IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

• 2 weeks later...

@tep392: Answer is no.

@a8isa1: I use official Altira 2.81, but I download and run Bosconian on 2.91-test15, I have no problem, maybe you have wrong config. In which moment game freeze, after run before speech "Blast off" ?

@Gunstar,@a8isa1 how you load game?

Sorry for the late reply. I have been trying to load it via APE and SIO2PC to my Rambo 256K PAL 1200XL. I have the 32-in-1 OS and tried so far with Warp+ OS, and PAL XL rev. C OS. Maybe it's a PAL issue? I will test further with a few more OS's and see if it works with any of them. All earlier versions of Bosconian work fine with my PAL 1200XL and Warp+ OS, which has a very high compatibility with all Atari's official OS's. The main difference is just automatic 3xSIO speed.

shanti77, sorry if you mentioned this before, but what settings are you using on Altirra (or other emulator) for developing Bosconian? Memory? OS? etc.?

Edited by Gunstar

Well, I'm still not sure why this version freezes with Warp+ or PAL XL rev. C, but I just tested it with NTSC rev. C and it works fine. Maybe it was some gremlin in my system that is gone now, I will try the other OS's again.

A few minutes later...I just tried it with Warp+ OS and it works fine. I did re-download the .XEX from here, maybe the first time it got corrupted, or like I said; some gremlin was in there and he's gone now. ;)

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

It can be fixed anytime. Just I need the notes to correct this "mess".

One of my favorite methods is to grab the audio out of MAME and analyze it. Then you can get exact pitch, waveform, and duration of sounds. Studying the waveform gives you hints as to which Pokey sounds might be the best match.

• Like 2

One of my favorite methods is to grab the audio out of MAME and analyze it. Then you can get exact pitch, waveform, and duration of sounds. Studying the waveform gives you hints as to which Pokey sounds might be the best match.

I was doing some reading on Bosconian's sound, and it should be possible to get very close with POKEY. It has what's called a three-channel WSG (waveform sound generator), the same sound hardware Pac-Man used. Here's a technical description: http://www.lomont.org/Software/Games/PacMan/PacmanEmulation.pdf

Edited by ZylonBane
  • Like 3

POKEY should have no problem reproducing the start theme. Heck, even the MSX version gets it right.

That's a weird row of sentences ;)

POKEY "1970's" technology more 1977...

Bosconian 1981

MSX 1980's Soundchip, well, one of the channels is comparable with the tech of the full POKEY sound part. Any coder, using that chip would never encounter volume or cancelling sound issues, and the waves stand stable in any case and frequency.

Ofcourse, it's possible to create something fitting. But it is weird to say: Look , there is an apple on the Tree. One could easily grab it, even a giant can do this.

AY3-8910 Sound...

I can't believe I'm actually responding to Emkay drivel, but here goes...

Do I hear a fish bubbling?

What does your post offer against my explanation? Nothing, nada, niente, mai mi , nix... null ;)

The Soundchip is not fully used in it's capabilities during the gameplay. But, if your'e doing some special routines, giving more CPU to the chip when other stuff can wait, it sounds like the arcade machine.

Does the penny drop ? I don't think so.

Also, people today don't know the difference between standard programming and what the needed resources were, to get POKEY sounding correctly. This slide melodic part will never sound that correct on the Atari using just "programming" .

I think Zylon Bane is saying that the early members of the AY sound chip family (and variants such as the YM2149) as used in many home micros and consoles that favoured off the shelf components like the INTV/ST/MSX/ZX Spectrum etc is not a very powerful sound ship.

And less flexible than Pokey in many ways - so perhaps getting great Bosconian audio should be possible given the AY powered MSX version is quite good albeit the usual tinny AY...

As someone who has had to support AY/YM chips in various games, I gotta say I think in the right hands they can do pretty good audio, but it's always "thin" - on the GRADIUS arcade machine dual chips sound kinda neat as do Konami SCC enhanced carts - but they are not anything like AY...

sTeVE

P.S. The AY chip was designed in 1978 - so Pokey is pretty much a contemporary...

• Like 1

P.S. The AY chip was designed in 1978 - so Pokey is pretty much a contemporary...

Wikipedia says "early 80s" ... or let's say "Wiki says both"....

One says "Used by the manufacturer in 1978" , the other says "in development in the early 80s"...

But that's all not about the point.

Edited by emkay

Indeed - the chip was sold from 1978 (it's in their catalog of that year) - hence it's inclusion in the Intellivision etc - and is still in various forms in production - quite a feat...

But that it is less powerful than Pokey does mean we have "expectations" :-)

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack