IGNORED

Penguin Adventure, Gradius and Super Game Module 3rd Production Status

GraziGamer

@Grazi and Ed

Received my SE Gradius and Penguin Adventure and these are hands down the most beautifully designed boxes/instruction manuals/catalog for homebrew releases. This must be the best price/quality ratio ever, which is not very common these days.

Many thanks for caring that much for our hobby and keep them coming!

• Like 1

@Grazi and Ed

Received my SE Gradius and Penguin Adventure and these are hands down the most beautifully designed boxes/instruction manuals/catalog for homebrew releases. This must be the best price/quality ratio ever, which is not very common these days.

Many thanks for caring that much for our hobby and keep them coming!

We are very glad for that!! Thank you, we really apreciate!!!

Enjoy your new games :D

Received my SGM and Penguin Adventure/Gradius a few weeks ago, so, a bit late to post here, but wanted to offer my thoughts regardless. The quality of the unit, cartridges, and packaging itself is phenomenal -- hugely impressed with Opcode's work, here. You can almost physically feel the care and attention that went into the creation of these; the glossy, authentic-feeling manuals, the smooth, sturdy boxes, even the adorable little product catalog that just oozes with nostalgia. My only tiff is a minor one, and that is I feel like the inner cover could have used a "pocket" or something to hold the manual/papers in; sometimes when I open them up, they tend to slip right out. A trivial quibble at best, because everything else is just so good.

Unfortunately, the SGM doesn't seem to play nice with my ColecoVision -- no idea why, the cartridges themselves all seem to be fine, but the SGM doesn't appear to "connect" with the console properly, and cleaning the expansion port contacts did nothing -- so I've yet to be able to play the games just yet until I figure out what's wrong (or get a new console entirely, more likely, since I'm fairly sure that's where the issue lies). Still, A+ for presentation alone (they just look so good on display), and I'll definitely be supporting future releases to the best of my capacity.

So can I send my sgm to you so you can look into what is wrong with it ? It worked on one of my consoles when I first got it but now every sgm game just has a black screen . If helpful to you I could possibly send one of my concoles with games if it would help with anyone if they are having issues similiar to mine .

So can I send my sgm to you so you can look into what is wrong with it ? It worked on one of my consoles when I first got it but now every sgm game just has a black screen . If helpful to you I could possibly send one of my concoles with games if it would help with anyone if they are having issues similiar to mine .

Please contact Grazi so she can provide you our address. Looks like your SGM is dead. Have you tried to run a diagnostic? You can use any of our games, even the ones published by Team Pixelboy or Collectorvision. Then power on or reset while pressing the * key. That should display the diagnostic screen.

It would be great to have one of those ColecoVisions unable to run Penguin Adventure, that would make testing a lot easier. However you seem to have a dead a SGM, so I guess the games should run fine once you get a new SGM back.

I will try more testing tonight with a stock coleco unmodded and try to run diagnostic . Like I said , the sgm power light is on but it does not play any sgm game but at first it did play games... Gradius , Spelunker , penguin , Goonies etc ... now just a black or scrambled screen like the photo above .

I turned on the console while holding * and it just said psg . So while holding it in I then hit reset and this screen came up and hitting the fire buttons does not do anything . I also tried the sgm on two stock Colecovision consoles and got nothing . So I will probably just send the sgm as that seems to be the problem .

So when I first got the new sgm on one console gradius and penguin worked fine and another console they did not work and now won't work on any console stock and modded .

post-30396-0-11790200-1486932187_thumb.jpg

I turned on the console while holding * and it just said psg . So while holding it in I then hit reset and this screen came up and hitting the fire buttons does not do anything . I also tried the sgm on two stock Colecovision consoles and got nothing . So I will probably just send the sgm as that seems to be the problem .

So when I first got the new sgm on one console gradius and penguin worked fine and another console they did not work and now won't work on any console stock and modded .

Ok, so let's replace your SGM first.

• 3 weeks later...

I am just checking up on how this process goes is all . I sent mine out on the 14th and have not heard anything yet . Does someone contact us when it is shipping back out ? Do you have a time frame of when a new/repaired one will ship back to me ?

Ed is shipping a few modules tomorrow, yours included. Feel free to email me if you have any more questions.

Eduardo and Grazi,

Do you have an update on when Bosconian will once again be in stock at AtariAge? The original estimate was for early February, and it's now approaching mid March. It's the one OpCode release I missed late last year, as I just discovered the entire homebrew community in late December. Much appreciated.

