IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

Bed bath and beyond had about 12 in stock this morning in my area...I have just started to play with it...pre loaded games seem buggy though...quite a few have caused the unit to reboot...no chance to load roms until this evening

That's obviously not normal behavior (hopefully it was fully charged when you tried it). You should run the system test referenced earlier, or, barring that, play some more games. If you get the same results, you should exchange it.

• Like 1

Bed bath and beyond had about 12 in stock this morning in my area...I have just started to play with it...pre loaded games seem buggy though...quite a few have caused the unit to reboot...no chance to load roms until this evening

Which ones? I haven't had that issue so far...

• Like 1

Can anyone point me at a web review that is not YouTube?

Hopefully others can chime in, but I'll have mine posted on Armchair Arcade in a day or two (keeping in mind my association with the product and company, but I still post as honestly as possible, of course). I just haven't had a chance to record the embedded game videos yet. Everything else is written and done.

• Like 1

I can't get sd menu to load. I have 8gb sdhc card (sandisk). Folder named Game and .bin file with first letter capitalized. I don't know what the problem is. I have tried multiple roms.

Make sure you do not have spaces or characters like "@$!#&?" In your filenames. If you meet that criteria, I would erase your card and reformat it. Then load a couple games at a time on it to test it out. I am using a 2GB SanDisk card and have had no issues.

• Like 1

Make sure you do not have spaces or characters like "@$!#&?" In your filenames. If you meet that criteria, I would erase your card and reformat it. Then load a couple games at a time on it to test it out. I am using a 2GB SanDisk card and have had no issues.

No spaces or characters. I have reformatted it. I don't know what the problem is. It is frustrating, maybe at some point somebody will put up a youtube video with step by step instructions. I don't know what could be wrong. I am trying the roms from atariage.

I can't get sd menu to load. I have 8gb sdhc card (sandisk). Folder named Game and .bin file with first letter capitalized. I don't know what the problem is. I have tried multiple roms.

Try the folder at the start of the Compatibility List topic, it's known to work. Just a single bad character will stop the directory from loading.

• Like 1

No spaces or characters. I have reformatted it. I don't know what the problem is. It is frustrating, maybe at some point somebody will put up a youtube video with step by step instructions. I don't know what could be wrong. I am trying the roms from atariage.

Did anyone confirm an 8GB card works? Are you able to try a smaller capacity card 4GB or 2GB?

Here's my review:

Fifty bucks for the first official Atari 2600 portable ever, 60 included ROMs, many others supported via SD card, lots of AtariAge community interest. Buy it while you can, because these AtGames things get scarce around mid-year.

So... How does it actually play?
  • Like 1

Try the folder at the start of the Compatibility List topic, it's known to work. Just a single bad character will stop the directory from loading.

I used this on both my 8gb and also a 1gb now. It won't load. I get to the SD Card Browser and hit A. It says loading and then kicks me back to the sd card browser.

So... How does it actually play?

This is where the dreaded YouTube videos actually work better than words. I think it plays great! The D-pad and buttons are responsive, the screen is bright and clear, and the sound is recognizably Atari-esque. Everything runs at full speed with all sounds intact. Paddle games are understandably hard to control with digital controls, and collision detection is off for some games running from SD card (see compatibility list for community feedback). If you liked the TV-based Atari Flashback units, this is all that and more, in your pocket.

32MB - 8GB should generally work fine regardless of brand. It's the contents and naming conventions that are most important.

Card format can be a factor, too. The SD card association's official formatter seems to do a better job with formatting cards than Windows or Mac OS in my experience. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

• Like 3

I extracted it. How do I place game folder in the root of the card?

Drag the extracted (unzipped) Game folder over to the SD card. Don't put it in any subfolders, and don't add any folders or extra files to it. Make sure it's named "Game" (no quotes).

If that's not working, you might want to try reformatting your SD card with the utility linked a few posts up. I had an old SD card that was in a exFAT format from a Linux machine that needed this tool to make it usable again.

Unfortunately it appears that the Atari Flashback Portable can not play Homebrew games written in Batari Basic using DPC.. :(

I just ran through a bunch of tests.. Bummer!

One example of many.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233975-the-gizzle-wap-and-the-strange-red-tree-final-version/

Regards,

Dr.Woo

DPC+ is a complicated and AtariAge only thing. Reports so far are hit and miss with batari BASIC made games in general. Which, I guess is better than the Flashback 2.

John Hancock reported C@tacombs of Chaos worked but Game Panic had graphical aberrations.

• Like 1