IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

So they're delayed? (Wish I'd known this)

Maybe that's why I couldn't find one... :(

I checked Wal-Mart; They didn't' really know what I was talking about. I checked Gamestop; They seemed to be pretending to know what I was talking about, but just said "No" when I asked if they had them. Maybe they knew, it was very hard to tell. But before all of those I checked Target. They had Flashback 7s, and those Genesis jobbers, even the portable Genesis which (unlike my old blue one) Does have an SD slot, but no cart slot...But no Atari Flashback Portables and no employees within yelling distance...Oh and I checked Bed, Bath, and Beyond and was told "not yet"...

The Quest Continues...

Might want to put that quest on hold til Nov 29th at the earliest.

Yup!

One of those instances where I should have consulted the Wizards of AtariAge (i.e. read a few threads) before starting my quest.

On the plus side I needed to hit those other stores anyway in most instances...

• Like 1

Thanks for that -- they say it's in stock, then they say it will ship in 5 to 7 business days. Shipping is $5.

Then they say this, "Your order will be shipped based on the product availability. We welcome you to place back order of the Out of Stock items. Feel free to cancel your back order anytime as long as it hasn't been shipped out yet."

If I get it before stores, which seems unlikely, I'll post my impressions and some SD card test results. We will probably want to make a google spreadsheet for compatibility.

• Like 3

I just got an email from AtGames saying they shipped my order, including a USPS tracking number, so if you want one of these NOW, ordering direct seems like the way to go.

I guess the big stores are getting large drop shipments. Perhaps they're still on the slow boat from China.

I've got to find a little bitty SD card now. I'll bet I have a 512MB around someplace -- and that's at least 500MB more than I'll need for VCS ROMs.

• Like 2

Be careful about ordering from Atgames. I have placed orders from them before with a message telling me it shipped and it never really shipped. It wasn't until weeks later I found out it was on back order because I contacted them to ask the status. Their customer service is horrible due to the fact that they do not communicate well with their customers and it takes a miracle to get in touch with someone over there. I hope it works out better for you than it did for me!

• Like 1

I dealt with them back in March. Who knows, maybe things have changed...

They haven't shipped mine yet after all, they've only printed the label. So maybe nothing has changed.

"A shipping label has been prepared for your item at 1:50 am on November 10, 2016 in HAWTHORNE, CA 90251. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date."

• Like 1

They haven't shipped mine yet after all, they've only printed the label. So maybe nothing has changed.

"A shipping label has been prepared for your item at 1:50 am on November 10, 2016 in HAWTHORNE, CA 90251. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date."

I got the same email...The way that it's phrased I really thought it had shipped! But when I put in the tracking number, I got the exact same message you got. Still if they have the shipping labels, Well And if it is in stock...It shouldn't be long before they ship them.

OK, it's in LA now, expected delivery tomorrow. This will take some of the sting out of this week (I'm talking about Leonard Cohen, of course)

OK Now that I've read that and this time comprehended it (lacking sleep is a hell of a thing!) ... I'm pretty happy that hopefully they'll be shipping mine out pretty soon too!

Seeing the above (and how they are reported shipping from the site) I went ahead and ordered one of these for myself.

I think this could be the portable 2600 we've waited for all these years. And the SD slot is awesome! Wish the Intellivision and Colecovision units had a SD slot!

My suggestion for those that work for Atgames reading this is to make small SD carts dressed up to look like Atari cartridges that have game packs on them. A little extra revenue for little work and fairly cheap SD cards. ;)

That would probably be better left to the community -- AtGames will have already given us everything they are legally allowed to distribute (that don't need paddle controls or a second player) -- but it seems like it would be trivial for some of the good designers here to make a nice little label for an SD card for bringing your own ROMs.

• Like 1

That would probably be better left to the community -- AtGames will have already given us everything they are legally allowed to distribute (that don't need paddle controls or a second player) -- but it seems like it would be trivial for some of the good designers here to make a nice little label for an SD card for bringing your own ROMs.

All true. We've discussed the idea of content packs for these, particularly as we continue to add more capabilities in the future, but it always comes down to retailers. Asking them to dedicate space to add-ons for these things is not easy. They pretty much give the space for the stock units and that's it. That's why you also don't see the wired controllers anywhere either.

RE: paddle games, at least they will still work with the d-pad automatically.

Just in case anyone missed it earlier, please keep in mind that the SD card slot enables compatibility with maybe 60% of the Atari 2600 library (my estimate; I'm sure we'll get better numbers if there's ever a concerted effort to test every possible game). The emulator was unfortunately not tuned for anything but the built-in games, so whether or not it will work with something is hit or miss.

• Like 2