IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Do you think these were serious bids, or that someone just drove the bids up to be a jerk?

I can't believe anyone would actually pay $1500 for one!

I mean, c'mon, they're kind of a neat little thing, but I think even the MSRP of $60 US is a bit steep...

I have no idea, though apparently a lot of them have been selling in the $200 range, which is still ridiculous.

So many posts of people who are needlessly upset about this whole situation. From the people who wanted one who couldn't get it, to those who truly weren't going to get one in the first place anyway (and you know who you are), I'm glad there's at least one or two posts from people with fun stories of how they got theirs. Where I'm from, the thing is totally sold out. I wouldn't be surprised to see the extra controllers being more collectible than these, but only for a limited time...our TRU is getting another shipment in the next two weeks.

I got up early and claimed one of the 14 from our Walmart. It was a fun outing. I'm not sure why people who are on a niche hobby website would think camping out for a video game system is 'insane'...that to me is insane :D Of course people are gonna camp out! I talked to a great bunch of people in the line up, and because nobody could get more than one unit, most of these people aren't looking to resell.

That said, you would think amazon and ebay would do something about this blatant scalping. I know, I know....they can't. But really, it's just quite stupid. All it does is condone people to treat this like a business opportunity, which detracts from the whole point.

I still think this little gem of retroware will be the 'it' toy this Christmas, I can't imagine it sticking around for much longer than a year. I even heard from a store manager than official cordless joysticks are on the way...which would be kinda cool, but really, for the few games that are on this thing and the price they'll charge, I don't think I'll go for it. That would explain the short cords though. Who knows.

Congrats to everyone who is a real fan who got one! And if you bought one for the resell, hey, Merry Christmas to you too. If you bought MORE than one to resell, I question your ethics but obviously you need the extra money more than I do :)

And those who are complaining for the sake of complaining, shut up already :D

• Like 2

I emailed the guy and asked him about the price, told him it should come with the controllers and be gold plated. He responded "Supply and demand!"

• Like 1

That said, you would think amazon and ebay would do something about this blatant scalping. I know, I know....they can't. But really, it's just quite stupid. All it does is condone people to treat this like a business opportunity, which detracts from the whole point.

Well, from the perspective of any of the retailers, selling to a scalper is the same as selling to Little Johnny with the bum leg... their margin is the same. I'm sure at least the larger retailers are thankful to have product move so quickly... A barren shelf means money made.

Part of me does wonder what would happen if retailers broke the taboo against pricing items above MSRP.

I dunno why people blame the resellers, blame Nintendo. I was up all night or I'd have headed to Wal-Mart at opening (assuming there wasn't a line) and I was gonna buy 'em all and re-sell 'em if I could just to fuck with any nerds in line. I'm tired of this same crap with an item. I know fucking with people and creating a fake demand is their forte, but this type of shit isn't fun for me and that's all video games are to me - fun. You can't get shit because there's always a shortage and you're waiting and waiting and thus getting less use out of your product in having to wait longer to get it. And in this game, it's a plug n' play that people aren't even gonna get to play when they buy it unless they have an 8 foot HDMI cord laying around or they buy one because of its impractical design. So I'm on the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" asshole wagon with this product. With a console or whatever, ok I get the hype long term, but for a product like this that's gonna be tossed aside in 3 days? Fuck, just put a bunch out there for people or at least let people put in a pre-order so they can get it when they get it in order and move on.

I really just want it to see if the controller works with the Ouya since the Classic Controller does and that'd be great for emulation.

• Like 1

I was thinking of getting one of the minis. But I have all the 30 carts of the built in games and on emulation by modded xbox and wii there is no purpose for me owning one. I may buy one when available in stock and do a raffle on my facebook for one of my friends. Just something to give back for the holidays. $60 is a fair price as it's two dollars per game. Like that some of the third party Konami and Capcom games are included.

• Like 1

Help this guy & his wife pay off their student loans by $20,000 and he'll give you his NES Classic Mini as a reward.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282252541167

If you think that is too little, here is one that seems to be fed up with the situation and sells you a unit for $50,000 whenever he finds it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142176931808

Well, it is turning into a parody. I wonder if Nintendo cares.

• Like 1

I dunno why people blame the resellers, blame Nintendo.

I agree. This 'shortage' is very much by design on Nintendo's part: they deliberately bring out only a limited number on the release date, just to cause this sort of hype.

I considered going to my local store to buy one this morning, but I'm watching over a sick dog. The dog is a much higher priority than any game system.

Hey Nintendo, I'm willing to buy one, and even pay $70 for the system with an extra controller - but only if you make it easy for me. If you want my money, get more of these into stores.

• Like 3

I dunno why people blame the resellers, blame Nintendo. I was up all night or I'd have headed to Wal-Mart at opening (assuming there wasn't a line) and I was gonna buy 'em all and re-sell 'em if I could just to fuck with any nerds in line. I'm tired of this same crap with an item. I know fucking with people and creating a fake demand is their forte, but this type of shit isn't fun for me and that's all video games are to me - fun. You can't get shit because there's always a shortage and you're waiting and waiting and thus getting less use out of your product in having to wait longer to get it. And in this game, it's a plug n' play that people aren't even gonna get to play when they buy it unless they have an 8 foot HDMI cord laying around or they buy one because of its impractical design. So I'm on the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" asshole wagon with this product. With a console or whatever, ok I get the hype long term, but for a product like this that's gonna be tossed aside in 3 days? Fuck, just put a bunch out there for people or at least let people put in a pre-order so they can get it when they get it in order and move on.

I really just want it to see if the controller works with the Ouya since the Classic Controller does and that'd be great for emulation.

I think you nailed it: most people wouldn't have given much of a shit, and the 'real fans' would be able to get them for the holidays. But the buzz on this is all over; I just saw it on 'real' tv the other day (AND the Genesis announcement, if you can believe that)...so that lets all the scalpers out there know that this is the thing to get.

Only...there's going to be some select stores getting MORE after today. So you can't blame Nintendo either. It's just one of those things. You can understand they didn't want to overproduce these, as there hasn't been much of a precedent for systems like this. I mean, the Flashback 2.0 ten years ago was easy as shit to get. This thing...not so much.

Now...when's the SNES version coming out? :D

• Like 2