IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Two audio channels = double mono, right?

Are there any VCS games that support stereo sound, even though the hardware does not?

The hardware can be modded to send both audio channels off the TIA to separate speakers. Certain games will sound better than others, so a mono/stereo switch may be useful if you perform the mod on real hardware.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reliability wise what is everyone's experience? I bought one and probably have less than 30 minutes play time on it when suddenly the screen goes dark. I can sometimes get the menu to show but as soon as I select a game it goes black.

I don't use it all the time, but mine's had no issues whatsoever...

If you can return it DaveD, you should. That or try to email the company or something...Sounds like something's definitely wrong there...I don't like to think that "Disposable Electronics", or "Planned Obsolescence" is to blame, but "Poor Build Quality" is essentially the same thing. I guess I see the former 2 as some kind of evil corporate plan, whereas the latter can be accidental...

Tell AtGames They Owe you a New One!

Disposable electronics.

Yeah. Just looking at it you know it's cheap. I'd be okay with that as long as it worked.

I just wish it died BEFORE I bought the SD card, 12' AV cable, HDMI cable, and AV/HDMI converter to hook it up to the TV. Totally disappointed.

Reliability wise what is everyone's experience? I bought one and probably have less than 30 minutes play time on it when suddenly the screen goes dark. I can sometimes get the menu to show but as soon as I select a game it goes black.

Wonder if a complete disconnect and reconnect of the battery would be useful?

Back in the day consoles like the VCS or Apple II were rock solid built from materials that have seen little or no degradation today. I can't imagine the elastomerics in these portables lasting more that 5 years.

If a VCS cost $10 back in 1977 ($40 today), I'm sure it wouldn't have lasted all that long either. Instead, it cost $199 back in 1977, or about $800 today. Let's not even get started on the cost of the Apple II...

If anyone is having technical problems with their AtGames hardware, I definitely recommend contacting the company. If you have trouble, let me know, and I'll escalate the issue for you.

• Like 7

I will try to email them at their site. I noticed there is a support page and "repair & exchange" service offered for some units.

Does anyone still have their AFP box/paperwork? I discarded mine and just wondered if there's any official mention of a warranty on the product.

• Like 1

I will try to email them at their site. I noticed there is a support page and "repair & exchange" service offered for some units.

Does anyone still have their AFP box/paperwork? I discarded mine and just wondered if there's any official mention of a warranty on the product.

I think 30 or 90 days is standard ...they should fix this so long as you haven't obviously abused it. If they hassle you, I would take Bill up on his offer to kick things up a notch.

This scan of the manual is on their product page. It talks about returns and exchanges but not warranty support. AFP_avqgdi.pdf

• Like 2

Back in the day consoles like the VCS or Apple II were rock solid built from materials that have seen little or no degradation today.

Even if something does go wrong with them, you can go into any Radio Shack (if you still have one) and buy the parts you need.

• Like 1

My local Radio Shack:

attachicon.gifWP_20170425_15_17_33_Pro.jpg

Fortunately, I have had no problems with my portable. But if I did, I'd be more likely to replace it instead of trying a repair.

Retail shops are closing all over the place...I heard a recent statistic about online sales overtaking physical store sales (measured in some manner I can't quote, possibly specific to clothes and malls, but still...)

• Like 1

Retail shops are closing all over the place...I heard a recent statistic about online sales overtaking physical store sales (measured in some manner I can't quote, possibly specific to clothes and malls, but still...)

Groceries, apparel, furniture, appliances, and hardware still going strong. Perishables, clothing, and stuff that's too large and cumbersome to mail, will always have a retail presence. Clothing only because you can try it on in the store to make sure it fits. At our local malls, apparel is about the only type of store that do well...

Electronics, music, games (once everything goes digital) are dropping like flies. Gamestop will be the next Radioshack. Mark my words...

• Like 2

All of ours are closing. :( Now where will I ever find the project boxes I need?

Oh... right.

Buying parts online is the absolute worst, though:

"Let's see, I need six resistors and a few caps, that comes to 50¢...plus $6 for shipping." >_<

Cheapest I can ever find is one of the numerous eBay shops in China.

Fortunately, I have had no problems with my portable. But if I did, I'd be more likely to replace it instead of trying a repair.

I was talking about repairing older consoles like Atari 2600 and Apple ][, though. The Portable might be a little less user servicable.

• Like 1

Yeah, paying for shipping is a drag...but imagine paying rent in a strip mall. Frankly it's somewhat amazing to me Radio Shack retail outlets lasted as long as they did.

Remember when they had those magic books and could special order just about any part (or video game) you could imagine? It's pretty cool that we all have immediate access to that kind of thing.