IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Maybe I'm the only one who is not excited over this. All it is, is a limited rom emulator. If it played original nes games that would be something different. Just a new means of selling a limited number of roms. I suppose if they made the entire nes library available that would be different. A legal way to purchase and play all the rare/expensive games would be cool.

• Like 1

While I wouldn't expect this system to be upgradeable in terms of adding new games, your article above doesn't address the issue. Do you know this for a fact?

Thanks,

..Al

I didn't mean that I was addressing that particular issue in the article. I merely meant I posted some thoughts about the move.

No, none of us know this for a fact, but I think most of us are 99.9% sure that this is going to be a locked down system. It appears to be a true TV game through and through, and Nintendo has no particular incentive to allow ROMS, authorized or otherwise, on such a system (and not authorized because that would leave it more prone to hacking such a feature in).

I didn't mean that I was addressing that particular issue in the article. I merely meant I posted some thoughts about the move.

No, none of us know this for a fact, but I think most of us are 99.9% sure that this is going to be a locked down system. It appears to be a true TV game through and through, and Nintendo has no particular incentive to allow ROMS, authorized or otherwise, on such a system (and not authorized because that would leave it more prone to hacking such a feature in).

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm curious which of these games are currently available for Nintendo's "Virtual Console" and how much they would cost if you bought them all?

..Al

Maybe I'm the only one who is not excited over this. All it is, is a limited rom emulator. If it played original nes games that would be something different. Just a new means of selling a limited number of roms. I suppose if they made the entire nes library available that would be different. A legal way to purchase and play all the rare/expensive games would be cool.

I doubt there will ever be an official means to playing original NES carts as they're just obviously not widely available to the general public anymore. But yeah as limited as the emulated games on here are, half the appeal of this thing is the Nintendo brand with the physical look of the mini-NES, and packaging. :) i.e. good for the collection, if not necessarily for "playing games".

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Tecmo Bowl is on there. Instant buy for me. :)

Oh god missed that the first read. Hell yes. My body is ready for this. Time to get my mates together and go screaming into the night with beer-fuelled Tecmo tournaments until 3am.

• Like 2

I'm curious which of these games are currently available for Nintendo's "Virtual Console" and how much they would cost if you bought them all?

They've all been available in North America, but some of them haven't appeared across all three Virtual Console platforms as of yet. Bubble Bobble for instance can only be had on the Wii Virtual Console and isn't available off the Wii U's eShop or the 3DS Virtual Console.

NES prices are generally $5 a download across all three platforms, although they up that sometimes to $6 such as if it's a import. I believe that the sole exception was NES Earthbound when it finally was released in North America on the Wii U Virtual Console, with it carrying a price tag of $7.

So in essence you're getting $150 of Virtual Console content here.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

There is discussion of this console being available in "North America". Is that a euphemism for "United States", or will this be available at retail in Canada too?

I've found traditionally North America refers to Canada too. At $60 in freedom-dollars I assume it'll come in at a price point of $80 here in the frozen North.

• Like 2

I've found traditionally North America refers to Canada too. At $60 in freedom-dollars I assume it'll come in at a price point of $80 here in the frozen North.

I suspect that unlike something from AtGames, where we have a list price of $60 US and it actually retails for $40 (or less, depending upon sales), this will really be $60 at retail, with the occasional special or minor discount. Still a great deal in my opinion even at the straight up $60 price.

• Like 3

I suspect that unlike something from AtGames, where we have a list price of $60 US and it actually retails for $40 (or less, depending upon sales), this will really be $60 at retail, with the occasional special or minor discount. Still a great deal in my opinion even at the straight up $60 price.

I noticed it was noted at $60 US, so conversion will have to be factored in for Canucks. It's like all new-release games that are $60 in the States but $80 out here. Still, even at $80 it's worth it for me.

Oh god missed that the first read. Hell yes. My body is ready for this. Time to get my mates together and go screaming into the night with beer-fuelled Tecmo tournaments until 3am.

Oh yes, I was 21 or 22, had family and friends over almost every Saturday night with six packs of nasty Old Style beer (only thing we could afford). Stayed up playing till at least 3am or until most people past out or got tired or lost their voice. Its a tradition around the world. Those were great times! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Wow, didn’t see this coming. It looks like a pretty cool product, even if the usual “Flashback caveats” apply, i.e., good for impulse buy and quick nostalgia fix, maybe more ideal for casual dabblers than it is for retro gaming aficionados, etc.

I’ve no love for Nintendo, but I must admit it’s a bit refreshing to see a product like this come to market that is fully backed and marketed by the original company.

It’s impossible to please everybody with a 30-game selection from such a large library, but I think that list is very solid and well thought out. .

I wonder what would be involved with hacking those controllers to work in other setups—USB for PC and original NES hardware, namely. Original controllers are not hard to come by for the time being, but they’re not getting any younger, so it would be nice to have an influx of new, quality controller hardware out there.

• Like 1

But I also expect that this will not have the audio emulation issues that plague the various Flashbacks so I'm willing to pay more.

I just found this on my fb stream...AWESOME!

Quick glance, it's a fantastic selection of games. I do wish they included original Contra vs the good but not great Super C...other than that, however, this thing is incredible. Auto purchase! Well...that is, unless they really cheap out on components. But this is Nintendo...I think they'll do us right in that regard.

Ya but no cart slot or sd slot make this garbage.

lol Nintendo will never release a cart based system because the only people who still have NES carts are the small amount of old video game fanatics like us. :lol: Let's just face the facts ok :P

<editied as the way I phrased it earlier could have been misconstrued as an insult, which it wasn't :P>

Edited by NE146

I'm not sure if I need the mini system in and of itself (though, for Chistmas, maybe, since I got a NES for real when I was 5), but I definitely want at least the controller. My Ouya emulators use Wiimotes and that should work with them. The only controller I'm really nostalgic about is the NES one, so it'll be nice using it with NES roms on the Ouya. So either way, they'll get a few bucks out of me at least. I wish I could say I could find a use for this system, but between multiple emulation set ups and my original hardware, I really can't think of any instance it'd come in handy.

I know my sister wants one bad, she sent me the message from Facebook showing the announcement. I set her up an Ouya with a billion games, but she never uses it. Goes to show how simple the ultra casuals want it.

A fairly reputable Canadian site says $79.99 in Canada. http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/07/14/nintendo-reveals-retro-miniature-nes-with-30-built-in-games/

• Like 2