IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

For people who like physical games and buy a fair number of them, I would think Amazon's 20% off all new releases would be irresistible -- and the killing stroke for GameStop.

Poor Gamestop!

Selling all those Retro Classic PS3 games from so far back in the day....

I remember when I bought Twisted Metal for PS3 there brand new...I'm thinking I paid $60 for it, but when I found out you couldn't even control the car with the D-Pad (as it used the analog stick for (lack of) control)), I thought the game sucked...Now I couldn't get a refund of course, but thankfully Gamestop offered me $6 in credit!

Man I'll miss them!

• Like 1

Yeah. Just looking at it you know it's cheap. I'd be okay with that as long as it worked.

I just wish it died BEFORE I bought the SD card, 12' AV cable, HDMI cable, and AV/HDMI converter to hook it up to the TV. Totally disappointed.

Wanted to follow-up on this. I went back to give it another shot and carefully document exactly what was going wrong so I could share it with ATGames when I realized it was working again. Then again 10 minutes later it was cutting out again. So I unhooked everything and tried testing all the cables with other components. I think I've actually traced the trouble to the AV/HDMI converter. It seems very inconsistent. The screen blacking out is normal for the Flashback Portable when the AV is connected. If the converter is acting flaky, the TV doesn't get a signal and goes dark with a "no signal" error. It apparently doesn't scan for a signal after that even if one eventually is present unless I reset the TV input source. Bottom line is I think it's my maze of cables behaving strangely, not the Flashback.

Just wanted to set the record straight and say the Flashback seems to be performing as advertised.

• Like 2

Has anyone ordered the AV cable directly from AT Games or found one elsewhere that's compatible? If you bought one from AT Games, how long did it take for them to receive your order, as past experience with them was bad for me. If you found a compatible one, especially on Amazon, could you please share the link on here? Thanks!

Regarding Gamestop, all I will say is I won't miss them. The world needs more retrogaming stores! :cool:

• Like 1

Has anyone ordered the AV cable directly from AT Games or found one elsewhere that's compatible? If you bought one from AT Games, how long did it take for them to receive your order, as past experience with them was bad for me. If you found a compatible one, especially on Amazon, could you please share the link on here? Thanks!

Regarding Gamestop, all I will say is I won't miss them. The world needs more retrogaming stores! :cool:

The compatibility list/FAQ thread has some discussion about that. It's a fairly standard cable and you shouldn't have to overpay.

I got my Atari Flashback from AtGames, they shipped on time but nothing special or free.

• Like 1

Exactly what I was thinking AtariFan88!

To me, GameStop had their day in the sun when I was into modern games. Now they seem like a dinosaur! ***Surely there's some weird irony at play here that I like Retro things and I call the modern guys dinosaurs LOL***

I mean back when there was Babbage's, or Electronics Boutique, or GameStop, or whatever they were called this week, I went in there pretty often to buy PS1/PS2 games and they were fine and dandy, if a little corporate, but they sold games in the mall.

On the other hand, whenever I'd drive to Denver to check out BUY BACK GAMES, My mind would be thoroughly blown! Rather than just trying to sell me the latest thing, they had sections for almost Every system throughout time!...I'd see a whole section of Atari, Turbografx, and SNES games etc...All the way up to the latest and greatest...Plus exotic systems I'd never even seen before in other stores. Plus imports. Yessir, a difference of night and day!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Found a link in there

SF Cable, 12 feet 3.5mm Stereo Male to Two RCA Male Splitter Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016LFN2C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_R6fdzbM1BDXG5

I tried this and two other cables from Amazon. This cable doesn't seem to go all the way into the Portable's jack, and none of them cut off the built-in video and audio. I'm about to give up until the official cable is back in stock.

That said, I find that I don't care for the built-in display (old eyes) or controller. I think I bought it just because of the SD card support. Has anyone else considered transplanting a Portable's guts into a Flashback's case?

