IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

It doesn't fix the problem on my system. With the memory expansion installed, I get a split second of screechy sound with the sound sample, then the system freezes. The red LED for extended memory doesn't light up.

It still works without the extra memory installed.

Where I can find description of this expansion?

I have one of these:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/178885-ram-320xe/page-1?hl=%20ram%20%20576xe

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232856-ram320xe576-order-thread/page-1?hl=+ram%20+576xe

I've been playing with its configuration switches, and when I choose the "remap" option (substitute its memory in place of motherboard memory) the system won't even boot. So finger points to something broken with this memory expansion.

I have just tested the latest version on a 130xe with a 320xe ram expansion (NTSC). It works just as well as it does with the Ultimate 1mb. I'll change around a few settings and see if I can find any compatibility issues, but so far, this runs REALLY clean for a PAL game on an NTSC machine.

Hmm, it's possible. What are your exact dip switch settings? I am running with remap on I think. Give me your exact setup and I'll mimic it on my end and see what happens.

I have the max ram enabled on the ram expansion, and am booting the game off an SIO2SD drive configured as D1:

I have also booted it in several memory configurations on the XL with an Ultimate 1mb/SIDE2 combo via the built in boot loader

I've been playing the heck out of this - it's a lot of fun.

Will you make it so you can shoot the enemy missiles launched from the bases? Also, one subtle suggestion - really really minor - the arcade game has a sound playing the entire time (presumably it's the ship moving around) - it really makes the game more tense. Again, minor suggestion because this is really a lot of fun (and pretty hard too!).

GREAT JOB!

This is a really good port, better than all others I must say!

Looking at the arcade game on You Tube, the ship can destroy the cluster in one shot, is that how it's supposed to be vs destroying each pod first?

Edit, it looks like you can make a shot in the center when it opens up to destroy it.

Edited by tjlazer

This is a really good port, better than all others I must say!

Looking at the arcade game on You Tube, the ship can destroy the cluster in one shot, is that how it's supposed to be vs destroying each pod first?

Edit, it looks like you can make a shot in the center when it opens up to destroy it.

Yep, after the first wave, the port opens / closes. By the 3rd wave, it starts shooting out a missile - you should be able to shoot that, I have been unsuccessful in this version.

The voice just puts it over the top - no stop in screen action other than the radar but that's minor. Realizing that it was a prototype, I was disappointed the A8 Sinistar didn't use more speech synthesis (I think there's one line, that's it)...it seems like a minor thinig, but for both games, it's a big part.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work! Very nice soft sprite system. Looks like you dynamically allocate characters for sprites. I was able to use the following commands in the Altirra debugger when running bosco128.xex to get a visual idea of how you are allocating characters:

e 80a5 e0
e 7f35 e0
f 21b9 L1b 32
e 21b6 72
e 21d4 12

bosc-gr0-medium.mp4

Out of curiosity, what development tools are you using?