IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

I have an 800XL with 512KB ram (PAL) and the game halts after the loading screen is displayed. Ha anyone tried it on real HW?

Not yet, but in Altirra in a configuration that matches my real hardware (NTSC 800XL with U1MB), you need to press FIRE after the initial loading logo.

I have an 800XL with 512KB ram (PAL) and the game halts after the loading screen is displayed. Ha anyone tried it on real HW?

My NTSC 800XL has the Antonia 4MB currently configured for Compyshop 576K and it plays fine on it.

Just wanted to say, although I can't play this (my HW is yet to be upgraded and I don't really have much time currently), I wanted to express some appreciation and praise. I grew up on the A8 (ages 14-18) and I "collected" many many games... I don't remember any which did software speech synthesis, and space games tended to feature small objects only. I don't know Bosconian, I must have missed that one at the arcade.

You know... a work like this is worthy of it's own website or blog series.

There's so much material here, and documentation is always an awesome thing.

What prior artwork (source) proved helpful? What unexpected problems arose, and how were they solved?

(If topics like that are in the prior 13 pages, I apologize, but it's 13 pages mixed with comments that I would have to read through and I just can't right now...)

Anyways, keep up the great work, and seeing the video is motivating me to install the extra RAM in my 600XL... :-D

Edited by scottinNH
  • Like 1

Pardon me for not knowing the tactics of the game, but what are those pulsing things that don't move or fire on you?

Apart from points, is there any reason for them?

@Shanti77, incredible port, so good (or not) to see the formations, deadly buggers :)

For those with 128K or emulation, this IS a game to have, amazing work my friend!

Paul.

Edited by Mclaneinc

Pardon me for not knowing the tactics of the game, but what are those pulsing things that don't move or fire on you?

You mean the things that look like mines, and sit there like mines, and blow up when you run into them like mines?

They're lunchboxes.

• Like 1

Aha...Pardon my stupidity, I never crashed in to one :)

Thank you for the answer....

I can't see the sandwiches though?

:)

Edit: They reminded me of things from a game except these ones had beams coming out of them that stopped if you shot them, dozy head cannot remember the games name and I never remember what shooting them did apart from stopping the interconnecting beams.

Dodgy memory at this second....Its most likely Sinistar or the ilk..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Old title screen will be back, but it must be fixed. I make graphics myself, but my skills are poor, maybe I found someone who will do this better.

I can probably find enough free time to work on it now, or other graphics if you need help. You did a good job on the one you made. I can probably improve on it, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Current WIP for the splash screen.

I found out that there was no version of this particular Bosconian logo style with a black background on the machine/cab artwork or any other literature. I think it was just adapted for some website or other online media presentation, and thus floating around out there. So, I wanted to do a version in the original white background. I still like how the black background looks, though, and I think Shanti77 still prefers it. So I'll be working on a black version too (takes a different approach to achieve in Graph2Font).

BTW, credit goes to Shanti77, as this logo was built/reworked from the original one he made and used in earlier released betas.

This is on NTSC.

post-6369-0-72974800-1496810915_thumb.png

Here's the Japanese flyer that this particular logo comes from.

post-6369-0-86811600-1496810943_thumb.jpg

If someone would be kind enough to try this out on real hardware with a CRT, I'd appreciate it. I don't have anything set up in my place at the moment and I'm curious how it works out because it's using widescreen mode.

bosconian white wip8d (ntsc).xex

bosconian white wip8d (PAL).xex

• Like 6