IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

First, remove the battery compartment screw and lid and then the battery. Then remove the four screws holding the back of the case on. Then remove the three screws holding the PCB on. And slightly Flex the case to get the audio jack out and then you can lift out the PCB. Then take the d-pad rubber backing and take the d-pad out and put the new d-pad in. Reseat the rubber piece and make sure all other buttons and rubber pieces are seated in their original positions and then reverse the disassembly directions to reassemble.

post-64981-0-22213900-1529077780_thumb.jpg

post-64981-0-38491300-1529077793_thumb.jpg

post-64981-0-67980400-1529077804_thumb.jpg

post-64981-0-28264600-1529077819_thumb.jpg

post-64981-0-32562100-1529077836_thumb.jpg

post-64981-0-91080500-1529077865_thumb.jpg

post-64981-0-16270100-1529077885_thumb.jpg

post-64981-0-33150300-1529077900_thumb.jpg

Edited by fireslayer26
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hopping in here for a quick question as well. This flashback will NOT allow you to also load and play Lynx games right? That was kind of my hope if i get one of these!

No, no Lynx emulator in there. I'm afraid there's not enough of a market to justify the effort.

• 2 months later...

If you have an extra to send me as a "review model" I can start working on an updated AFP ROM pack! ;-)

I would love to, but we're not doing review models for this year's AFP. The emulation engine is the same, so the same ROM pack should work just fine. We just added additional functionality like rewind, save states, etc.

• Like 2

I would love to, but we're not doing review models for this year's AFP. The emulation engine is the same, so the same ROM pack should work just fine. We just added additional functionality like rewind, save states, etc.

maybe next year...... I'll hit you up then ;-)

• 3 months later...

Clearly just a clueless newbie or a troll. That is like asking ... why doesn't my Nintendo NES Flashback play Gamecube games.

Maybe so. I'd be interested in Lynx functionality. We're talking about a licensed Atari brand portable game unit. Why not throw out the desire? I don't have a clue about the programming language or how limited the hardware is to be able to accommodate. A Lynx resurgence would be way WAY awesome.

Fireslayer26: Are you still offering DPAD replacements? Mine doesn't like to roll from left to up, etc. I have to let go and re-press in the direction I want to go. Does your new one help this?

Maybe so. I'd be interested in Lynx functionality. We're talking about a licensed Atari brand portable game unit. Why not throw out the desire? I don't have a clue about the programming language or how limited the hardware is to be able to accommodate. A Lynx resurgence would be way WAY awesome.

It's not going to happen from AtGames or any other mainstream company, unfortunately. The Lynx is poorly remembered and Atari themselves has few of the original games (with few well-known titles) still in their possession. The best chance is for us to move to a future handheld that supports something like Stella and firmware updates and can have someone else make additional cores. On the plus side, for dedicated Lynx fans, getting a screen-modded Lynx with a flash cartridge is a really fantastic option.

• Like 5

It's not going to happen from AtGames or any other mainstream company, unfortunately. The Lynx is poorly remembered and Atari themselves has few of the original games (with few well-known titles) still in their possession. The best chance is for us to move to a future handheld that supports something like Stella and firmware updates and can have someone else make additional cores. On the plus side, for dedicated Lynx fans, getting a screen-modded Lynx with a flash cartridge is a really fantastic option.

It's time for a comeback! lol

I was wondering whether or not to do a Raspberry Pii emulator in a Lynx case, but now I'm straying far... I have considered a 2nd Lynx I system that I can hack the new LED screen on. It actually seems easier than backlighting an original Gameboy.

Meanwhile, I look forward to an improved FBP! Oh, can you suggest that they include a wrist strip that attaches to the left hand side? Just sayin'... The provisions are there... :D

Edited by tiktok4321
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This has probably been discussed, but there are 58 pages to go through, so I'm just going to ask the community. Does this run off Stella? And if so, can it be updated? There are some newer homebrews that dont run on the current version of stella, but I believe it may be updated at some point to a accomodate those. Thanks in advance.

This has probably been discussed, but there are 58 pages to go through, so I'm just going to ask the community. Does this run off Stella? And if so, can it be updated? There are some newer homebrews that dont run on the current version of stella, but I believe it may be updated at some point to a accomodate those. Thanks in advance.

The Portables run on an in-house AtGames emulator and can't be updated.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this has been said before (and I don't want to check 58 pages) but is there any chance that a future model will include a 9 pin controller port, or better yet, two? I like that the system can plug into a TV, but I don't like that it has to be used as the controller when it is in TV Mode (other hybrid consoles like the Switch, PSP Go, and Sega Nomad have no such requirement). Another problem that I have with the device is the controller itself, so it would be nice to be able to plug in an actual joystick, or a paddle, or a trackball, or a Genesis 6 button controller to keep the control scheme relatively similar to the Flashback Portable. Also having 2 controller inputs would solve the issue of multiplayer, as tons of classic 2600 games are made unavailable on the Flashback Portable because they are multiplayer only (looking at you, Warlords).

Of course, I doubt this will ever happen because the Flashback Portable 2019 shouldn't cannibalize the market of the Flashback 10, but I feel like the Flashback portable is held back by the lack of multiplayer and controller options (multiplayer and controller options happen to be my two favorite things about the original 2600)

@Mike_2000 You want an Atari Flashback 9, which has an SDcard slot and 2 9-pin connectors. The "Gold" variant comes with wireless controllers, and the regular one comes with wired controllers that feel very close to the originals. The system is cheap enough that it's not insane to have both the TV console and the portable. 

As you say, the Flashback 10 could be everything the 9 is and more ... but IMHO the 9 is pretty good as is. 

And besides, who wants to make the portable more chunky? Not me, anyway.