IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

Yes but not many people know this or take the time to request it.

I dont understand why an OP isnt allowed to change the initial post per default.

Its not only for games but also hardware projects where updates in the original post would be great.

We are now forced to go through loads of pages of replies to find the most updated version of a firmware or other information, the whole system gets cluttered up and for what reason ? Just because it is felt that an initial post should be set in stone ? IMHO we are trying to shoot a fly with a cannon here.

Edited by Level42

• 4 months later...

Yep... And that's why we love this Atari version so much.... There is a older harder version (128K) that has a "Game over" voice at the end and "every breath you take" The Police song when showing the high scores. That version is also cool. But what is great about this version is that is has all those samples and is still 64K compatible.

I guess I'm going to be "that guy", as my memory is getting worse and worse. Is the 128K system Final version still the goto version, for all of the accouterments, - extra ship colors, etc or has that been worked around pretty much, now with the 64K versions, minus a couple extra samples and the Skull and Crossbones? :D

Forgetting about the really nice visuals and sound, I have to say that I think that Bosconian is one of the best games for gameplay on the Atari.

It's more complex than a traditional shoot up. It has applied some good elements of game theory into it:

a) Do I shoot the core of the (spaceship?) to get a quick death, but take less points and risk missiles attacking me?

b) Do I leave the (mines?) in place and work my way around those, potentially putting me at risk but more likely allowing an enemy craft to fly into them.

It is also good that new attributes of the game appear as you get further into the game. Many games use the same attributes but just make things harder/faster. This game makes it harder by having the new attributes, like the missiles being shot out for example.

• Like 5

Just a post to say its nice to see Shanti's game get seen other than here, apart from Ataripl its also got seen on Indie Retro who cover general retro news..

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/01/bosconian-1980s-multi-directional.html

Well done Shanti and we love your game!!!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I got an error message after a while of scrolling the map. The thing started in bomb mode. It scrolled a little with the wheel, then it started adding a column of bombs down the left side of the screen. I clicked on erase and removed the bombs. A little scrolling later and boom. Windows Access Violation error. The error does not terminate the editor. It keeps running.

There is something wonky with the scrolling.

That's what I have found so far. This is using the Bosconian image in the zip file.

• 5 months later...
46 minutes ago, shanti77 said:

Bosconian 1.5f

bosco64pal.xex - 64K pal Atari

bosco128.xex - 128K pal/ntsc Atari

bosco64pal.xex 60.86 kB · 7 downloads bosco128.xex 78.61 kB · 8 downloads

What's been changed? I been happily playing all the versions across the platforms and memory sizes without issue..

I just have to know... it must be put in the download description on the BBS's!