IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I will definitely be buying one, their game list, almost flawless, but wish they had other Nintendo arcade classics like Donkey Kong 3 and Popeye (King Features Syndicate), then Kung Fu and 10 Yard Fight both by Irem, also optional composite output would have been good so it could include a light gun with its games Duck Hunt, Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley for use on older glass screen televisions.

:cool:

PS-Is there any way to convert HDMI into RCA jacks?

Edited by TrekkiELO

Many consider the Virtual Console emulation to be adequate. Reinventing the wheel to make this new device would not just be silly, but economically impractical.

On the one hand, I kind like the idea of this new NES but, on the other hand, just creating a new device at all seems like reinventing the wheel. I mean, while Sony and Microsoft are upgrading their consoles Nintendo is launching a Flashback like device for Christmas. That seems like something they would do after they are out of the console market just like the other Flashbacks. They don't need to reinvent the wheel because they already have a wheel to play these games on which this Christmas may be the last one this wheel is relevant. That wheel is the Wii U.

Instead of this I would much rather see them release an NES themed Wii U for Christmas. Then instead of just having these games free on the Virtual Console have every first party title from the NES to the Game Cube and from the Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance. Imagine how much better the Wii U would sell this Christmas if instead of this they announced an NES themed Wii U and that on Christmas day they are launching as a gift to all Nintendo fans all of these first party titles for free on the Virtual Console.

I wouldn't be surprised if all the Wii U's they have left sold out or at least a significant amount because who wouldn't pay $300 for all of those first party titles? Then when third party developers saw the Wii U go out with a bang like that then imagine what they would think if when the NX is revealed it is announced that it will come with the same first party titles but they extend them up to the Wii and 3DS first party titles.

In short, if your current home console is doing worse than any of your past consoles then why launch a Flashback console when your current console could be used for that purpose while also being a Flashback to many of your consoles instead of just one? Turning the Wii U into an all-in-one Nintendo first party Flashback with the option of also purchasing third party titles for the same consoles it is flashing back to would be the ultimate Flashback. I mean, if Nintendo is in last place in this current console war and their main weapon is their first party titles then they should go all in with over 30 years worth of them. That is a trick neither Sony or Microsoft could do.

Play the system that started it all??

Not sure what it started..

Why, it started the entire home video game industry! There were no video games before the NES. None at all. And even if there were, they all sucked. They're only worth thinking about because they made the mistakes that made the NES possible.

(Or so I keep hearing ...)

:ponder:

• Like 4

On the one hand, I kind like the idea of this new NES but, on the other hand, just creating a new device at all seems like reinventing the wheel. I mean, while Sony and Microsoft are upgrading their consoles Nintendo is launching a Flashback like device for Christmas. That seems like something they would do after they are out of the console market just like the other Flashbacks. They don't need to reinvent the wheel because they already have a wheel to play these games on which this Christmas may be the last one this wheel is relevant. That wheel is the Wii U.

I think you are missing the target here.

What you describe would be good for people that want a Wii U and would like to have a supply of retro games, or people that would liek to reveive some old memories but thing that 6$ for SMB is too expensive.

Here, this product is geared toward people that doesn't own a Wii U, either because they aren't interested or because they thing their kids are too young to handle one (expecially with the Mablette), and the Nintendo fans that will collect stuff.

And this is where it's a clever solution. The NES Mini is exactly the right price and simplicity for people to buy one for their 6 years old. The selection of games and the additionnal pad mean that it will please the retrogamers that arrived late on the party and would need those 60$ only to buy a loose yellowed NES.

This isn't a "new console" it's a collectible item, in the same vein than the Amiibos.

• Like 1

I think that this system sounds awesome! While I love collecting physical cartridges, a lot of the games included on this new NES are quite pricey in cartridge form so this looks like a very nice way to get quite a few of the best NES games is one affordable package! I love other systems of this kind such as the Atari Flashback consoles but one officially by Nintendo and not just licensed by another company is probably going to be of a much higher quality! I for one can't wait and I think that I will be picking one up! Well done Nintendo! :D

Nicely said Byron. I can't wait to purchase it. Well done by Nintendo for allowing this to happen for us to enjoy! :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

slowly starting to get back to my nintendo roots as this is the company that first got me into gaming this looks like it could be the best of these sort of mini consoles even better than the flasback units likely locked down pretty good this being a nintendo product and a bit pricey but obviously worth it and will sell well

Let's all just be honest here. You're buying it because it looks like a toaster and it might be collectable.