• 6 months later...

Any updates on the faulty Penguin Adventure cartridges. as nice as the box is it would be nice to have a working game and it has been six months now?

I sent my faulty Penguin Adventure and CV motherboard to Opcode over 4 months ago but never got any update on what was going on despite sending a few emails enquiring as to the status of the investigation. Yesterday, Grazi told me that Ed would be returning the items but has not confirmed if the issue has been fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Eduardo and Grazi,

Do you have an update on when Bosconian will once again be in stock at AtariAge? The original estimate was for early February, and it's now approaching mid March. It's the one OpCode release I missed late last year, as I just discovered the entire homebrew community in late December. Much appreciated.

Hi Bry,

We will try to restock still this year, things will run much faster when I finally come live in the US (next month or December), because now I'm still in Brazil and I cannot help with the physical part of the job, Ed has to do all the programming and shipping alone. So next year things will go more smoothly and you all will have more OPcode ;) I'm willing to restock the 3 Color games for a long time, but with the distance there's no much I can do. =/

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to add a new wrinkle to this whole Penguin Adventure.

Mine worked fine with my non-modded CV with a first run SGM. Today I finally fixed the switch on my simple AV modded CV. Game boots, when I get to the world map and te game switches to the game screen the system resets. Other SGM games seem to work on it, including Gradius. Tried different PS and no difference. Tried the cart on my non-modded CV and it seems to work. Now here is the really strange thing. I have a JB, bought it before things had gotten really ugly. With the JB plugged into my AV modded CV PA seems to work fine.

charles

Hi Charles,

Thanks for reporting this. Grazi and I are working to get all pending issues and orders resolved/shipped this year. For example, we have started contacting people about the paper nameplate in the 2nd run. Penguin Adventure is part of that list too.

I have a board here that someone with the Penguin issue sent me, and the first thing I noticed is that it is heavily modded. Charles, could you please tell me exactly the extent of your AV mod? Is it a F18A? Any changes to power lines, changes to the BIOS, any other changes?

Anyone else with issues running Penguin, could you please post here if your CV has any modds?

Thanks!

Hi Ed,

The only modification I have are:

replaced power switch, this morning I removed it and jumpered the connections to make sure the PS wasn't causing an issue.

AV composite mod, it's a simple one 1 transistor some caps and resistors.

It has the factory bios. Don't think there is anything else different.

I also tried a couple more PS and no difference.

Wonder why it works with the counterfeit SGM.

Someone need to develop a cart that can display power diagnostics for the cart port.

thanks for taking the time to look into this issue.

evg2000... I experienced issues with my Penguin Adventure cart and reported them shortly after it's release. I was using a heavily modded Yurkie CV system (Composite A/V mod, fire-button skip BIOS, most (or was it all) chips on the CV board socketed, modern power transformer mod) with the Opcode SGM and everytime the game would reset after going into demo mode or before I could start a game.

I tried it on an unmodded CV with the Opcode SGM and an ADAM with Opcode SGM and IT WORKED flawlessly.

Eventually, I tried again on my Yurkie modded CV and stumbled across a way to get it to work.... I had to press down and hold pressure on the top of the Penguin Adventure cartridge for the game to play correctly.

I always left my AtariMax Ultimate SD Cartridge plugged in on this Yurkie CV so perhaps the tension on the cartridge connector has loosened. All my other CV cartridges (old and new) work fine on this Yurkie CV, so the issue has to lie somewhere with the Penguin Adventure cartridge PCB contacts and cartridge connectors on the CV motherboard that are worn just enough to cause a problem.

I've experienced issues dumping all the latest CollectorVision games with the AtariMax MaxFlash Cart Dumper as well and finally stumbled upon a solution... I have to favor one side (left when looking at the cartridge to dump) when inserting into the MaxFlash Cart. If I install the cart to dump straight in as it normally lines up, I experience problems and get a bad dump.

So, to make a long story short, your P.A. cart may actually be fine, but the contacts aren't lining up exactly where they need to be for the game to play correctly. Mine was a simple remedy after thinking it was so many other things at first.

I'll have to test out my P.A. cart with the Juicebox SGM to see if I have to keep constant pressure on the top of the cartridge for it to play on my Yurkie CV. Seeing as that idiot will never release Berzerk like he planned, it'd be nice to have a use for it besides listening to the voice with his test utility.