IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable!

FWIW,

I just looked carefully at the games list on my pre-production versus production model.

Pre-production has:

Frontline

Jungle Hunt

Polaris

Space Invaders (Arcade)

Does Not have:

Desert Falcon

Dodge'em

Slot Machine

Super Breakout

I just thought this was interesting... :)

• Like 1

After playing with the device for a number of hours this weekend, there is a lot to like. The button layout is the best one I've ever seen to emulate the 2600's many switches. This could be just an accident since it happens to match up with the 6 buttons required to emulate a Genesis controller, but I'm not complaining. I predict that someone will develop at least some AFBP hacks to accomodate the nice button layout. The built in game selection is good with few surprises compared to previous Flashbacks, but the compatibility with games on the SD card is actually better than I expected. The overall size of the device is small but not too small, and the screen is bright and clear. The audio sounds very good to me for an emulation device, and it maintains a consistent volume for all games I tried.

As Bill mentions in his review, it is too bad that the paddle emulation isn't present, but that isn't a surprise. Maybe they can fit an analog knob on there in future revisions? I do think that somehow they got the analog controls locked in for Astroblast. The original game fully supports digital controls, so that is a mystery. Oh well.

My device does seem to have one major flaw which is that when pressing UP, I get a diagonal or straight LEFT press about 10-20% of the time. It is hard to predict when this will happen, but it is a frustrating outcome that costs me a lot of cheap deaths in different games like HERO, River Raid, Seaquest, Frostbite, Miss It and others. For games that use UP less frequently, the device performs very well. I guess it really is hard to build a perfect controller. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has this problem with the D-Pad AND if someone who has taken it apart thinks it can be fixed. I guess I could exchange it . . .

One thing that would have been nice would have been the option to simply use AAA or AA batteries. Someday the rechargeable battery on this thing will give out and it'd be nice to have the option to use an over the counter solution for power.

• Like 1

This finally showed up in Canada for a reasonable price. 49.99 at Bed Bath Beyond. Online only

No local stores can say if they are getting them. Visions had them for 79.99 but that was stupid.

Thanks for posting that: I was thinking of ordering from visions.ca, but they wanted $69.99 plus tax. Worked out to be $78 CND with tax.

I just submitted an order to BB&B.ca and the total was $55 CND. I'm travelling to visit my folks up in the mountains for Christmas, and they have zero Internet there - not even cellphone coverage. If this arrives in-time for my trip, at least I will be able to feed my screentime addiction...

• Like 2

They're $39.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond right now - and that's before using a 20% off coupon. I'll go and get mine tomorrow.

See anything wrong with the screenshot in this advertisement from AtGames' site?? http://res.cloudinary.com/dekmsqlfb/image/upload/v1478039466/two_ntjlmc.pdf

Clearly, they're playing Jungle Hunt loaded from the SD card. No problem there!
  • Like 1

FWIW,

I just looked carefully at the games list on my pre-production versus production model.

Pre-production has:

Frontline

Jungle Hunt

Polaris

Space Invaders (Arcade)

Does Not have:

Desert Falcon

Dodge'em

Slot Machine

Super Breakout

I just thought this was interesting... :)

I thought Desert Falcon was a 7800 game? :P

After playing with the device for a number of hours this weekend, there is a lot to like. The button layout is the best one I've ever seen to emulate the 2600's many switches. This could be just an accident since it happens to match up with the 6 buttons required to emulate a Genesis controller, but I'm not complaining. I predict that someone will develop at least some AFBP hacks to accomodate the nice button layout. The built in game selection is good with few surprises compared to previous Flashbacks, but the compatibility with games on the SD card is actually better than I expected. The overall size of the device is small but not too small, and the screen is bright and clear. The audio sounds very good to me for an emulation device, and it maintains a consistent volume for all games I tried.

As Bill mentions in his review, it is too bad that the paddle emulation isn't present, but that isn't a surprise. Maybe they can fit an analog knob on there in future revisions? I do think that somehow they got the analog controls locked in for Astroblast. The original game fully supports digital controls, so that is a mystery. Oh well.

