IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

I just ordered a Portable System video cable from AtGames for the absurdly high price of $7.99 +$4.00 shipping. When I receive it, I will spec it out and find far less expensive alternative. I have many different 1/8th to RCA video cables for everything from other handheld systems to camcorders and portable computers, and none of them were this expensive, and none of them work with the AtGames Products.

edit: It let me order the cable, but on the actual product page, which you don't have to go to add it to your cart, it says they are BackOrdered. If I was making that much money on a 99 cent cable, I would NEVER let them run out! AtGames seems quite disorganized to me.

edit: Has anyone got one of these they could provide pinouts on so I can try to find a compatible cable? I would appreciate it.

Also, rather than taking repeated chances with flaky sellers on eBay, I would like to have a pre-production unit if anyone wishes to sell one. New or Like New preferred. :) Please PM me. :)

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

I just ordered a Portable System video cable from AtGames for the absurdly high price of $7.99 +$4.00 shipping. When I receive it, I will spec it out and find far less expensive alternative. I have many different 1/8th to RCA video cables for everything from other handheld systems to camcorders and portable computers, and none of them were this expensive, and none of them work with the AtGames Products.

edit: It let me order the cable, but on the actual product page, which you don't have to go to add it to your cart, it says they are BackOrdered. If I was making that much money on a 99 cent cable, I would NEVER let them run out! AtGames seems quite disorganized to me.

edit: Has anyone got one of these they could provide pinouts on so I can try to find a compatible cable? I would appreciate it.

Also, rather than taking repeated chances with flaky sellers on eBay, I would like to have a pre-production unit if anyone wishes to sell one. New or Like New preferred. :) Please PM me. :)

MrBlackCat

Speaking of the AtGames online store or shop, these 2 items must be for their bonus release that Bill has dropped hints at, an Arcade Ultimate Portable?!

http://atgames.us/Arcade-Ultimate-Portable-Lithium-Battery-GP2628BT.htm

http://atgames.us/Arcade-Ultimate-Portable-USB-charging-cable-GP2628USB.htm

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

Speaking of the AtGames online store or shop, these 2 items must be for their bonus release that Bill has dropped hints at, an Arcade Ultimate Portable?!

Would be nice, but it's not. Not related.

Bill,

I have aspirations of modding my AFP (once I receive it) by adding a POT (Paddle Control).. or alternatively adding a joystick port. I'm curious based on your knowledge of the new board if that's even possible?

Regards,

Kevin

Sorry, I don't know the technical details. If it helps, it's just a newer version of what's in the Flashback 7 (and Flashback 6), so presumably it would know what to do with something like that if you added it. I just don't know, though.

"Arcade Ultimate Portable" = Sega Genesis Portable, which has existed for many years

I would guess they use this "arcade" name because it's called the MegaDrive everywhere except for the United States.

It loads the files in the order they were placed on the card. You can work around this by reflashing the whole folder when adding something so it all goes in at once. The folder I made of renamed ROMs in the compatibility thread will load in alphabetical order.

Agreed about folders; I suppose you could give the titles headers or something but there's not a lot of space to work with.

So no sub-folders? That's a complete downer. I guess you can't just throw a complete No-Intro ROM set sorted into folders by alphabet (the way I do ALL of my flashcarts, with separate folder for homebrew of course) and expect things to work. :dunce:

I want to add a joystick port too.

That should be pretty simple, provided you can figure out how to fit a port in there. Getting 2-player or paddle support would require a bit of multimeter poking, if it's possible at all.

Or some brave soul could load up a joystick testing cart and connect different traces to ground until they find something B)

Got one at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Redlands, California, as they now have them in stock, 8 left after I bought an Atari Flashback Ultimate Portable for $39.99 plus with their 20% off until Noon coupon, so $34.55, that includes tax, today, Black Friday, November 25th, 2016!

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 2

Got one at Bed, Bath & Beyond, Redlands, California, as they now have them in stock, 8 left after I bought an Atari Flashback Ultimate Portable for $39.99 plus with their 20% off until Noon coupon, so $34.55, that includes tax, today, Black Friday, November 25th, 2016!

Nice TrekkiELO !

You scored like LeBron James!

• Like 1

Does yours have Space Invaders?
  • Like 1

While I don't know the details of why Arcadia games won't work...I remember back in the day, they ran ads saying the Supercharger was 48 times more powerful than a standard Atari...

Hope I don't have to wait for the Flashback Portable 48, before I can play Communist Mutants from Space.

• Like 2

All this talk of the Supercharger has got me curious: of the games that Nukey Shaw and others made to run on unmodified Superchargers, I wonder if there are games modified for that that would run on the AFP where the regular roms might not?

Hey, I've been able to hunt down some alternatives that run on the AFP when the regular roms have failed (the alternate hacks of Berzerk, the joystick mods of Omega Race, Big Birds Egg Catch, Cookie Monster Monster Munch, and Holey Moley). Maybe the hacked for Supercharger games might offer more solutions?

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2

While I don't know the details of why Arcadia games won't work...I remember back in the day, they ran ads saying the Supercharger was 48 times more powerful than a standard Atari...

Do ze'math..

Supercharger = 6K ram (6144 bytes)

VCS console = 128 bytes ram

6144/128=48 ..that's where they get 48x more powerful. Sounds great to a kid and the uninitiated and non-techie buyers of the day. But it's really just a memory increase. No processing power increase.

And the game MUST fit in that ram. So now you have less ram to read/write to anyways.

• Like 2

I would be curious. Here are some pics I took of mine pre-production model to see what would be possible. I want to add a joystick port too. :D

Is the battery the same as the Sega Genesis Ultimate Portable Game Player battery? Could we buy replacement batteries for the Atari Flashback from AtGames by getting the Ultimate Portable Lithium batteries?