IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

And now hopefully Emkay understands why I specifically said an MSX, not a Konami Nemesis board.

Just kidding, he'll never get it.

"POKEY should have no problem reproducing the start theme. Heck, even the MSX version gets it right."

It's just those lazy statement from above, that make people guessing wrong possibilities to the A8. You'd need 2 POKEYs to get the musical feature of the MSX, driving 30% of the 6502 CPU, where the MSX almost needs no CPU ...

OK, you could do PWM , using almost all CPU with one POKEY.... Musicwise every of those old chips is better than POKEY. But people still like to mix things up.

"POKEY should have no problem reproducing the start theme. Heck, even the MSX version gets it right."

It's just those lazy statement from above, that make people guessing wrong possibilities to the A8. You'd need 2 POKEYs to get the musical feature of the MSX, driving 30% of the 6502 CPU, where the MSX almost needs no CPU ...

OK, you could do PWM , using almost all CPU with one POKEY.... Musicwise every of those old chips is better than POKEY. But people still like to mix things up.

I'm confused - the MSX has one 3 voice AY chip - a very limited chip in my experience of having to actually use them in games.

How does the A8 need 2 pokeys to come near that?

Getting a solid rendition of the game audio on Pokey is totally practical IMHO; either as a conversion from the WSG original or based on the MSX conversion...

sTeVE

P.S. The conversion is looking absolutely fantastic by the way, a really great piece of work!!

Edited by Jetboot Jack

I'm confused - the MSX has one 3 voice AY chip - a very limited chip in my experience of having to actually use them in games.

How does the A8 need 2 pokeys to come near that?

Another example...

Put aside "how it sounds" .... if you don't hear that swimming through the notes in the Atari Version, we may not discuss things further...

Emkay,

I am still utterly confused - you seem rather bent on making this thread about the impossibility of this being a good version of the game with good sound.

From what I have seen Bosconian is shaping up to be an exemplary game for the little Atari and from what I know of the audio abilities of the system I expect there to be equally great sound - the samples are already awesome!!

This is an Atari forum celebrating our collective enthusiasm for this old computer - lighten up, this is gonna be great!

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 3

Yeah, seriously - the nerd-fight/pissing match about what POKEY can or cannot do is not only a thread-jacking gone bad, it's detracting from the excellent work done by the authors of this port. Give it a rest, guys, and let the people behind the game do their work.

• Like 4

Emkay,

I am still utterly confused - you seem rather bent on making this thread about the impossibility of this being a good version of the game with good sound.

I know, people here tend to understand things wrong. But it's more the problem when people do footless evidences. It's hard enough to have people doing false expectation. No need to put oil to the fire.

The game is very great, no question.

Yeah, seriously - the nerd-fight/pissing match about what POKEY can or cannot do is not only a thread-jacking gone bad, it's detracting from the excellent work done by the authors of this port. Give it a rest, guys, and let the people behind the game do their work.

Actually, I hope, a good way for the sound will be found. But other great looking projects have been screwed up by the used sounds. IMHO too much already.

Edited by emkay

2 things:

1- This Bonsconian project is looking and sounding pretty nice. I like it. I had no idea it was in development till recently. Can someone tell me what the minimum spec machine this is being targeted to?

2- Going back to October 2016..

That's why it's called "Never Twice the Same Color". Star Raiders, according to the manual, will turn the screen bluish when shields are activated, while I know from first-hand experience and from Youtube that it turns dark green:

The intended colors of Star Raiders for the shields are blue, not green. And the Red Alert upon exiting hyperspace should be red, not violet/purple. Anything else is incorrect emulation or improper TV/computer color adjustment. I remember that from when I was a kid. And Doug himself said so in an interview.

post-4806-0-65069200-1490740817_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-18714300-1490740818_thumb.pngpost-4806-0-09665600-1490740817_thumb.png

• Like 1

The intended colors of Star Raiders for the shields are blue, not green. And the Red Alert upon exiting hyperspace should be red, not violet/purple. Anything else is incorrect emulation or improper TV/computer color adjustment. I remember that from when I was a kid. And Doug himself said so in an interview.

Tell that the Atari engineers of the past, creating the PAL machines. You cannot change the color there. On PAL machines it is unchangeable "green and violett" .... since PAL machines don't have a "red" color.

As expected max. 3 channels with a perfect frequency offset at a higher frequency range. Octave 3-4.... Something POKEY can only do correct with some trickery.

Dear Crazy Person,

Even IF there are any notes in the Bosconian opening theme that POKEY can't get close enough, it's only a three-voice song. Just run POKEY in 16/8/8 mode and assign any problem notes to the 16-bit channel.

But precise note matching is really less important than you desperately, obnoxiously cling to believing. As long as the notes used aren't horribly off-key, and everything else is right... the timing, volume, and envelopes... a song will be recognizable as itself. This principle is why, for example, even a TIA trying to do the Galaga theme can sound "good" to most ears.

Edited by ZylonBane

Tell that the Atari engineers of the past, creating the PAL machines. You cannot change the color there. On PAL machines it is unchangeable "green and violett" .... since PAL machines don't have a "red" color.

Yep. The "real" RED isn't there. You have some "Brown/Pink"-Red and some "Whine"-Red.

Yes that's pretty much what I've observed. I never cared much for PAL's gamut. I guess having grown up with NTSC makes me biased. But whatever. I'm sure the engineers had their reasons for it. Whatever those may be.

To be fair it's not PAL's color gamut that is at fault but Atari's output of it's PAL video signal - PAL has a good bandwidth for color and removes hue errors, also chroma errors are not present in PAL outputs....

Take a look at machines developed for PAL rather than converted to PAL, or later machines like the ST and the AMIGA to see what I mean - proper reds...

sTeVE

ST/Amiga are different. They generate RGB and in both cases use the same off-the-shelf IC to create the chroma/luma signals for TV output.

The problem with the "old way", ie initial video chip output based on chroma/luma is that often they don't bother looking after saturation properly.