IGNORED

Penguin Adventure, Gradius and Super Game Module 3rd Production Status

GraziGamer

Just received Penguin Adventure and Gradius and am totally blown away by the packaging and gameplay of Gradius. Unfortunately my Penguin Adventure cart is bad and keeps resetting once it gets to the gameplay in the self running demo or when I start a game... right after the world map it flashes the woods level for a second before resetting.

Thanks to Opcode, Grazi and Al for getting these out before X-Mas and i'll wait til after X-mas to contact Al so he can enjoy his day tomorrow.

This happened to me yesterday both Gradius and Penguin Adventure. I used the NES method of fixing the cart(bad habit of blowing out the dust out of the cartridge) and then put it back into the Colecovision. And I ensure that the power adapter is fully plugged into the system and then it should hopefully works perfectly. If you have the old one or the new one, I would try to reseat the cart if it messes up.

Haven't had a chance to test mine. Better get on it.......

I am pretty sure that the issue is with the Modded CV BIOS (Fire-Button Skip) that is in my CV. Thankfully the chip is socketed, so all I need to do is open up the system and replace with the original BIOS.

BTW, I tested on my ADAM and Penguin Adventure plays perfectly, but have yet to pull out another CV system that is un-modded to test on... I am sure it will work fine especially since no one else is reporting an issue.

Edited by NIAD

I am pretty sure that the issue is with the Modded CV BIOS (Fire-Button Skip) that is in my CV. Thankfully the chip is socketed, so all I need to do is open up the system and replace with the original BIOS.

We will investigate that once I am back to the States...

I have two modded Colecovisions with skip bios by yurkie and I have both new games . I will check them both out soon .

There were 2 different versions of the Fire Button Skip BIOS hack. More than likely you have the updated (newer) version and should have no problem with Penguin Adventure.

And again, Gradius plays fine on my system, it's just Penguin Adventure that crashes.

Thankfully mine is socketed so it will be easy enough to replace with the original BIOS.

There were 2 different versions of the Fire Button Skip BIOS hack. More than likely you have the updated (newer) version and should have no problem with Penguin Adventure.

The second version , do refer to the one i had patched some time ago to make work sewer sam properly? Or it is another one?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/196349-sewer-sam-and-bluemsx/?p=2506304

And again, Gradius plays fine on my system, it's just Penguin Adventure that crashes.

Thankfully mine is socketed so it will be easy enough to replace with the original BIOS.

Just tested Penguin Adventure on my modded CV with youki's patched fire skip BIOS and I too suffer from the reset problem.

I've also noticed a problem with Penguin Adventure crashing right after the first level starts, but only occasionally. My console doesn't have the skip BIOS though, it's stock.

Oh Brother!!!

Then there is another issue altogether. It could be issues with the Power Supply and fluctuating voltages?

Did you purchase Gradius as well and if so, does it work?

I have just tested Penguin Adventure on my F18A modded CV with four different BIOS's and I experienced the reset problem with ALL of them. Could this actually be an F18A related issue? The BIOS's I tested are:

• Original 1982
  • Original Fire Skip
  • Patched Fire Skip (youki)
  • Bruce Tomlin Optimised with Fire Skip

Gradius works fine (based on a short play test)

For those who have experienced problems with Penguin Adventure could you please report back if your system is also modded with an F18A and/or if it plays okay on a stock CV.

I just completed another test, this time using my component modded CV (i.e. no F18A) and the Original Fire Skip BIOS. The gameplay started with no issues, i.e. there was no reset problem.

The only thing I can conclude from my testing is that the problem appears to be with F18A modded CV systems. Can anyone else confirm this?

Although this was with my HDMI mod with the off the shelf 5V power supply.

Interesting, the system I'm having issues with Penguin Adventure is powered by a standard original brick. The component modded CV that Penguin Adventure works in has a new internal power mod.

Could this be power supply related?

Did you cut power or remove the 4116s when you did the F18a? Could always try that or different power supply to see if it makes a difference. Could also try cleaning the expansion port, sometimes bad connection with SGM can cause issues.

I just cut power to the 4116s with my F18A mod.

Before I do anything else I want to wait and see what feedback others give. In particular NIAD to see if he had any success with BIOS changes etc.