IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Famicom Mini announced.

original.jpg

Two controllers to our one hardly seems fair. Slightly different game lineup, as well (I see about 5 different games here). And there's some footage of this in action later in the trailer as well, showing the menus, save states, screen filters, etc.

First footage that we know of that's definitively from these units, I believe.

Whaaaaa!!!!! :-o Awesome! :cool:

• Like 1

List of games :

Donkey Kong
Mario Bros.
Pac-Man
Excitebike
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
Galaga
Yie Ar Kung Fu
Super Mario Bros.
Zelda no Densetsu – The Hyrule Fantasy (a.k.a. The Legend of Zelda)
Atlantis No Nazo
Gradius
Makimura (a.k.a. Ghosts ‘N Goblins)
Solomon no Kagi (a.k.a. Solomon’s Key)
Metroid
Akumajou Dracula (a.k.a. Castlevania)
Legend of Zelda 2 – Link no Bouken (a.k.a. Zelda II – The Adventure of Link)
Tsuppari Oozumou
Super Mario Bros. 3
Ninja Ryukenden (a.k.a. Ninja Gaiden)
Rockman 2 – Dr. Wily no Nazo (a.k.a. Mega Man 2)
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (a.k.a. River City Ransom)
Double Dragon II – The Revenge
Super Contra (a.k.a. Super C)
Final Fantasy III
Dr. Mario
Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku - Soreyuke Daiundoukai
Mario Open Golf (a.k.a. NES Open Tournament Golf)
Super Mario USA (a.k.a. Super Mario Bros. 2)
Hoshi no Kirby: Yume no Izumi no Monogatari (a.k.a. Kirby's Adventure)
Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 1

List of games :

Donkey Kong
Mario Bros.
Pac-Man
Excitebike
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
Galaga
Yie Ar Kung Fu
Super Mario Bros.
Zelda no Densetsu – The Hyrule Fantasy (a.k.a. The Legend of Zelda)
Atlantis No Nazo
Gradius
Makimura (a.k.a. Ghosts ‘N Goblins)
Solomon no Kagi (a.k.a. Solomon’s Key)
Metroid
Akumajou Dracula (a.k.a. Castlevania)
Legend of Zelda 2 – Link no Bouken (a.k.a. Zelda II – The Adventure of Link)
Tsuppari Oozumou
Super Mario Bros. 3
Ninja Ryukenden (a.k.a. Ninja Gaiden)
Rockman 2 – Dr. Wily no Nazo (a.k.a. Mega Man 2)
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (a.k.a. River City Ransom)
Double Dragon II – The Revenge
Super Contra (a.k.a. Super C)
Final Fantasy III
Dr. Mario
Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku - Soreyuke Daiundoukai
Mario Open Golf (a.k.a. NES Open Tournament Golf)
Super Mario USA (a.k.a. Super Mario Bros. 2)
Hoshi no Kirby: Yume no Izumi no Monogatari (a.k.a. Kirby's Adventure)

Because I'm lazy, which of those included games are exclusive to the Famicom edition? Definitely a few titles I don't recognize. Also is it me or are those controllers much tinier than the originals? :P

EDIT: quote from the NintendoAge thread:

So the different games are as follows. I think the USA got the better lineup.

USA

Bubble Bobble

Castlevania 2

Donkey Kong Jr

Final Fantasy

Kid Icarus

Punch Out

Startropics

Tecmo Bowl

Japan

Atlantis no Nazo

Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku: Soreyuke Daiundoukai

Final Fantasy 3

NES Open Golf

River City Ransom

Solomon's Key

Tsuppari Oozumou

Yie Ar Kung Fu

• Like 1

Two controllers to our one hardly seems fair.

The Famicom controllers are hardwired and part of the console. It wouldn't make sense having just one. Besides, they probably think it hardly seems fair that our controllers can be unplugged, can be used for the Virtual Console, and are normal sized instead of looking like they are designed for midgets. So, it balances out.

• Like 2

Another trailer.

