IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

From what I understand, previously there were four (??) versions:

64K NTSC without samples

64K PAL without samples

128K NTSC with samples

128K PAL with samples

Now there is a new 64K PAL version with samples (which might run on NTSC too but uneven frame rate and wrong colours), plus that the two 128K versions were unified into one that automatically detects PAL or NTSC. It would possibly leave it open for a 64K NTSC version with samples, if that at all is technically possible.

There was a 64k pal version with samples. I kept playing that version on my ntsc machine, because I like to have the samples, even if it was playing a little faster. 

So 64k pal with samples is not new.. Or I am remember incorrectly? Maybe only some samples? 

38 minutes ago, manterola said:

There was a 64k pal version with samples. I kept playing that version on my ntsc machine, because I like to have the samples, even if it was playing a little faster. 

So 64k pal with samples is not new.. Or I am remember incorrectly? Maybe only some samples? 

You're right... previous 64k PAL version with 5 samples exists (look one page back here). New version seems to have more or all samples in the 64k version.

Edited by pps

• 11 months later...

Question for anyone with an NTSC machine and #FujiNet: are you having any trouble with getting Bosconian to run?

I'm attempting to use Version 1.5f (from this post) on an NTSC 800XL with 256K of RAM.  The memory checks out OK per XRAM, and uses XE-style 16K banks.  The game is being loaded from the #FujiNet's SD card, not over the network.

Both the 64K and 128K versions will load the title screen, then go no further.  I've left both sitting for extended periods of time and there's no change.

Any ideas?  I'm stuck at this point.

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Question for anyone with an NTSC machine and #FujiNet: are you having any trouble with getting Bosconian to run?

I'm attempting to use Version 1.5f (from this post) on an NTSC 800XL with 256K of RAM.  The memory checks out OK per XRAM, and uses XE-style 16K banks.  The game is being loaded from the #FujiNet's SD card, not over the network.

Both the 64K and 128K versions will load the title screen, then go no further.  I've left both sitting for extended periods of time and there's no change.

Any ideas?  I'm stuck at this point.

The 128K version loads OK here with NTSC 800XL, Rambo XL, Fujinet (Feb 6, 2021 firmware)

64K version at that post is PAL-only so I can't use it.

Did you remember to disable BASIC?

-SteveS

57 minutes ago, shanti77 said:

Try this version, maybe there is a problem with the loader.

bosco128_15f_no_load_screen.xex 78.28 kB · 3 downloads

Same result, I'm afraid.

42 minutes ago, a8isa1 said:

The 128K version loads OK here with NTSC 800XL, Rambo XL, Fujinet (Feb 6, 2021 firmware)

64K version at that post is PAL-only so I can't use it.

Did you remember to disable BASIC?

-SteveS

Running the same firmware and no dice.  My memory expansion is one of Claus B's, which is about the only difference.

BASIC is being disabled (booting with OPTION held down).

24 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Same result, I'm afraid.

Running the same firmware and no dice.  My memory expansion is one of Claus B's, which is about the only difference.

BASIC is being disabled (booting with OPTION held down).

Are you pressing START at the Bosconian screen and again at the "GAMER" screen?

-SteveS

• Like 2

2 hours ago, a8isa1 said:

Are you pressing START at the Bosconian screen and again at the "GAMER" screen?

No.  Now it works.  No idea how I missed that in everything I read and tried, but it's loading now.  My apologies for the wild goose chase.

You know how some days are ones where you're smarter than on the others?  This is one of the others.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Bosconian on tomorrow's (Fri Aug 13, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day!

Games:

• Peril (2019 WIP | 8-Bit) by Vladimir Zuñiga @vhzc
  • RGB (2015 | 8-Bit) by Marek Pavlík @MaPa (Code and game concept), Zdeněk Eisenhammer (PG) (Ingame visuals, level design, music, sound effects and documentation), Adam Powroźnik (Ooz) (additional graphics and fonts)
  • Bosconian (2020 | 8-Bit) by Janusz Chablowski @shanti77 (Code, Graphics), Krzysztof Ziembik (kaz) (Title Screen Graphics), Michal Szpilowski @miker (Music)

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Version 64K pal 2022:

- increased gameplay speed
- correct speed when moving at an angle (applies to all objects)
- new player ship graphics
- music during the game (can be turned on/off by pressing SELECT)
- tilting the joystick in any direction when starting the game (pressing fire) causes the continuation of the game from the level on which we died
- START=pause/start game (OPTION during pause = title screen)

bosco64pal22.xex

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Perhaps, but it was the only one I had available and it met the requirements. There is not much memory left in the game, so the music had to be short, it should sound good on two channels, and even on one. Unfortunately, the panel occupies one sound channel, and the other almost all the time is occupied by the sound of gunfire.

On 12/9/2022 at 2:18 PM, shanti77 said:

Version 64K pal 2022:

- tilting the joystick in any direction when starting the game (pressing fire) causes the continuation of the game from the level on which we died

bosco64pal22.xex 61.39 kB · 74 downloads

illegal command ASR ?

earlier versions did not require it

image.thumb.png.3a83cabf6023cc01a1e17d25337bf2d0.png

On 12/9/2022 at 8:18 AM, shanti77 said:

Version 64K pal 2022:

bosco64pal22.xex 61.39 kB · 81 downloads

Awesome Janusz ! Final release nothing to envy to the original arcade machine and I dare to say this version is better with music, awesome graphics and excellent playable. This game is unstoppable. A masterpiece game. Thanks TEBE for saharing the file too. Merry Christmas for all of you guys !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MrFish said:

Hmmm... it looks like I never posted these before (just the screenshots). Maybe I was still planning to add the Bally logo first. Oh well, good enough for the time being.

1604574607_boscblack.thumb.png.94af86e0f03b70aa9e89f9b1cae28b4a.png        821763817_boscwhite.thumb.png.2bacc3befad93bb9fb68a924aacebaa9.png

bosconian black namco - dark blues.xex 6.44 kB · 10 downloads

bosconian white namco 2 - dark blues.xex 6.45 kB · 3 downloads

I just remembered, these are NTSC colors (not that Graph2Font ever output single binaries for both standards). So, maybe I'll get a PAL version made up...

• Like 1