IGNORED

Penguin Adventure, Gradius and Super Game Module 3rd Production Status

GraziGamer

Just received Penguin Adventure and Gradius and am totally blown away by the packaging and gameplay of Gradius. Unfortunately my Penguin Adventure cart is bad and keeps resetting once it gets to the gameplay in the self running demo or when I start a game... right after the world map it flashes the woods level for a second before resetting.

Thanks to Opcode, Grazi and Al for getting these out before X-Mas and i'll wait til after X-mas to contact Al so he can enjoy his day tomorrow.

• Like 1

I echo NIAD's comments...fantastic packaging for these games, tremendous graphics, and a lot of fun to play. I always loved Gradius on my NES and became addicted to Penguin Adventure when I saw it through emulation on MSX and MAME. Now I can play both on my ColecoVision and ADAM.

Just received Penguin Adventure and Gradius and am totally blown away by the packaging and gameplay of Gradius. Unfortunately my Penguin Adventure cart is bad and keeps resetting once it gets to the gameplay in the self running demo or when I start a game... right after the world map it flashes the woods level for a second before resetting.

Thanks to Opcode, Grazi and Al for getting these out before X-Mas and i'll wait til after X-mas to contact Al so he can enjoy his day tomorrow.

I got my SGM and these two new games last week, as well. The packaging is incredible and I'm really enjoying playing the games, but I do have a question...

I've noticed the volume is much lower when playing the Super Games than when playing regular games on the system. Is this normal?

I got my SGM and these two new games last week, as well. The packaging is incredible and I'm really enjoying playing the games, but I do have a question...

I've noticed the volume is much lower when playing the Super Games than when playing regular games on the system. Is this normal?

Are you playing on a Stand-Alone ADAM Computer? If so, that is the problem... well, really the problem is Coleco incorrectly tapped into the sound on the CV Delta Board for the Auxillary 7-pin DIN Port. In order to fix this, you would need to open up the ADAM, remove the shielding from the top PCB (the CV board), follow the corresponding wire that carries sound back from the DIN Port to where it is soldered onto the CV board, desolder it and then resolder it to the Cap at C88. There was a "How To" video posted on this forum... somewhere.

Or you could just raise the volume up higher on your TV and hopefully you won't get too much "noise" in the audio output.

The Expansion Module #1 Atari Adapter experiences the same issue on the Stand-Alone ADAM.

Edited by NIAD

Are you playing on a Stand-Alone ADAM Computer? If so, that is the problem... well, really the problem is Coleco incorrectly tapped into the sound on the CV Delta Board for the Auxillary 7-pin DIN Port. In order to fix this, you would need to open up the ADAM, remove the shielding from the top PCB (the CV board), follow the corresponding wire that carries sound back from the DIN Port to where it is soldered onto the CV board, desolder it and then resolder it to the Cap at C88. There was a "How To" video posted on this forum... somewhere.

Or you could just raise the volume up higher on your TV and hopefully you won't get too much "noise" in the audio output.

The Expansion Module #1 Atari Adapter experiences the same issue on the Stand-Alone ADAM.

So what you're saying is that the problem is not just with the "monitor" output connector, but with the regular RF output as well? I remember testing this a while ago and had no sound problem with the SGM when using the RF output...

• Like 1

So what you're saying is that the problem is not just with the "monitor" output connector, but with the regular RF output as well? I remember testing this a while ago and had no sound problem with the SGM when using the RF output...

There are no issues when using the RF Output of the Stand-Alone ADAM with the EM#1 or SGM... only when using the Auxiliary DIN Port for Composite Video with Audio. It's the same issue that arose with a a couple of the earliest Composite Video Mods that where made/offered for the ColecoVision seeing as these mods where based off of how Coleco modded the CV Delta Board in the ADAM. So...

RF Output = Good

Auxiliary 7-Pin DIN Port (Composite Video with Mono Audio) = Low volume output

Auxiliary 7-Pin DIN Port (Composite Video with Mono Audio) fixed to draw sound from C88 = Good

I'm playing these on an un-modded CV, not an Adam. And I tried a second unit just to make sure it wasn't the console. Also I don't have this problem when using the Atari Expansion Module -- the volume is the same as when I'm playing regular CV games.

I would say there is an issue with the SGM since you are using a CV and have tested on a second CV. Before proceeding, I recommend thoroughly cleaning the Expansion Interface card-edge connector in the CV with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and De-Oxit even though you say the Atari Exp. Mod. is outputting sound correctly.

I would say there is an issue with the SGM since you are using a CV and have tested on a second CV. Before proceeding, I recommend thoroughly cleaning the Expansion Interface card-edge connector in the CV with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and De-Oxit even though you say the Atari Exp. Mod. is outputting sound correctly.

Thanks, I tried that. Surpisingly it was a bit dirty, but didn't make any difference in the sound. I guess I will contact Ed and Grazi and see what they say.

Thanks, I tried that. Surpisingly it was a bit dirty, but didn't make any difference in the sound. I guess I will contact Ed and Grazi and see what they say.

You can try to send us a quick clip of the sound, so we can check if there is anything abnormal.

You can try to send us a quick clip of the sound, so we can check if there is anything abnormal.

I don't have anything that will take video right now and I think the auto-volume control would make it difficult to record the problem anyway. In any case, I sent an e-mail to your Opcode Support address since your message box is full.