• Like 1

I tried this and two other cables from Amazon. This cable doesn't seem to go all the way into the Portable's jack, and none of them cut off the built-in video and audio. I'm about to give up until the official cable is back in stock.

That said, I find that I don't care for the built-in display (old eyes) or controller. I think I bought it just because of the SD card support. Has anyone else considered transplanting a Portable's guts into a Flashback's case?

I bought the same cable and it works fine on my portable. Transplanting a portable into a flashback is an interesting idea. I never even thought about it until you brought it up. For those that don't feel comfortable with the raspberry pi, this might be a nice alternative, although I would miss the HD graphics you get from a pi.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard from some people that they're gonna release a new Flashback Portable.

If they do, I feel that the upcoming Flashback Portable needs a paddle knob and a port for the second player. I have a portable Famicom that has a small, detachable controller for player 2. Plus maybe some emulation bug fixes then it would essentially be a great AFBP. Currently it feels like we have to make do with lots but with those additions, even though it won't be perfect (I'd still miss the keyboard controller games), it feels like a properly flawless kind of hardware, as opposed to what it is now with tons of emulation bugs, lack of 2 player and paddle games being unplayable, which makes it seem like a "make do" kind of console rather than an all-round standalone flawless kind of hardware, you know what I mean?
Also does Nintendo have a patent for a screen lid or something? It would be nice to have a little lid that covers the screen or the handheld. I pictured my own handheld system to have a lid you could open and snap onto the back of the console.

I've heard from some people that they're gonna release a new Flashback Portable.

If they do, I feel that the upcoming Flashback Portable needs a paddle knob and a port for the second player. I have a portable Famicom that has a small, detachable controller for player 2. Plus maybe some emulation bug fixes then it would essentially be a great AFBP. Currently it feels like we have to make do with lots but with those additions, even though it won't be perfect (I'd still miss the keyboard controller games), it feels like a properly flawless kind of hardware, as opposed to what it is now with tons of emulation bugs, lack of 2 player and paddle games being unplayable, which makes it seem like a "make do" kind of console rather than an all-round standalone flawless kind of hardware, you know what I mean?
Also does Nintendo have a patent for a screen lid or something? It would be nice to have a little lid that covers the screen or the handheld. I pictured my own handheld system to have a lid you could open and snap onto the back of the console.

AtGames, a company who released the same flawed Genesis clone year after year, probably isn't going to bother to spend time, money, and resources adding functionality or fixing minor bugs. It's almost as bad as the China clones: if it works, ship it. Don't spend a dime more trying to improve a product if it already works out of the box.

Totally different design philosophy from giants like Apple or Nintendo, who continue to make improvements to the quality of a product up until the eleventh hour, ensuring that the product they produce is the absolute best product they can achieve for a given price point. Or use top tier production facilities such as Foxcon.

Totally different design philosophy from giants like Apple or Nintendo, who continue to make improvements to the quality of a product up until the eleventh hour, ensuring that the product they produce is the absolute best product they can achieve for a given price point.

The biggest problem with Nintendo is their supply to demand. When the NES classic got pulled, leaving many people without one, that was just lame. If there is still a market for something, why pull the plug so early, unless there were bugs or flaws in it?! :roll:

• Like 2

The biggest problem with Nintendo is their supply to demand. When the NES classic got pulled, leaving many people without one, that was just lame. If there is still a market for something, why pull the plug so early, unless there were bugs or flaws in it?! :roll:

Because Nintendo hates money apparently... :roll: :roll: :roll:

• Like 1

Only Nintendo knows for sure. I think it's because NES Classic is a backwards-looking dead-end compared to the Switch.

People who bought a $60 NES Classic could sit back and only play the old games, it's not expandable ... and for the people who reflashed theirs, it can run even more old ROMs. Nintendo just gets the one $60, nothing else. Scalpers do better with this than Nintendo does.

