IGNORED

Dr. D.'s ColecoVision/ADAM board game for ADAMcon 28, "ADAMite"

Dr. D.

Hi gang, I know it's been forever since I was here. Probably not since last ADAMcon :-S

This is a modified repost of an E-mail announcement that I made yesterday to people who I know are attending ADAMcon 28 next week, or would probably be interested. Some folks here might be interested as well.

I am again responsible for this year's Mighty Mitchell Award (MMA) contest at ADAMcon 28. (You may remember the special Time Pilot CV cartridge I made in 2013, won by newcoleco). This year, I wrote a board game, ADAMite, which we will play in some kind of tournament to determine a winner. The MMA prize this year will be a physical copy of the board game.

ADAMite is part Life, part Monopoly, and part Dungeons and Dragons. The idea is to play 30 years of your ColecoVision/ADAM hobby, including attending ADAMcons, in a game lasting 90 minutes or so. (There are ways to make it longer, if people want to.)

Since the rules are complex, I have made a website for people to look at before ADAMcon. I have not posted all the graphic elements, but all the rules, game board, text of action cards, and money are finalized.

See the game webpage at http://rinette.cwru.edu/~drushel/adamite/ for more information.

Feel free to forward this link to anyone who you think might be interested. But please don't steal the game! I worked very hard on it. Some day it could be written in SmartBASIC or even made into a ColecoVision cartridge game for Pixelboy.

Hope to see you at ADAMcon sometime!

*Dr. D.*

Edited by Dr. D.
  • Like 3

I've scheduled an hour this Tuesday evening to study the rules of your board game. I will drop by the AdamCon weekly chat Wednesday evening, and if you're there I will ask questions if I have any. :)

Great! We will be getting into Guelph on Wednesday afternoon.

newcoleco found some typos that I fixed. I also made some minor changes and clarifications that came up as I was finalizing the artwork for the action cards. There might be more; I will fix them as I find them. So make sure that you look at the most recent versions (i.e., refresh the page or dump your browser cache).

*Dr. D.*

Thanks for including me in the game! ;) A novel, if unintentional, way to celebrate my 30th full year of Adam ownership! :)

Hehe, glad to oblige! I hope the karmic Murphy is good to you (or at least doesn't find you with anything bad).

BTW, the game was well-received at ADAMcon 28 and I only had to close 2 obscure loopholes (found by NewColeco) to keep the game balanced. These rules changes will get folded into revised docs on the website. After 2 practice sessions (to acquaint the unfamiliar with D&D concepts like character generation and probability tables for game events), we played 2 games in parallel (5 and 6 players respectively) from start to finish in 2 hours. It was greatly helped by having one non-player DM/banker per game, as well as me floating back and forth between the two games to answer questions. Once people play it enough, though, I think it will be pretty easy for the DM/banker to be a player as well. Think about your early experiences with Monopoly.

BTW2, the winner was adamcon (so he went home with the prize copy of the game), with hardhat coming in second.

*Dr. D.*

Edited by Dr. D.