IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Ripping it would be pointless, wouldn't it? Because it's not VCS game code. Right? It is native to the SoC used in the console?

In theory, it might work assuming the BIN is accessible somehow, but I haven't tried it (and can't, and won't ask) and obviously I don't condone piracy of an active commercial product. But yes, it's specific to the hardware and would not work on a regular Atari 2600, obviously, just like the "bonus" games on the Sega stuff won't work on a real Genesis.

What's even more amazing is that the atgames website seems to follow a different graphic design language and layout. It's getting further away from that same old harsh millennial metro garbagey look everyone seems hellbent on copying for the past 5 years.

It obviously went through a recent redesign (http://atgames.us/main.sc). There's more to come.

Edited by BillLoguidice
  • Like 1

Correct, no new Space Invaders port (same as on Atari Flashback 6/7) on the final retail hardware (again, here's the list for that version: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2016/11/13/atari-flashback-portable-2016-official-game-list/). You can run the original Atari 2600 Space Invaders via the SD card on either version.

So is the Space Invaders included on the Flashback 7 the new version or the VCS version? I'm probably just going to pick up the FB7 at retail. Thanks again for your support.

What I find amazing is the sudden love for the new port after years of complaints that the original Atari 2600 version of the game wasn't instead available.

It is ironic. Some are more in favor of the 2600 version (I'm in that camp) and those that like the more arcade accurate version (I like it enough). What I think would be fun at some point is to make bin images designed more for the hardware than the 2600. And I hope it turns out the SD card reader can load the hardware designed images.

Time will tell on that one.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2

Well, it looks like we'll get some of these portables for giveaways at our winter bash. Assuming they're available when we go to order them. And perhaps the nes-mini. They're priced right and go back to the earliest games, in portable format - which reminds me..

When I was a kid, I remember getting the VCS and a b/w television. A 9" or 12" portable from JC Penny's. the one where the lead-acid batteries' tray screwed into the bottom. I could barely lift the damned thing. And it way cool to put this TV set in the back of the old Chevy and bring my VCS along on road trips. The TV worked for 4 hours on a full charge, and I just wired up a couple of 9V batteries for the VCS.

Later I used simple cigarette lighter adapters for power. One directly to the TV. And one going through a resistor to the VCS. This one always got real hot and we had to be careful where we put it. One time it burned a small hole in the vinyl upholstery. But that wasn't as bad as when I taped the timer in the on position for my Cox/Sanwa RC car. It was supposed to charge for 20 minutes. But I wanted a little extra charge in it. I planned to come back in 30 minutes. Well I came back an hour later to a car full of this white choking smoke and the battery having melted itself through the seat.

Well, being a shit-faced little kid, it took me like an hour to drag all this stuff out and get it set up in the back seat. Joysticks, wires, adapters, switch box, TV, VCS, paddles, 50 cartridges, instructions. Screwdriver and tape to help get it all set up. Practically my whole videogame collection at the time.

But it worked! By golly jesus. IT WORKED! I had real mobile gaming. 70's style.

• Like 5

What I find amazing is the sudden love for the new port after years of complaints that the original Atari 2600 version of the game wasn't instead available.

I was just thinking the same thing Bill :P its like that Cinderella Song - "dont know whatcha got till its gone" :P

Edited by thevnaguy

I was just thinking the same thing Bill :P its like that Guns N Roses Song - "dont know whatcha got till its gone" :P

oooorrrrrrrrrrrr... the Cinderella song.

:)

(edit: Does anyone know if those eBay portables are the early editions? Space Invaders and Jungle Hunt are not listed on the game lists, and I don't know what "TBC" means on a game list.)

Edited by slab0meat

oooorrrrrrrrrrrr... the Cinderella song.

:)

(edit: Does anyone know if those eBay portables are the early editions? Space Invaders and Jungle Hunt are not listed on the game lists, and I don't know what "TBC" means on a game list.)

whoops, thanks for correct me :P had GNR on the brain :P

TBC = To Be Confirmed

Edited by thevnaguy

They're almost certainly the early versions. If you want to be 100% sure, ask them if Space Invaders is shown on the box. If it is, it's an early version with a different game list.

