IGNORED

Where to buy CV Dig Dug?

CV Gus

If the rom file is not enough for you (played using one of the AtariMax multi-carts or thru emulation), I would suggest contacting CollectorVision to see if they will make you and actual cartridge.

A number of people in the past made small runsnofbDig Dug on cart, but they are pretty scarce and only come up for sale a couple times a year.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but where can someone buy CV Dig Dug- not that "mega cart?" I've tried finding out on the Internet, but only get back e-Bay replies.

Thanks in advance!

Ecoleco used to sell them, I have two so I can let one go for the price I paid. PM me

Edited by coleconut
  • Like 1

Answered two posts previous to your question....

No need for the snark.

Coleconut, would it be possible for you to share a photo of what ecoleco's label on this looked like? I am familiar with the CGE release label and the later releases that aped the Atarisoft design, but I don't think I've ever seen one from eColeco or even the timing in which it was offered.

(Naturally, the label pictured @ colecovision.dk is also one I've never seen.)

ETA: The Wayback Machine has a pretty healthy catalog of snapshots of the eColeco ColecoVision cartridge list running back to mid-2001. None of the archived pages (29 in total - maybe I overlooked something?) from then to the present list Dig Dug, so now I'm really curious as to when it was offered through there.

Edited by mumbai

No need for the snark.

Coleconut, would it be possible for you to share a photo of what ecoleco's label on this looked like?

No snarking here, just quoting what was previously stated by another member previous to your question, but snarking is always a possibility where I'm concerned.

Look forward to seeing if ColecoNut posts a pic as well. When it comes to eColeco/Adam's House, if they made the release by themselves then it's probably a generic white label with black text. If it's one they worked on with Telegames and/or CBS, the label is probably more professionally designed.

I was so excited to finally get the Dig dug for of course big bucks back in the day. Then to play it was so disappointing. The coleco buttons are not like the arcade you can't quickly blow up a monster. Then of course the graphics are disappointing as well. If you are truly just looking to buy this game for playing I would just use the Rom on the ColecoMax cart. Otherwise I would wait for opcode to redo the port from Arcade game which he has hinted as one of his todo. Doesn't mean it will happen but I think that would be awesome to play a better version.

`ok half a step back. I don't remember exactly when I got this cart but it was likely almost 10 years ago. Or even more, I seriously don't remember. I am thinking farther back because I actually thought it was an actual Atari release at the time which of course it isn't.

Secondly I assume it was ecoleco, it was off eBay from someone in Pearland, TX who was selling a number of this type of thing at the time, ergo I believe to be eColeco.

I could be wrong about who the seller was in which case I do not mean to mislead anyone.

`ok half a step back. I don't remember exactly when I got this cart but it was likely almost 10 years ago. Or even more, I seriously don't remember. I am thinking farther back because I actually thought it was an actual Atari release at the time which of course it isn't. Secondly I assume it was ecoleco, it was off eBay from someone in Pearland, TX who was selling a number of this type of thing at the time, ergo I believe to be Coleco. I could be wrong about who the seller was in which case I do not mean to mislead anyone.

I completely understand, and I never thought there was or is intention to mislead. I'm more than fairly certain this cartridge did not originate with eColeco, for a number of solid reasons not worth enumerating so as not to derail this thread any more than I may have already. My ears merely pricked up at the association of this title with that vendor, something I could not square with my experience and more than a little digging around after its mention. Thanks much for the clarification.

A homebrew update would be a good idea for this game. Kindda what they did for Moon Patrol and Joust.

FYI, The re-release of Moon Patrol and Joust could maybe be considered adjusted but they are not brand new fully redone games like hopefully dig dug will be by using arcade code for reference.

Moon Patrol was Matt Patrol from way back in the day that I think was an origin Proto adjusted to have bras and other stuff in the game but not sure origin for sure. The redo moon patrol was just a hack of the Hex codes to adjust colors and shapes to a closer relation to the game and fix the title screen. For Joust it was an actual Second Proto found that didn't have the sound missing. Yes they then adjusted it a little to have a better title screen for the game but it is really still just the proto version.

Seeing as most of the AtariSoft protos (Dig Dug, Pac-Man and Joust (Matt/Moon Patrol originated from one of the carts made by the programmer for firends)) were acquired by Sean Kelly in the late 90s or early 2000s and then released in cartrdige form by him at C.G.E., I highly doubt that Terry Fowler/eColeco (located in Pearland, TX) made their own release of the Dig Dug proto game on cartridge. Does the possibility exist? Certainly, but I have never seen one that I thought was made by eColeco.

So as it stands, there have been two releases made of the game:

1 - by Sean Kelly at C.G.E. and I think with permission from Atari (black label and picture posted above in message #12)

2 - by AtariAge without permission from Atari and therefore sales were stopped (Atarisoft style label posted above in message #17)

I'm sure there have been other fan/hobby creations of the game on cartridge over the years, but the two above are the ones collectors want.

Coleconut, would it be possible for you to share a photo of what ecoleco's label on this looked like

That looks identical to the ones (Dig Dug, Pac Man, Joust) I bought here in AA store quite a while ago. Is the shell a Coleco-esque generic shell with no branding in the back indent, or writing molded?