IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

• 2 weeks later...

What do mean by wonky? Do you mean unresponsive or loss of precise directions ?

I find the directionals are not precise at all right out of the box. I have had one for 1 1/2 hours and the false screen size and the worse than kids meal gaming controls makes it close to unplayable.

Try river raid. Up is sometimes up but usually left and into a wall. Maybe never playtested or cared as long as it ran fine.

I guess the usa price point is so cheap it dont matter. But why add a sd slot and av out amd use a 2 cent controller??

Edited by Jinks

I find the directionals are not precise at all right out of the box. I have had one for 1 1/2 hours and the false screen size and the worse than kids meal gaming controls makes it close to unplayable.

Try river raid. Up is sometimes up but usually left and into a wall. Maybe never playtested or cared as long as it ran fine.

I guess the usa price point is so cheap it dont matter. But why add a sd slot and av out amd use a 2 cent controller??

Hi Jinks! I don't ant to play down your problems with your AFP but my controls are very good now. I did have a problem when pressing right on the pad as sometimes it would need tapping twice but now it is bedded in it really is great. I mentioned in an earlier post that games like breakout were not playable. I just wonder if your AFP has a fault?

I have no screen issues on 90% of the games that i have put on the SD card either.

When all said and done it is more of a Toy but i really like it and if my controls were like yours i wouldn't use it as it would do my head in!

Hopefully it will get better with more use of the D pad?

• Like 1

Probably can just return it. They only had that one left. Have to wait till someone makes something playable. Playing digdug is a nightmare up works sometimes but usually goes left.

Should have read the reviews. Only 2.7 rating 40% of the people reviewing return on control or display issues.

Probably can just return it. They only had that one left. Have to wait till someone makes something playable. Playing digdug is a nightmare up works sometimes but usually goes left.

Should have read the reviews. Only 2.7 rating 40% of the people reviewing return on control or display issues.

It sounds like you got a bad one. You should return it. And maybe ATGames is up to their old tricks....But maybe I'm just confused. I have had no problems with mine whatsoever, So I'm thinking no one else will have any trouble. I'd not be recommending them if I thought anyone was going to get a bad one. I guess I should tell people, "I Love mine, but if you get a bad one..Return it, so ATGames does better with Quality Control! "

It sounds like there are some bad ones out there, but 40% sounds pretty high to me. I'm thinking those who got a bad one are 10 times more likely to leave a review... Even 10% is too high, though.

I'm reminded of when I bought a PS3 at Circuit City. The guy behind the counter was trying very hard to sell me an extended warranty. This was at a time when one third of all XBOX 360s were being returned...But the failure rate among PS3s was 2% (If I remember correctly). So I just laughed at him and said, "No way!". He asked what I'd do if it fails...I told him SONY would take care of me. It still works just fine...

(I know it's not an expensive product, but seriously, ATGames should learn from SONY)...

• Like 1

Definitely exchange or return your defective unit.

Yeah I will this week for sure.

The problem was that was my one chance to have one as that was the only one in the store. I really really wanted to have one and have it work.

The controller issue is too much.

The design I think with the bumps on the dpads for the directions make it so it is almost impossible to go up or down with going left or right.

If one of these are ever made with a better controller and a bit bigger screen I would buy a couple of them as would make good gifts. I intended to use this 2 or 3 times a day.

Oh well. Real hardware it is..

Maybe put my crt on a cart to move around the house...

Edited by Jinks

• 3 months later...

I could probably make some more and send them out for $5 shipped to conus.

That is for the version 2 AFP right? I own the version 1.

You might want to show how to install one of them too. For the benefit of others that are going to purchase one.

• Like 1