I got my SGM and Penguin Adventure. Very good quality. I have been in the printing trade for quite sometime. Worked for some printing company's that due this type of printing. I specialize in finish bindery. So these game cases have had a lot of procedure to do this kind of quality. You have 4 color printing plus I think there was a metallic ink used for the silver. Then it laminated, if metallic is used thats a 3 day dry time because the lamination will come off if ink if itis not perfectly dried I'm sure it was gloss lam. Then it's back to the press for the matte clear spot coating. Another 2 days of dry time. Now the press sheets have to be made into the cases. This is basically gluing the paper on chipboard stiffener to make the cases. The manuals are printed on 80lb cover stock that is gloss UV. Which is very slick and a nightmare for folders to fold. So the bottom line is I would say conservatively that each case costs about 15 to 20 bucks apiece. So us getting these games for 50 bucks a piece was a bargain. Well now for the product. The game is excellent lots of levels and interesting interplay. The SGM is great. I notice a slight drop in volume on Colecovision using the SGM. But I don't think it's a SGM problem. I noticed that the sound is cleaner less distorted with the SGM. So I'm inclined to believe the internal sound chip on Colecovison AV modulator is being over driven which it would be loader but also slightly distorted. I'll take the clearer sound and turn the TV up a bit more. Good products Opcode!

• Like 1

As for the volume, I did notice Penguin Adventure overall volume is quieter than Gradius. So if you're playing Penguin Adventure the game is quieter than the other SGM game. Goonies and Knightmare is louder than Penguin Adventure. I wanted to bring that up.

The product quality, the box, manual, cartridge and the games are outstanding. This is actually my first 2 games I brought, ported by Opcode. Gradius is awesome. I first played the MSX version long time ago at a Science and Industry museum where they had old console set up and play. They had an MSX with a sega controller. I'm happy to play this game on my Colecovision with a modded Sega Genesis controller with the pass through. I started off adjusting my TV's colors to get more color separation because 2 different shade of yellows were almost close to each other. At least the light pink is now shade of orange. I managed to get past that upside down volcano and eventually gave up at the scramble part of the stage. Those Easter Island head sure gave me trouble until I decided to stay on the top route to the boss. I'm happy that it had option to start with 9 lives and able to push 5 to continue. Also, it saves the option if you powered off and come back to it.

Penguin Adventure, sadly I didn't eat the box. It is too pretty. Instead I opened it and took the game and manual out. I'm working on finding those shops. I did find 2 of them today, you had to fall into the small hole, smaller then the regular hole. I brought the gun from a rude shop keeper and got the silver bracelet for free at the other one. Silly bipolar shop keeper ^_^. I have the manual help me tell me what the items does. Konami really pushed the TMS9918A chip to it limit with this game. It looks fantastic and fun to play. I really loving the continue feature to let me practice the later stages. Great music and sound effects, but plays at half volume.

I'm really happy with the overall product. Edwardo and Grazi worked really hard together to put these products out. And Albert for being awesome and help distributing the product. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

As I said, we will announce the next run in just a few days. :)

Allright!! I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this news, Ed! Speaking as someone who bought both games, but was too late to the party to snag a coveted SGM, I am more than anxious to actually play these bad boys! :waving:

BTW, the game boxes are totally stellar...far exceeding my wildest expectations! I remember how impressed I was by the packaging when I received your very first "homebrew" Space Invaders Collection (#18 according to the little white sticker on the plastic baggie it came in) way back when, but THIS raises the bar to an all new, stratospherically high level. Bravo!!

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this message board. I am a big Colecovision fan, and I recently learned about Opcode Games, the SGM and AtariAge while browsing reddit. I've alreadly signed up at Opecode's website for the 4th run of the SGM, and the excitement is killing me! I even pre-ordered (and have recieved) Penguin Adventure, and I can't wait to play it. Are we looking at this weekend for pre-orders? Please say yes! Lol!

• Like 2

So do I need to get on a list to purchase the Super module and a couple games ?

I suppose b4 I get all excited about this , I am not gonna be so inclined to pay in full and sit a year+ while enough orders are garnered to make a run worthwhile.

Hello peedenmark7,

It looks like the Atariage store still has Penguin Adventure, Gradius, Warp & Warp and Tank Battalion for sale. When I first contacted Opcode Games via Facebook, Ed told me that the fourth run will take half the time to manufacture. He said pre-orders would ship somewhere between 4-5 months.

I would be interested in a gatefold box for the SGM if they are available.

Yes, an option to buy the new gatefold box with any new paperwork for the sgm would be a great option for those of us with multiple sgm units from the first 2 runs ;)

Agreed; I wouldn't mind picking up a new box along with any related paperwork, as well as a new SGM label as has been already discussed. Hopefully they over ordered on these just in case.

I tried the Konami code in the game pause mode. It made my ship self-destruct and immediately game over. Just like Gradius 3. :lol: It's like the game telling me that 9 lives, auto-fire normal, easy mode, infinite continue isn't good enough for you and denied fully power up my ship. I'm thinking now that the number pad is the key to fully power up the ship. Just need to know what number to key in, I'm thinking it may be opcode or Grazi birthdate or year. Or am I getting too greedy with this game ;). It's really awesome.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 2

I tried the Konami code in the game pause mode. It made my ship self-destruct and immediately game over. Just like Gradius 3. :lol: It's like the game telling me that 9 lives, auto-fire normal, easy mode, infinite continue isn't good enough for you and denied fully power up my ship. I'm thinking now that the number pad is the key to fully power up the ship.

=XXXXXXX

Edited by GraziGamer
  • Like 1