IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Strictly speaking, the "second party" in the sale of a video game is the consumer.

I'm so glad to see a fellow fluent English speaker calling out this stupid "special usage."

These details confuse me. I just think of first party and third party titles in the context they were originally used like the games Atari published to the 2600 were first party("official") and everyone else that started publishing games for it were third party("unofficial"). I think in those terms with other consoles. Then I view all the licensing, who holds what copyrights, etc. as just other details on top of that but doesn't change rather a game is first or third party. In other words, I would consider all NES games that are made in Nintendo's own cartridge shells with their seal of quality on them as first party games.

Username checks out

No, but seriously ... it might not matter to you, but it's definitely important to the business. I agree that it is helpful to separate the licensing for intellectual property (like movie characters) and being allowed to publish on the platform. Like Gentlegamer said, Nintendo changed things.

The Atari VCS had plenty of games programmed and packaged by Atari Corp that where licenses from other companies, like Space Invaders from Taito or Pac-Man from Namco. The third-party "unauthorized" but compatible games like Activision or Parker Brothers had their own IP licenses but never got the blessing of the platform. Since platform holder Atari had no way to stop unauthorized clones of its hardware or stop shovelware from appearing, some say this contributed to the game market crash.

Nintendo NES had their monopoly on cartridge manufacturing and their "seal of approval," but only a small selection of their games were actually made by Nintendo themselves. Tengen (Atari again!) was in breach of the licensing agreement when they made their own cartridges without a license to work on the console.

I wish the law could be changed ... until then, this is why "illegal" collections of ROMs are always more fun than officially licensed collections of games.

• Like 2

Nice to know that Nintendo finally agrees with me.

The flashing background in SMB3 "scepter get" event was hardly bad by any stretch of the imagination.

It might be totally closed by the time its released, but tha sure won't stop many hackers and hobbyists from attempting to add an SD-card port somewhere...

:grin: ;-) :grin: :grin: ;-) :grin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;-)

If they use glop tops, or a custom ASIC with the data embedded together with the CPU, or flash chip with encrypted memory (most likely), you have a snowman's chance in hell of injecting fresh games into the system. It's not like Nintendo's simply gonna go out of their way to make it easy for hackers by putting the OS on an SD card in a convenient little slot inside the console.

I could definitely see someone like Ben Heck swapping out the guts with a Raspberry Pi or something to make a full featured emulation box that utilizes classic controllers. People have done this time and again with the Atari Flashbacks...

• Like 2

Elorg never touched any code/programming for any console.

Elektronorgtechnica was just the Soviet-made body in charge of handling the rights to the Tetris concept outside of the Comecon, when it became clear that it was goign to be a big thing.

Previously, the game was just distribued freely all across the Soviet Union and the Comecon, and the first Western publisher was the English Andromeda, licencing from an Hungarian programmer that had programmed a ZX Spectrum version of Tetris. And this is the start of much confusion about the rights for the game, as other companies approached Andromeda to obtain the licence, or the Hungarian publisher.

But as far as we're concerned, Elorg never programmed anything, they just sold the rights to anyone wanting them. The only game that came with only Pajinov's name and Elorg name was the PC release (I do'nt think Pajinov's original Elektronika-60 version was sold internationally).

Tet312-Title.gif

http://vadim.oversigma.com/Tetris.htm

So, yes, while Nintendo had to program the NES and GB versions themselves, it doesn't make them the Tetris licence owners, and certainly not a first-party title. Maybe a 2nd party title? (what is a 2nd party title? :D )

The GB Tetris and GBC Tetris DX said ELORG on them. Also Tengen licensed the game from the Hungarian guy IIRC, and of course the famous court battle and fallout from Tengen Vs Nintendo will go down in history as one of the most epic video game debates of all time. And we even got a fantastic superior version of the game with multiplayer Coop modes! :grin:

If only I had friends to play it with... My best friend when he rarely comes over sucks royally at Tetris but he can kick my ass at TMNT. We tried coop once; did not even make it past the first level... :P

Already sold out, again.

TRU seems to be doing staggered presales, offering very small amount of stock each time, but opening preorders repeatedly. The opened briefly for like 40 minutes or so last week.

Thanks. I now have both Amazon and Best Buy on auto-notify. Now we only gotta hope and pray I'm online when the stock drops. I plan on getting one for myself and one as a Christmas gift to my Uncle who once told me he had fond memories of playing Zelda BITD.

I just had a big "duh" moment.. I just realized I wouldn't even be able to play this on my office desk sdtv (which is where I was planning on playing it)... since this thing is hdmi only! doh! :lol:

xbox.jpg

Meh, 5200/8bit >NES any day. If they came out with a 8bit/5200 compatible classic mini, well then I'd lose $50 or whatever it would cost.

I just had a big "duh" moment.. I just realized I wouldn't even be able to play this on my office desk sdtv (which is where I was planning on playing it)... since this thing is hdmi only! doh! :lol:

xbox.jpg

Do I spy a 7800 PMP Jr Pacman on that monitor? :grin:

If it's your office, surely you have a computer monitor in there, too?

I'm planning on bringing mine to my workplace. :-)

Prolly gotta use that monitor for actual work. Plus you'll get a very distorted picture on those old 1280x1024 displays, although in some cases the device reverts to 480p if the monitor does not explicitly support widescreen formats. Some older monitors will display anything you throw at them, even if not listed as a supported resolution.