IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

Okay, so it's intended to be an "alarm" symbol. But what's in the game doesn't look like an alarm, at all. What's in the game is this:

ekfnbgK.jpg

This looks like a hat. With sweat drops.

Now, the usual iconography for a warning or alarm in a video game is some variation on an exclamation point. BUT, in this case, I'd argue that you don't need any sort of symbol at all. The player is already overwhelmed with visual information, and there's already a voice literally saying "ALARM ALARM", so why not just get rid of the alarm symbol entirely and only display the enemy ship icons?

Most importantly, that graphic appears on the side of the screen, so players will most likely be scanning it with their peripheral vision, perceiving only flashing blobs instead of recognizing individual shapes. If the number of shapes corresponded directly to the number of incoming ships, that would be the most efficient means to convey to the player the ship count, instead of them having to remember "side blobs minus one".

Edited by ZylonBane

IMO the alarm graphic is superfluous and unneeded. It cheapens the game to just have the entire status/radar disappear for the sake of some cheesy animations.

Also, given that you're about to have a bunch of alien ships on top of you, that's the time you need to have the radar to give you that situational awareness snapshot.

This is seriously one of the best homebrews on the console. I will happily play whatever you release as final. I like this version better than the arcade now, it's more challenging.

Be open to suggestions when you aren't sure how to proceed, but don't put them above your own preferences and goals. Trying to make people happy will steal the joy out of any project.

Seconded

• Like 1

Good. Rybags and others with same opinion plays in 64KBs, others that want speech plays in 128KBs and me that only have emulators without a joystick that never used to play shoot'em'ups with the keyboard will not play.

Good decision. All are happy less me :(.

:grin:

:thumbsup:

Just a quick editorial:

Be open to suggestions when you aren't sure how to proceed, but don't put them above your own preferences and goals. Trying to make people happy will steal the joy out of any project.

-Bry

Of course that I was joking ;)... but is true that I never could play well shoot'em'ups with keyboard :(.

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira

• 3 weeks later...

OK, now that you are almost done, someone said you were looking at Mappy.. ;)

A8 Mappy would be incredible, one of my classic faves! He'd be welcome to borrow my arcade-in-a-joystick (5-in-1) for comparison.

post-149-0-10437800-1507758255_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-83398600-1507758268_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Or new rally-x. Years ago there were a lot of effort to make it, but the project was abandoned. I am just telling this because in the arcade , I guess, Rally-x and Bosconian use the same or similar game engine.

Probably, that doesn't matter that much for the Atari conversion...

• Like 3

@ZylonBane SFX make Miker if you can make it better send it to me, we will see.

@manterola I think on 8-bit Atari is not something like "engine" , if you want make something good or very goog, you must make it from beginning . You can only take advantage of the experience, and use some of code from other game, but you must adjust it to new product. Rally-X is simpler than Bosconian, but it need a lot of work to make Rally-x .

• Like 5

I thought it looked like an alarm bell to me the dots impersonating the sound waves of the bell ringing. I love the playability and would not do anything to sacrifice it... this is wonderful as I stated all during. your choices have been very good. That one more thing one more thing one more thing will never stop and sometimes it turns a gem quite dull. This game is a gem and shines extremely well! It's time for the once over and final release. Great work beautiful Job... It's got the seal of approval and everything +1up

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 4