IGNORED

Long shot: question about two random S-video switches

More specifically, how the audio outs function: both of these switches have 3.5 mm audio jacks on the front as "output 2". IF I was to run sound out the back via rca cables, and THEN plug a 3.5 mm cord into the front....would the sound from the RCAs be cut out? I recall having some older devices that would not output on other ports or via their speaker if you plugged something into the "headphone jack" (but I believe most were small stereos so that actually makes sense).

I actually WANT both to work simultaneously, so my TV can have sound (via RCAs) as well as my gaming chair (via the 3.5 mm) which though I scoffed at as an Xmas gift is actually pretty awesome to use the sound on.

Total long shot I know but I am trying to not have to find out the hard way! Anybody own one of these models and can answer my question?

Recoton DVD1000

s-l1600.jpg

Recoton SVS1000

s-l1600.jpg

Conversely...anybody know of an S-video switch with true dual outs?

More specifically, how the audio outs function: both of these switches have 3.5 mm audio jacks on the front as "output 2". IF I was to run sound out the back via rca cables, and THEN plug a 3.5 mm cord into the front....would the sound from the RCAs be cut out? I recall having some older devices that would not output on other ports or via their speaker if you plugged something into the "headphone jack" (but I believe most were small stereos so that actually makes sense).

I actually WANT both to work simultaneously, so my TV can have sound (via RCAs) as well as my gaming chair (via the 3.5 mm) which though I scoffed at as an Xmas gift is actually pretty awesome to use the sound on.

Total long shot I know but I am trying to not have to find out the hard way! Anybody own one of these models and can answer my question?

Recoton DVD1000

s-l1600.jpg

I have one similar to this one made by RCA I think let me check at home and experiment a bit. You have me intrigued about the audio bits.

There are some switchers that have multiple outputs that are driven simultaneously. I used to have a 4-in, 2-out switcher, where each output had its own set of four buttons and could be set independently of the other. It supported only composite video, though. I also have an old Pelican System Selector Pro which had two sets of audio outs. They aren't driven independently like the other switch I mentioned, but they do work simultaneously. Pelican later released a fancier version with an LCD display, but that one appears to support only 5 inputs instead of the original's 8. That model seems to be discontinued as well as the original, but either can be found on eBay, I'm sure.

You could always just use RCA Y cables to split and audio/video signal you want.

I'm considering it. I'd like to replace my Pelican S-video switch anyway though because I have to occasionally tap it ever so lightly, a la the Fonz, to get the colors right. I think it has a loose connection somewhere. So if I can find an S video switch with dual outs I solve two issues!

There are some switchers that have multiple outputs that are driven simultaneously. I used to have a 4-in, 2-out switcher, where each output had its own set of four buttons and could be set independently of the other. It supported only composite video, though. I also have an old Pelican System Selector Pro which had two sets of audio outs. They aren't driven independently like the other switch I mentioned, but they do work simultaneously. Pelican later released a fancier version with an LCD display, but that one appears to support only 5 inputs instead of the original's 8. That model seems to be discontinued as well as the original, but either can be found on eBay, I'm sure.

For my composite systems on one side of the rack I am using this 8 IN / 2 OUT passive switch, like yours, it's composite only. But it works really well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-AV-Audio-Video-switch-selector-8-in-2-out-/160449148604?hash=item255b83b6bc:m:moXBWeu8jNvi7OKVLlZlINQ

One set of outs goes to the TV, the other set of audio outs I ran behind some trim and up into the ceiling (drop ceilings don't look great but they sure make it easy to run cables), down the back of the wall, and through a 3.5 plate to my gaming chair. If I can find an S video switch with dual outs I plan to bridge the audio from the 2nd port over to like switch 8 of the composite switch. So some button pushing will need to happen, but no plugging/unplugging.

I do see one S video switch with 4 ins /2 outs on ebay now, and while I have only 4 s-video systems (PS2, PC Engine Duo, SNES, N64), one of the ins on this switch is on the front....which me no like.