IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

This seems cool. So sd slot for some games. Non replaceable battery once worn out it is junk. Limited supply usa only or ebay.

Is all this correct?

I have never seen a flashback in person. Funny they are on the 8th variety already.

My brother in law called and said there was an atari flashback and coleco in Winnipeg 6 1/2 hours away.

What stores to look for them bed bath and beyond only? Like why not wall mart and eb games etc. Probably want to take too much$$.

Ok found on amazon 85 bucks before shipping..how long does the battery last on a charge?

Seems pretty expensive. No cable to hook up to a tv?.(not needed anyways have a dozen better ways to play.)

• Like 1

This seems cool. So sd slot for some games. Non replaceable battery once worn out it is junk. Limited supply usa only or ebay.

Is all this correct?

I have never seen a flashback in person. Funny they are on the 8th variety already.

My brother in law called and said there was an atari flashback and coleco in Winnipeg 6 1/2 hours away.

What stores to look for them bed bath and beyond only? Like why not wall mart and eb games etc. Probably want to take too much$$.

Ok found on amazon 85 bucks before shipping..how long does the battery last on a charge?

Seems pretty expensive. No cable to hook up to a tv?.(not needed anyways have a dozen better ways to play.)

The Flashbacks have been around for a while. I don't own the Portable, so I don't have any info on that. Here in the USA, they have been showing up at Walmart. The Portable is $45, but the Flashback 8 is $88 I think. Locally, it seems like most stores have been carrying them for a while. Dollar General being one that has carried them since the beginning it seems. I have a Flashback 3 and a Flashback 4 with the wireless joysticks. They are pretty neat.

Is all this correct?

SD Slot is only on the Atari Flashback Portable - not the Atari Flashback consoles.

There are only 2 versions of Atari Flashback Portables: 2016 with 60 built-in games & 2017 with 70 built-in games.

The 2017 portable does have a battery door on the back to replace the battery pack (if needed).

The 8th variety is the actual consoles, not the portables.

I've seen Flashbacks at BB&B, Walmart, GameStop, Rite Aid, Dollar General, Walgreens (had INTV FB & Colecovision FB back in 2014), Sam's Club, eBay, Amazon, Toys R Us, QVC, etc.

I have the 2016 edition of the portable and the battery life is very long. I've only had it run out on me once in over a year.

Amazon price is high, if QVC delivers to Canada (?), then they might be your best bet right now: $50 for AFP with wall charger or $70 for AFP with wall charger & headphones.

http://www.qvc.com/Atari-Flashback-Portable-Deluxe-Handheld-with-70-Games-and-Accessories.product.E231061.html

http://www.qvc.com/Atari-Flashback-Portable-with-Headphones-and-AV-Cable.product.E290485.html

If you need the TV cord, order it off Amazon, I order it right before Christmas and just got it yesterday!

Only $4.09 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016LFN2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Cool thanks for the info.

Will wait for that day when I see one in a store. Will be an amazing find. Buying online seems like cheating. Can pay any price to find anything if a person pays enough from a reseller.

I already have one of those cords.

Shipping to Canada will be another 25 or 30 bucks. I guess I never wanted one bad enough to pay the inflated prices to get it here. One day will see in a store. One day.

We only have wall mart bb&b amazon and ebay. All those others like wallgreens and sams club etc are usa only. Toys are us is going broke.

• Like 1

Cool thanks for the info.

Will wait for that day when I see one in a store. Will be an amazing find. Buying online seems like cheating. Can pay any price to find anything if a person pays enough from a reseller.

I already have one of those cords.

Shipping to Canada will be another 25 or 30 bucks. I guess I never wanted one bad enough to pay the inflated prices to get it here. One day will see in a store. One day.

We only have wall mart bb&b amazon and ebay. All those others like wallgreens and sams club etc are usa only. Toys are us is going broke.

$37.99 USD at Groupon.. 5 days left!

https://www.groupon.com/latest-deals/gg-atari-flashback-portable-ultimate-classic-game-player

Edited by thetick1

Thanks to Nukey Shay, we have a fully working Defender 2 where the difficulty buttons activate Inviso and Hyperspace and Select activates the Smart Bomb here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259166-flashback-portable-needed-controller-hacks/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3669405

Shouldn't the compatibility list therefore list Defender II as "Modified to Work" rather than "Perfect"?

Similarly, shouldn't Stargate be listed as "Flawed" rather than "Perfect"?

Shouldn't the compatibility list therefore list Defender II as "Modified to Work" rather than "Perfect"?

Similarly, shouldn't Stargate be listed as "Flawed" rather than "Perfect"?

I made the changes. The "modified to work" option was not available back when Defender II was tested, so it was just listed as "Perfect" since the game loaded and was playable, even though all of the game button options were not available on the AFP.

• Like 2

Hi guys/gals! I'm just getting back into retro gaming and been looking at the Atari FB portable and this model came up during a search:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-Retro-Handheld-Plug-N-Play-With-50-Built-In-Games-OUT-FEB-ORDER-FAST/332490503938?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I believe it's not released until next month and i'm wondering do i wait for this or just buy the other portable being discussed in this thread?

Hi guys/gals! I'm just getting back into retro gaming and been looking at the Atari FB portable and this model came up during a search:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-Retro-Handheld-Plug-N-Play-With-50-Built-In-Games-OUT-FEB-ORDER-FAST/332490503938?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I believe it's not released until next month and i'm wondering do i wait for this or just buy the other portable being discussed in this thread?

That's by another company and does not feature an SD card slot, among other things.

• Like 1

More expensive and less functional? (It does, however, use regular batteries and comes with a fake coin, if you order now)

More expensive and less functional? (It does, however, use regular batteries and comes with a fake coin, if you order now)

I do really like the design they came up with, though. I wish AtGames was updating the design for 2018, but it's not to be, other than an improvement to the d-pad.

Also smaller screen, 2.4" versus 2.8" for FBP 2017 and 3.2" for 2016. That is really getting down there. They should sell special glasses with it.

• Like 2

I do really like the design they came up with, though. I wish AtGames was updating the design for 2018, but it's not to be, other than an improvement to the d-pad.

Looks a little clunky though...maybe it's smaller than it looks.

Also, those buttons just scream "NOAC", as if it were one of those Jakk's PNPs in a handheld format. Do we have any more info on this thing?

Is the d-pad a mini joystick, or more similar to the 3DS's circle pad?

Edited by Asaki

A better d-pad? :)

For all the nitpicking with the original Flashback Portable that people did, this by far is the biggest annoyance I actually had. Everything else can be pretty easily overlooked and the AtariAge community has resolved most compatibility issues which has upped the usefulness of the SD slot, but the d-pad made enjoying many games a frustrating experience when a diagonal is inadvertently activated.

A significant step forward in this area will make the 2018 model an appealing upgrade for me even if nothing else is enhanced.