and Audio/White). When I hooked it up, I had sound to the TV and no video. For a while, I thought maybe my unit was defective or this particular cable just would not work.

Then I discovered that the RED output on the three wire AV cable became the video signal, the WHITE was audio, and the Yellow was unused. So, issue solved.

• Like 1

Just a heads up (don't know if anyone figured this out yet and posted, but if not, here is a tip).

I had an AV wire handy that was stereo out with a video cable (three wires out, instead of the recommended ATGames cable that is Video/Yellow and Audio/White). When I hooked it up, I had sound to the TV and no video. For a while, I thought maybe my unit was defective or this particular cable just would not work.

Then I discovered that the RED output on the three wire AV cable became the video signal, the WHITE was audio, and the Yellow was unused. So, issue solved.

That's because it is using a standard stereo TRS jack for monaural audio and video. The sleeve pin on the TRRS plug, normally reserved for video on specially made cables, is not connected. They had TRRS stereo + composite cables at Radio Shack but they were premium $$$ over the TRS stereo cables.

The sleeve pin on the TRRS plug, normally reserved for video on specially made cables, is not connected.

There is actually more than one standard for TRRS video cables, as I've mentioned before. This chart at Wikipedia (ignore the first two rows, which don't have to do with video) shows that there are at least four orderings in use of the jack's T, R(1), R(2), and S conductors. Video is on the Sleeve conductor for only one of the orderings in the chart, the one used by old iPods. In any case, the only really critical conductor to match with your device is ground; as long as ground is on the conductor that is correct for your device, then you can just swap around the RCA connector heads until you figure out which one has what, among left-audio, right-audio, and video. Fortunately, it looks like most of the TRRS video standards have ground at the R(2) conductor (i.e., the one that is second up from the base of the jack).

It looks like your video cable is the old iPod style I mentioned above. AtGames' mono-audio + video cable's T, R, and S should be T = white (audio), R = yellow (video, but normally right-audio when the RCA head is instead red), and S = ground. If we transpose that onto the T, R(1), and R(2) of a four-conductor cable (the additional, fourth conductor is at the new Sleeve position, and gets no signal from the AFBP), the one where T = white, R(1) = red instead of the expected yellow, and R(2) = ground is that old iPod style.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to "fix" anything, just letting you know what kind of video cable you found. :)

onmode-ky

• Like 1

No, that's fine.

I just know that I gave up for a week because I thought my wire or my flashback was incompatible or non-functioning, when I just should have tested the Red wire with the video signal. Not that anyone else had this problem, but I did see someone post somewhere (perhaps the AtGames forum or something) that the wire they attached did not work.

ALSO, make sure you hook your AV cable to the AV out and NOT the headphone jack. Yes, the cable will fit in either hole, but if you are in a dark room, you may mistake one for the other. As one other user pointed out, you can use a separate audio cable out in the headphone jack and send two channels to your tv audio.

Edited by keithbk