The Famicom controllers are hardwired and part of the console. It wouldn't make sense having just one. Besides, they probably think it hardly seems fair that our controllers can be unplugged, can be used for the Virtual Console, and are normal sized instead of looking like they are designed for midgets. So, it balances out.

Good catch, I didn't notice that they were hardwired like the originals. But at 4:29 in that trailer, it's clearly shown.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Good catch, I didn't notice that they were hardwired like the originals. But at 4:29 in that trailer, it's clearly shown.

I didn't really catch and notice it either. I just had a default assumption that they would be hardwired like the originals because controller 1 having select and start while controller 2 having the mic with both working together as a set that are labelled for each player, both having a slot for storing, and both being hardwired are part of the original console are all things that would make the alternative of including only one non-hardwired half of a set controller something that wouldn't make sense to me.

Are the famicom controllers really smaller? I am asking myself this. What is going on there?

Hold out your hand in front of you, imagine that Famicom Mini sitting in your palm, and then think about how there are also two controllers there but the console is still taking up the vast majority of the space. That isn't just tiny. That is micro.

• Like 1

I mentioned copyright law once to one of the jokers selling these and he gave me a scripted speech about how copyrights on all these old games had already expired (20 year term limit which is factually inaccurate). It was clear he was reciting this info from memory and all dealers had been trained to handle such inquiries.

He was wrong... it's 30 years maximum.

The current Copyright Act is unconstitutional and illegal.

Everything from about 1986 and before should be in the public domain.

FC Mini is really cute, but the big selling point to me for the Mini was that the controller had the same look and feel of the original. Having tiny controllers is an absolute show-stopper. Also, and this is personal preference, I think they got the short end of the stick when it comes to the game list.

Also also, what's with them getting SMB USA, but not SMB2j?

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 1

Haven't checked this thread in weeks. I'm still really looking forward to this system, it's cool to see the Famicom too. Personally I am still hoping for a SNES Mini at some point! No pre-orders on the Mini for me though, they seem to be non-existent in Canada. I'll just have to wait for release, and then wait to get my hands on one. I was planning on giving one as a Christmas gift, we'll see if that actually happens.

• Like 1

Here is the latest press release from Nintendo, just this morning. This keeps sounding better and better.

<link to Mike Kennedy site snipped>

How nice of you to use their press material to drive traffic to your e-commerce site! Too bad we can't leave comments for you.

Here's a 1980's style trailer for the NES Classic Mini from Nintendo's own YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/62bI0zItF6g

• Like 1

Some of the games left out on both systems makes sense, others are real head scratchers.

On the US side, I can understand us not getting most of those games, but I would have loved to have seen River City Ransom included. That's a cult favorite. Solomon's Key and Ye Air Kung Fu are nice games but easily available.

The REAL game I'm going to regret not having is Final Fantasy 3. We've NEVER got a 'proper' official release of this game in the West. By the time it came out for the DS and now on Steam the game had been 'upgraded' so that it's quite different then the original Famicom version.

On the Japanese side, Startropics and Tecmo Bowl were only available in the US, so those makes sense....but no Kid Icraus or Donkey Kong Junior? REALLY?

Here is the latest press release from Nintendo, just this morning. This keeps sounding better and better.

http://shopreadretro.com/blogs/read-retro/nintendo-nes-classic-new-details-and-information

Welcom back, friend. :)

How's the Retrobit PNP going?

How nice of you to use their press material to drive traffic to your e-commerce site! Too bad we can't leave comments for you.

Here's a 1980's style trailer for the NES Classic Mini from Nintendo's own YouTube channel.

Sometimes people deserve second chances. Let him have a fresh start already. :roll:

He was wrong... it's 30 years maximum.

The current Copyright Act is unconstitutional and illegal.

Everything from about 1986 and before should be in the public domain.

Not sure where you're getting 30 from. Patents are 20 years from date of application or 17 years from approval (whichever is longer) but copyrights last far longer. IIRC it was 90 for a corporation, or author's death plus 70 years for private works. However due to Disney lobbying congress to prevent Steamboat Mickey from going PD, we now have infinite renewal options for corporate owned IP... :roll:

• Like 2