No, I'll buy one If/because I like it .... "collectible" I don't really care.

Aside RPi (which ends up around the same price point anyway) it would be the cheapest way to play those NES games via HDMI .... with what appears to be a decent pad (we'll see if that is true) and likely a no hassle setup (that is it all just works).

I think that this is a great plug n' play for casual fans. Its cheap, the game selection is excellent and HDMI is a big plus. That said, the inability to use real controllers/accessories and the lack of cart port or SD slot is a deal breaker for me. I plan on picking up an AVS from retroUSB as soon as they're available.

I think that this is a great plug n' play for casual fans. Its cheap, the game selection is excellent and HDMI is a big plus. That said, the inability to use real controllers/accessories and the lack of cart port or SD slot is a deal breaker for me. I plan on picking up an AVS from retroUSB as soon as they're available.

It's not meant for you, maybe a few years down the road when you'll start downsizing your collection a little units like this would do.

It really depends on which phase you are. For example I am getting my 2600 fix via small plug and play (not Flashback) even if I have a 7800 ... I can see me letting go completely of the 2600 (in any form) in short time ..... this may be doing the same for the my NES .... I don't really need to own the complete romset when likely I will play only a handful anyway .... not say they got the perfect 30 (I do like my Castlevania III) but it's definitely something worth considering.

• Like 2

The fact that the Mini-NES controllers aren't compatible with the NES (or vice-versa) doesn't particularly bother me. I can see why Nintendo did it this way: if the controllers are also compatible with the Wii U, Nintendo can market them to Wii U owners as well as to owners of the Mini-NES who want extras. If the controllers had been backward-compatible with the NES instead, they wouldn't have had that opportunity. They'd probably also have to field calls from people trying to make their crusty old broken NES controllers work with the Mini-NES.

• Like 2

I think a lot of people are really missing the point. It seems like whenever a new product is announced some people go out of their way to pick it apart. Instead of evaluating the product for what it is, we go through lists of what we would personally want it to be. Comments like "why Super Contra, and not Contra" are not fair. Of course they would have included the original Contra if Konami let them. They would have included Castlevania 3 as well, but we all know that it is harder to emulate. Somebody earlier said "this is why we can't have nice things," and that is so true.

Nintendo has to be cautious and release what they think will be commercially viable, not what will satisfy a relatively small niche group. An SD card slot for roms just isn't going to happen, and why would we expect it to? It makes it easier for hackers and pirates, and Nintendo is rightfully trying to avoid that. Just look at what happened with the Wii and how it was plagued by piracy.

If this sells well, and I'm confident it will, it opens things up for new products that may offer new eperiences for retro gamers. Maybe we get a version two with more features. Maybe we get Snes and N64 consoles. Maybe 3rd party developers allow more of their games. Maybe companies like AT Games can gamble on more robust plug and plays at $60.

Lets not dwell on what it isn't, but instead on what it is and the future potential. It could be the "gateway drug" for younger gamers to explore the classics, including the pre crash stuff we love. Supporting this at $60 tells Nintendo this is the direction consumers want them to go in. I think for a first effort, this is fantastic!

Edited by Noah98
  • Like 5

Literally every question you've asked in this thread could be answered by reading the press release.

Everyone should just give up on issuing written press releases. Nobody reads anything anymore. Just get some obnoxious dude with long stringy hair to make a profanity-laced YouTube video instead.

• Like 2

It's not meant for you, maybe a few years down the road when you'll start downsizing your collection a little unit like this would do.

It really depends on which phase you are. For example I am getting my 2600 fix via small plug and play (not Flashback) even if I have a 7800 ... I can see me letting go completely of the 2600 (in any form) in short time ..... this may be doing the same for the my NES .... I don't really need to own the complete romset when likely I will play only a handful anyway .... not say they got the perfect 30 (I do like my Castlevania III) but it's definitely something worth considering.