The Switch, on the other hand, is the gift that keeps on giving, a dynamic platform with lots of new releases, and an online service with a steady income stream for Nintendo.

Sure, folks say "Nintendo is stupid" and "Nintendo hates money," because they want a bunch of cheap games in a cute box. From the financial perspective, it seems perfectly rational to do what they did. All they needed was a Q4 2016 financial boost, which they got.

If you want a self-contained retro box with a bunch of ready-to-go games in it, readily available in stores (albeit sometimes in places you wouldn't expect toys and games -- Bed Bath Beyond??), AtGames is your jam. I just hope they fix the long-standing issues with audio on the Sega machines, especially the handheld(s). If the Atari machine is the same as last year except for the software lineup, I'll probably stick with what I've got.

• Like 1

To be clear, the emulator has been tweaked (necessary because of some of the games added) and a few UI/UX changes have been implemented, but it's still more or less the same device, with the same basic pluses and minuses. The only wholly new products are the HD products. You should be able to read about the full line-up tomorrow.

I also completely understand the frustration with the products not getting substantial improvements every year, but these are not high margin products from a large company targeted to our needs. These are mass market toys for "average" consumers.

• Like 4

Only Nintendo knows for sure. I think it's because NES Classic is a backwards-looking dead-end compared to the Switch.

People who bought a $60 NES Classic could sit back and only play the old games, it's not expandable ... and for the people who reflashed theirs, it can run even more old ROMs. Nintendo just gets the one $60, nothing else. Scalpers do better with this than Nintendo does.

The Switch, on the other hand, is the gift that keeps on giving, a dynamic platform with lots of new releases, and an online service with a steady income stream for Nintendo.

Sure, folks say "Nintendo is stupid" and "Nintendo hates money," because they want a bunch of cheap games in a cute box. From the financial perspective, it seems perfectly rational to do what they did. All they needed was a Q4 2016 financial boost, which they got.

If you want a self-contained retro box with a bunch of ready-to-go games in it, readily available in stores (albeit sometimes in places you wouldn't expect toys and games -- Bed Bath Beyond??), AtGames is your jam. I just hope they fix the long-standing issues with audio on the Sega machines, especially the handheld(s). If the Atari machine is the same as last year except for the software lineup, I'll probably stick with what I've got.

So you're saying Nintendo was like "we'll put out this backwards-looking console to appeal to nostalgia! … OK now we won't put out some backwards-looking console for nostalgia!

And I disagree that they hate money. What would they be doing suing Nintendo fangames if they hated money anyway? As for me, I wouldn't buy the NES Classic Mini cause there's only 4 tolerable games in there. Having to spend now 170 Pounds on a collection of crappy games, nah.

AtGames, a company who released the same flawed Genesis clone year after year, probably isn't going to bother to spend time, money, and resources adding functionality or fixing minor bugs. It's almost as bad as the China clones: if it works, ship it. Don't spend a dime more trying to improve a product if it already works out of the box.

Totally different design philosophy from giants like Apple or Nintendo, who continue to make improvements to the quality of a product up until the eleventh hour, ensuring that the product they produce is the absolute best product they can achieve for a given price point. Or use top tier production facilities such as Foxcon.

So I'd the speculation that they'd come out with a new Flashback portable false? I mean if they're releasing another then it has to have improvements or else it'd just be the same. If they're thinking of doing what they do with the normal Flashback consoles like adding games it wouldn't make sense cause you could just add whatever they could with the sd card. Edited by Tangentg

So I'd the speculation that they'd come out with a new Flashback portable false? I mean if they're releasing another then it has to have improvements or else it'd just be the same. If they're thinking of doing what they do with the normal Flashback consoles like adding games it wouldn't make sense cause you could just add whatever they could with the sd card.

It doesn't have to make sense. It's what is happening. It's substantially similar to the previous handheld, save for some minor tweaks and new games. The target audience - which is not really us - probably doesn't even use the SD card slot.