IGNORED

What type of Display are you using?

Everett1954

CRT Vs. LCD  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What type of display do you use with your 7800?

• CRT (old school all the way!)
    • LCD flat panel (whats a CRT?)
    • Plasma or other

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi,

Now that Im a proud owner of a Harmony Encore, I am disappointed that the display font is so unreadable.

The manual said it is optimized for CRT displays.

That seems bit strange seeing that it is 2016 and they are no longer made.

Maybe there is a large percentage of you using this technology.

Lets See!

I have my Atari 7800 hooked up with my other systems (Gamecube, Sony Playstation and Sega Genesis) onto the same tv because I just don't have any other options at my apartment right now. That tv happens to be an LCD but honestly besides a few games it works really well!! The only games that have issues are Midnight Mutants (looks really fuzzy in the woods area for some reason...), Jr. Pac Man for 2600 (first maze is almost unplayable with how blurry it is), and Crystal Castles for 2600 (only a few maps appear blurry, rest are fine). I've tried to adjust about every setting possible on the tv to fix those three but overall I'm happy that all of my other games work fine and that its just three that are difficult to play. :)

On a side note, due to some blurriness, Haunted House actually looks creepier and a lot cooler on my LCD tv. I actually enjoy it more the way it looks! lol

Edited by Ska_music_fan83

I use a 13" Apple Color Composite monitor from 1987 with external audio by running through a VCR and out to external speakers. Gives a great vintage feel. Bonus is that it's fully analog so I can adjust vertical hold for 2600 games with scanline count issues that might cause rolling on a modern monitor or TV.

• Like 1

CRT. I keep/maintain a few CRTs for the classic systems. LCD just feels wrong to me, and in some instances, it looks wrong, too--certain games and consoles just do not translate well on my 42" Samsung. And you can't use light guns on them. So CRTs are kind of a requirement for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a free 13" CRT TV from a "for free" local group on FB. Just asked if anyone had an old "tube" tv they didn't use anymore. The owner contacted me, gave me an address, and said the TV would be sitting on their front porch, so come pick it up. Hard to beat free! Lol!

Don't have a 7800 (yet), but this is what I currently use for my 2600.

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

Edited by 24Fanatic365

With so many of you using CRTs i thought i would give it a go also. i picked up a 27" Sony with S-Video and composite. It is a heavy monster!

I also changed over my simple 1 transistor composite mod to the LongHorn S-Video/composite board on the 7800 (5200 already had one)

This board is so much better..I can read the menu font on my Harmony cartridge much better on my LCD (it is near perfect on CRT).

I would still like to try/see the Best Electronics 7800 mod, lots of people rave about it...and it is cheap.

Also Bryan (member) UAV (Ultimate Atari Video) sound great , will see once they go on sale at AA store.

Anyone tried his board in a 7800?

I generally have used a CRT but I did the composite video upgrade and so been leaning more on the LCD...when my 7800 works (I need to find and replace the power switch). It looks great on either TV to be honest although the LCD does have fewer problems as my CRT's video ports have lose internal connections so I'm going to have to tear the thing apart to fix that little issue

• 3 weeks later...

Got a modded 7800 a few weeks ago, so I plug it straight into my 27" Vizio with the Rca jacks. The pic looks great. 2600 games look really good, too, but it's weird not seeing the scan lines.

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

Edited by 24Fanatic365
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, this is my first time posting here at AtariAge. I managed to snag both the Atari 2600Jr and the just the other day a 7800 from Goodwill online auctions. I was playing them (until tonight when it died) on a Westinghouse 32" LCD flat screen. But upgraded this evening to a 43" Sharp 4K TV. My Jr has the composite AV mod from Retrofixes.com, and my 7800 is still running RF. I just noticed that my new TV is registering RF signals from the 7800, my old LCD couldn't. I'm using a standard composite video cable with the F-type adapter to coax.

My current television which I'm using to play Atari games via console is a modern LED TV Philco 24".

Currently in my house, I have 2 modern LED TVs which replaced the old school CRT TVs.

My real system which I started using this year is an NTSC composite modded Atari 7800 Prosystem Console for use with modern TVs. I won this system from HighScore.com Official Competitions (and also Super 78 Edladdin Controller).

post-24681-0-21960800-1475321403_thumb.jpg post-24681-0-54666300-1475321423_thumb.jpg post-24681-0-49685300-1475321461_thumb.jpg

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1

Any 8 bit gaming. Crt is the best..

How do you play your light gun games???

Don't play many now - Have Virtua Cop 1 & 2 on Saturn and HOTD2 on Dreamcast. Play those very rarely now.

The Wii is where its at for that type of game and obviously it doesn't need a CRT. Pity it didn't get a Virtua Cop release.

Edited by davyK

Don't play many now - Have Virtua Cop 1 & 2 on Saturn and HOTD2 on Dreamcast. Play those very rarely now.

The Wii is where its at for that type of game and obviously it doesn't need a CRT. Pity it didn't get a Virtua Cop release.

Yeah. All not 8 bit.

I like rf artifacting/interlacing as well on a crt.