• Like 1

They're almost certainly the early versions. If you want to be 100% sure, ask them if Space Invaders is shown on the box. If it is, it's an early version with a different game list.

Thanks. I don't know if I just missed it originally, but when I just went back and looked, the first store shows the portable with Centipede on its screen, and then saw another store with the portable showing Space Invaders.

I don't expect anyone to know the answers to these questions, they're just food for thought:

1. Will the pre-release variants be worth a little more than the general release models? (is there a collector's market for this stuff?)

2. How much trouble (if any) would AtGames be in for distributing Taito games with a lapsed license to do so? (or maybe Taito just takes a cut of sales?)

It seems to me that getting this through eBay sellers is the right way to go for now.

• Like 1

Just ordered an Atari Flashback Portable from eBay with free shipping for ~$50. :D

Maybe I can use the Toys R Us gift card I have for the NES Classic later.

I did just get a response from Toys R Us as to the reason for the cancellation...

****begin paste****

Hello there,
Thank you for contacting Us about your recent order, order. We regret to inform you that your order was cancelled, because we are entirely out of stock, and at this time it appears this item is discontinued.
Again, we’re sorry your order didn’t work out — and appreciate your understanding!
Thanks for getting in touch with Us. We look forward to serving you again soon!
Norma/4159, Toys“R”Us & Babies“R”Us Customer Service
www.ToysRUs.com (800) ToysRUs / (800) 869-7787
www.BabiesRUs.com (888) BabiesRUs / (888) 222-9787
-----

****end paste****

Kind of uninformed, canned/generic response.

I hope this is the early version... if so, I will get both as this type of variation is interesting to me. :D

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat
  • Like 3

Mine arrived a short while ago and appears to have the arcade Space Invaders and the 2600 Jungle Hunt built in.

I downloaded the game.zip (huge thanks Flojomojo!) and randomly launched quite a few titles. So far I'm quite impressed with the compatibility and overall screen and build quality. :)

• Like 3

Just ordered an Atari Flashback Portable from eBay with free shipping for ~$50. :D

<clip>

MrBlackCat

I also ordered one from ebay.

I got a similar reply:

Hello there,

Thank you for getting in touch with Us about your recent order, order# .... We’re sorry to report that we weren’t able to fulfill your request. Here at Toys“R”Us and Babies“R”Us, we want every guest to have a pleasant experience, and we’re disappointed whenever we fall short. Please forgive Us!

At this time, the Atari Flashback Portable Handheld Player is currently out of stock. We do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and will resolve this matter as soon as possible to right our wrong.

We’re happy to let you know that your account will be refunded within 10 business days. Please, rest assured that we take your financial concerns very seriously. Therefore, if the funds are not available after 10 business days we suggest that you contact your financial institution (which has ultimate responsibility for the hold) directly for their expert assistance. If the authorization hold remains in place, we can work in conjunction with them toward a speedy resolution.

If you prefer to call in , contact us at one of the phone numbers below and be sure to provide this reference number - ... .

Again, we’re sorry that this happened with your order and hope you don't hold it against us! We look forward to a speedy resolution.

Thanks for getting in touch with Us. We look forward to serving you again soon!

***end paste***

Of course it is out of stock!

That's what a pre-order is!

Ordering something before it is in stock!

I also ordered one from ebay.

I got a similar reply:

<snip>

Of course it is out of stock!

That's what a pre-order is!

Ordering something before it is in stock!

I wonder if this was a glitch maybe? Maybe someone flagged it wrong and it just cancelled all the pre-orders? I was hoping they would actually look into what happened, but most customer service is just a "smooth things over" service, and not a "valid information" service in my experience. I would not be surprised if their customer support is third party, but I don't know that.

MrBlackCat

In theory, it might work assuming the BIN is accessible somehow, but I haven't tried it (and can't, and won't ask) and obviously I don't condone piracy of an active commercial product. But yes, it's specific to the hardware and would not work on a regular Atari 2600, obviously, just like the "bonus" games on the Sega stuff won't work on a real Genesis.

I heard a few of those games were dumped and work on emulators. They all suck tho, which is probably why you don't see dumps everywhere. No interest in them. I know working in a emulator don't mean it'll work on a real console, but I thought I'd throw that out there anyway.