I agree with you, its not for me. Like I said, this is a great option for casual fans. In fact, I know two people that I'll probably get this for. Its not for collectors or people with an interest in having the ability to go deeper into the library via an SD card or multicart. Personally, I have a strong preference for real hardware, accessories and software. Even with the 2600, I passed on the FB units in favor of a modded console and Harmony cart. I've limited the physical collection to the games I had as a kid plus a few homebrews. For the NES, I already have a small handful of carts and accessories that I want to hang onto. The AVS and the PowerPak or Everdrive will let me fill in the gaps without taking up much more space. Its all about how you want to experience the games.

I think a lot of people are really missing the point. It seems like whenever a new product is announced some people go out of their way to pick it apart. Instead of evaluating the product for what it is, we go through lists of what we would personally want it to be. Comments like "why Super Contra, and not Contra" are not fair. Of course they would have included the original Contra if Konami let them. They would have included Castlevania 3 as well, but we all know that it is harder to emulate. Somebody earlier said "this is why we can't have nice things," and that is so true.

I know. Given the fact I've bought stupid shit like Nintendo Power mints in an NES controller tin for $6 and people pay more for stupid plushies and shit gives you the real value of this item to the nick-nack crowd, even. But for some reason, gamers seem to get really entitled and pissy when something is not market directly at them. My sister texted me saying she wants one. My buddy's old lady immediately asked him "we're getting this, right?" though he is in the same boat as me and doesn't NEED it. Casual people really want this item and I dunno why there's so one iota of backlash. It'd be different if it was a joke rip off, but we're talking $2 a game here, HDMI out, a Wii compatible controller, a great retro box and a neat little unit. If the product isn't for you, I have no problem with that, but this is going to make hundreds of thousands of people very happy. What's wrong with that?

• Like 4

I agree with you, its not for me. Like I said, this is a great option for casual fans. In fact, I know two people that I'll probably get this for. Its not for collectors or people with an interest in having the ability to go deeper into the library via an SD card or multicart. Personally, I have a strong preference for real hardware, accessories and software. Even with the 2600, I passed on the FB units in favor of a modded console and Harmony cart. I've limited the physical collection to the games I had as a kid plus a few homebrews. For the NES, I already have a small handful of carts and accessories that I want to hang onto. The AVS and the PowerPak or Everdrive will let me fill in the gaps without taking up much more space. Its all about how you want to experience the games.

....but but but .... this is the only legit and legal way today to make sure your money go to the companies that own the rights to those games.

I'm sure the big N would pay something back to Konami, Square, Bandai Namco, Taito etc.... and afaik for old games on the NES this is the only way where money goes where it is supposed to be.

EDIT: outside of VC purchases etc... I mean that at 2$ a game for this thing we're getting closer to where old games should be.

If anyone can pull that off is Nintendo given they have their own catalog to offer, other publishers may just see big N putting its skin in the game and join.

AtGames, Jakks, Radica proved there's some market to it, AtGames with its yearly re-releases definitely proved there's continued interest, getting publishing rights is nightmarish but the big N may actually be able to sway the pendulum in a direction that is good for retrogamers (casual as it may be).

We NEED to see this thing in action and feel it to judge if it is on the mark or a complete left fielder.

• Like 2

If someone really wants an affordable hdmi nes with full rom support, a raspberry pi is an easy and cheap solution. You can even make a custom enclosure for it. I made a few just for fun last year when I was experimenting with the raspberry pi. I sold all of them off, and the demand far exceeded the amount of time I had! I attached an example of one.

post-36283-0-71329300-1468685444_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Noah98
  • Like 1

If someone really wants an affordable hdmi nes with full rom support, a raspberry pi is an easy and cheap solution. You can even make a custom enclosure for it. I made a few just for fun last year when I was experimenting with the raspberry pi. I sold all of them off, and the demand far exceeded the amount of time I had! I attached an example of one.

And obviously the money for this go to big N and the game copyright owners how?