IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

I've read the reviews and unless I missed it, has anyone out there heard an exact release date for this in the stores? I keep reading elsewhere it will be at the end of November, but no specific date given yet. I am fine this will not be out until after Black Friday as I won't have to venture out into the over-crowded stores. My plan is to keep my eyes and ears open about a release and head to my local Bed, Bath & Beyond with my 20% off coupon and snag it for $40. That's plenty of savings without the hassle! :)

Unfortunately, it's impossible to give an exact date. We know when stores receive their inventory and when they're supposed to release it (the 29th), but that doesn't mean some won't release early, or, conversely, late. It's a safe bet that next week will be the wide release week. It's also a safe bet that some stores may have it out on shelves already.

Cons:

Not sure why the ROM files aren't sorted alphabetically when I pull up the SD card browser on the unit

The Genesis handheld has the same problem. I heard tell of a sorting utility called folder_sort that fixes this issue, but I haven't downloaded this yet.

I was out at Wal-Mart getting some of the new healthy low-salt Ramen soups and asked about when they'd get it in, they said try again in a week. So that's that.

Meantime they're starting black friday at 6pm on thursday. What an insult. Make people line up and miss the traditional dinner? I think I'm gonna cozy up and organize my emulators while all that shopping fracas is going on.

• Like 1

Meantime they're starting black friday at 6pm on thursday. What an insult. Make people line up and miss the traditional dinner? I think I'm gonna cozy up and organize my emulators while all that shopping fracas is going on.

Oh Black Friday can be a lot of fun. The late hours, the early hours. The half-off sale at our local video gaming store (Game Over).

Last year I bought like 30 Odessey 2 carts, and voice synth unit. That was awesome.

• Like 2

What sort of store is Bed, Bath & Beyond, anyways? I always picture Atari Flashbacks sitting on shelves full of fancy soaps, cosmetics, hair dryers, etc. Not exactly a combination that goes together.

I assume the beyond part is where the Atari Flashback and likely quite a few other products that they probably carry, fall into. :)

Never been in one myself, but I understand its like a big creampuffery store with lots of fragrances and linens and towels and perfume and general girly stuff.

Never been in one myself, but I understand its like a big creampuffery store with lots of fragrances and linens and towels and perfume and general girly stuff.

It's not a particularly gendered store. There's lots of manly hardware type things in there too. Why not check it out first instead of mouthing off out of ignorance next time?

As stated, it is pretty gender neutral in my opinion. It has an excellent selection of kitchen related items for example, watches, general home decor' like picture frames, decorative glass thingys, some counter top electronics. Stuff like that.

I don't leave the house on Black Friday... :D Nothing I want is worth the savings vs hoards. :)

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat
  • Like 1

I don't leave the house on Black Friday... :D Nothing I want is worth the savings vs hoards. :)

Sounds like a lot of you just don't have the right places.

It is exciting hitting the game stores. As said before I like to hit our game system that carries from Atari to X-Box (Game Over) and this huge place with some retro stuff, but has arcade games, and tons of DVD's (Entertainmart). At the first place it is fun to talk to other gamers and what they're picking up. Not one for the mobs but those places proved to be fun.

Same author.

So DINTAR816 and Dennis Debro are the same person?

Not sure why the ROM files aren't sorted alphabetically when I pull up the SD card browser on the unit

Because alphabetically sorting files is a lot more expensive, computationally speaking. A lot of devices do it this way, rather than having you wait longer each time you pull up a file menu.

So DINTAR816 and Dennis Debro are the same person?

Nope.

(There's a hack of Ms. Pac-Man into Pac-Man that's quite nice. )

There's 2008's Pac-Man 4K by Dennis Debro in the AtariAge Store. Older versions of this in a thread here. He released the source code so you can compile the final version sold in the Store.

There is 2015's Pac-Man 4K by DINTAR816 (there's only so much you can do in 4096 bytes, but he got the full game in there), and then he expanded that into 8K and made it even better. The 8K version is not finished, almost 100%. I've never heard that they are the same person before.

DINTAR816 came up with sounds I didn't think was possible on the 2600, building them one display frame at a time. :-o impressing everyone including the past 2600 Pac-Man master programmers Nukey, Debro and DeCrescenzo. :music:

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 2

Nope.

(There's a hack of Ms. Pac-Man into Pac-Man that's quite nice. )

There's 2008's Pac-Man 4K by Dennis Debro in the AtariAge Store. Older versions of this in a thread here. He released the source code so you can compile the final version sold in the Store.

There is 2015's Pac-Man 4K by DINTAR816 (there's only so much you can do in 4096 bytes, but he got the full game in there), and then he expanded that into 8K and made it even better. The 8K version is not finished, almost 100%. I've never heard that they are the same person before.

DINTAR816 came up with sounds I didn't think was possible on the 2600, building them one display frame at a time. :-o impressing everyone including the past 2600 Pac-Man master programmers Nukey, Debro and DeCrescenzo. :music:

The sound is so arcade-like on the New Pacman, you'd swear he had a Pokey chip stuffed in somewhere. He really makes the TIA sing... :music:

Would be great to be able to make ROM subfolders (Action, Sports, Arcade, etc)

It loads the files in the order they were placed on the card. You can work around this by reflashing the whole folder when adding something so it all goes in at once. The folder I made of renamed ROMs in the compatibility thread will load in alphabetical order.

Agreed about folders; I suppose you could give the titles headers or something but there's not a lot of space to work with.

• Like 1

Bill,

I have aspirations of modding my AFP (once I receive it) by adding a POT (Paddle Control).. or alternatively adding a joystick port. I'm curious based on your knowledge of the new board if that's even possible?

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by DrWoo
  • Like 1

Bill,

I have aspirations of modding my AFP (once I receive it) by adding a POT (Paddle Control).. or alternatively adding a joystick port. I'm curious based on your knowledge of the new board if that's even possible?

Regards,

Kevin

I would be curious. Here are some pics I took of mine pre-production model to see what would be possible. I want to add a joystick port too. :D

post-4709-0-99431700-1480017564_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-14443000-1480017580_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-23022300-1480017597_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-12534500-1480017630_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-75752600-1480017652_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-88752200-1480017687_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-13715800-1480017710_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-98787800-1480017743_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-63810300-1480017759_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-41896200-1480017780_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

another thing to ask, is there a way where the downloads for the SD card could include all the programmer approved and publicly released homebrew games?

I think there should be an "Ultra Public Domain" ROM collection where the games are free to download, distribute and reproduce. If it's not in the collection then you'd know it needs approval to use.

Yeah, this only applies to game makers who already intend to make their games that "free". And, yeah. It only applies to repro makers who are legitimate already.

• Like 2