My device does seem to have one major flaw which is that when pressing UP, I get a diagonal or straight LEFT press about 10-20% of the time. It is hard to predict when this will happen, but it is a frustrating outcome that costs me a lot of cheap deaths in different games like HERO, River Raid, Seaquest, Frostbite, Miss It and others. For games that use UP less frequently, the device performs very well. I guess it really is hard to build a perfect controller. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has this problem with the D-Pad AND if someone who has taken it apart thinks it can be fixed. I guess I could exchange it . . .

One thing that would have been nice would have been the option to simply use AAA or AA batteries. Someday the rechargeable battery on this thing will give out and it'd be nice to have the option to use an over the counter solution for power.

I have not noticed this issue with mine, and I have used the up direction often.

• Like 1

It would be too costly to manufacture the unit so it operates with AA or AAA size cells.

Edited by Keatah

So far I've been enjoying my Atari FBP. Well worth the $32 plus with the SD card I can play almost everything.

I wish the fire button was more sensitive, I have to push down squarely on it. It it the same with everyone's FBP?

Is it a conductive rubber button shorting two PCB pads?

Bill, is there a protective plastic on the grey area by the buttons? Boy was that screen protector on well but finally got it off!

Thanks everyone for the compatibility list and renamed rom posting!

If I can play Titan Axe on it, I'll buy it. Will it support DPC+ games?

It boots the beta, and seems to work!

That game is bananas ... Golden Axe on the VCS!!!

I think I'm a little more into the idea of this than the reality, but nevertheless -- you are amazeballs!

Titan Axe is 32k and is not DPC+. It's a standard 32k cart. It's pretty dope though! I heard the programmer is an insane genius

(in bed)!

Of this, there cannot be any doubt.

This is the version I tested. Bananas, I say!

A little OT, but it sounds like there's a lot of familiarity with the Genesis portable here. Anyone know a good source for that now? BB&B only carries the Atari portable and the Genesis TV console, and now I'm looking for a Genesis portable to go alongside it for Xmas. Online it looks like it's tough to get one for less than $50 (which isn't bad, I guess, but now I've been spoiled with 500+ Atari games in my hand for around $35!

A little OT, but it sounds like there's a lot of familiarity with the Genesis portable here. Anyone know a good source for that now? BB&B only carries the Atari portable and the Genesis TV console, and now I'm looking for a Genesis portable to go alongside it for Xmas. Online it looks like it's tough to get one for less than $50 (which isn't bad, I guess, but now I've been spoiled with 500+ Atari games in my hand for around $35!

You *might* be able to find one at a physical Dollar General store but they seem to be sold out of it online. Otherwise $50ish on Amazon seems about your only option.

It gets some bad word of mouth from the hardcore Sega crowd but I have a two or three year old model and I like it just fine. The sound emulation isn't perfect but it'll play something like 90% of the Genesis titles. I feel that I've really gotten my money's worth out of the thing.

• Like 1

So far I've been enjoying my Atari FBP. Well worth the $32 plus with the SD card I can play almost everything.

I wish the fire button was more sensitive, I have to push down squarely on it. It it the same with everyone's FBP?

Is it a conductive rubber button shorting two PCB pads?

Bill, is there a protective plastic on the grey area by the buttons? Boy was that screen protector on well but finally got it off!

Thanks everyone for the compatibility list and renamed rom posting!

My fire button is very responsive. I do have the problem I mentioned with pushing up registering as diagonal Up/Left. It does appear to just be a contact pad that the button connects. There are some pictures here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/259624-atari-flashback-portable-tear-down/

I'll probably open mine to see what could be causing it. Could be some of the rubber lining in the way for you and perhaps something causing an extra short for me.

Bill says they might fix a lot of the issues it has next year, so I'm waiting B)

Yes, all existing issues with all the products and then some will be put to bed in 2017. Of course, I can't promise that there won't be new issues that crop up, but at least they'll be different issues, so the issues should be far less boring next year. ;-)

• Like 4