IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I have to interject something here: You guys are talking about Nintendo's willingness to produce more (or less) NES Minis like it's totally under Nintendo's control from beginning to end. That is not necessarily the case. If you're a quality-driven company like Nintendo and your brand new product is not up to standards during its prototype development, you don't send it into production until these issues are fixed, or unless you prove that the problems encountered with the prototype units are not fixable, or until you're sure that you've reduced the problems as much as possible. That takes time, and several prototype iterations.

Also, setting up assembly lines that can produce millions of units in time for the Holiday season is no simple matter, and it depends on a lot of factors coming together, starting with the prototype being ready to go into production. I've professionally worked in projects where the product in development clearly wasn't ready by the time the deadline arrived, and it forced the company to come up with a "plan B".

The way the NES Minis are trickling out of Nintendo's production facilities, and with the minor problems seen with the units (sound not quite right, minor input lag, etc.) I wouldn't automatically point fingers at Nintendo's intentions, they may be dealing with more down-to-Earth production problems.

Just my 0.02$.

• Like 3

I have to interject something here: You guys are talking about Nintendo's willingness to produce more (or less) NES Minis like it's totally under Nintendo's control from beginning to end. That is not necessarily the case. If you're a quality-driven company like Nintendo and your brand new product is not up to standards during its prototype development, you don't send it into production until these issues are fixed, or unless you prove that the problems encountered with the prototype units are not fixable, or until you're sure that you've reduced the problems as much as possible. That takes time, and several prototype iterations.

Also, setting up assembly lines that can produce millions of units in time for the Holiday season is no simple matter, and it depends on a lot of factors coming together, starting with the prototype being ready to go into production. I've professionally worked in projects where the product in development clearly wasn't ready by the time the deadline arrived, and it forced the company to come up with a "plan B".

The way the NES Minis are trickling out of Nintendo's production facilities, and with the minor problems seen with the units (sound not quite right, minor input lag, etc.) I wouldn't automatically point fingers at Nintendo's intentions, they may be dealing with more down-to-Earth production problems.

Just my 0.02$.

Wait, we are not talking about a small company, but a major industry that has plenty of finances to push out a new product. The reason for the low stock is not due to releasing prototypes to test the waters, more like one of two factors:

1. Nintendo Marketing did not realize how popular an NES PlugNPlay would turn out. Decades old games that already been saturated in the market with so many import PlugNPlay units for many decades already.

or

2. Nintendo creating the shortage to increase sales. This if true has backfired to a point, resellers getting a portion of the profits and not Nintendo which could have sold more units. No doubt more will be produced or already staged at Nintendo distribution centers.

So many times there has been new product shortage creating the buying frenzy, it really does seem Corporations do this purposely. In this case, I am leaning towards Factor 1; Nintendo did not forecast how popular the NES Classic would be. People actually camped outside of stores to buy the product and not even on a Black Friday!

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 2

I get what you're saying.. but what happened to the sound in that "quality control" process?

Now way this sold for $5000 or buyer is a complete moron :???:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332048925165

Ohh sure it could've sold. Realize there are people that $5000 is but like spare change laying around. To people that pull in 40 or 50 grand a month this is nothing. It'd be like us commoners saving a year to buy a new console or something.

Or the seller could have "bought" it in order to register a real transaction on ebay. And doesn't mind gambling that having a posted sale will drive the costs up on real sales.

When I was first into ebay I'd do that with one-of-a-kind Apple II items. After a few cycles the price was driven up to where my profit exceed any accumulated fees from the fake sale.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2

They only allow x amount of a product to retailers regardless of the amount asked for. They control distribution. It creates demand for a product, many businesses do this not just Nintendo. It's pretty smart IMO.

Of course you could go the route Coleco took 30 years ago and manufacture a billion units and stick them in a warehouse. :ponder:

Or the seller could have "bought" it in order to register a real transaction on ebay. And doesn't mind gambling that having a posted sale will drive the costs up on real sales.

Ebay fees would take a high percentage of something like that, so I doubt it's the seller. I would not be surprised if the transaction was cancelled or never paid.

They only allow x amount of a product to retailers regardless of the amount asked for. They control distribution. It creates demand for a product, many businesses do this not just Nintendo. It's pretty smart IMO.

Of course you could go the route Coleco took 30 years ago and manufacture a billion units and stick them in a warehouse. :ponder:

Classic example of manipulating the law of supply and demand.

Ya gamestop had 1 this morning close to me. But it was gone as soon they got it. But they promised more stock throughout the holidays. So no hurry. And hopefully dell works on the 5th. Plus after the holidays the hype will go down and they will be in dumpsters.

Noooo, not in the dumpster. At least give it to Goodwill or trade it in somewhere... :sad:

From that article :

Data provided to Polygon from eBay showed that the PlayStation 4 was selling at a rate of one every 20 seconds during Black Friday, and the Xbox One was selling one a minute. The NES Classic Edition was selling much slower, at one every two minutes.

Those numbers look even worse when you remember that the bulk of PlayStation and Xbox sales will have been as-new through traditional stores or Amazon, while the NES Classic Edition is selling almost exclusively through eBay. Walmart, Best Buy and Target are mostly out of the Classic Edition, with stock only showing up periodically.

Getting your hands on an NES Classic Edition is almost impossible for the RRP right now. The same eBay data shows a regular selling point of around $200 on the grey market; compared to the $60 retail price, that’s a huge markup, and puts the Classic in the same league as the PS4 or Xbox One.

Obviously the PS4 and XBOX One have an advantage because people seem to have no problem finding them on the store shelves or online as the MSRP. There does not seem to be any huge complaint that these consoles are overpriced. But with the NES CE, not only is the supply very limited, but not everyone is willing to pay at least 3-4x the MSRP. $60 is not an terribly unfair price to ask for what you are getting, but it isn't worth $200 just for a nostalgia kick unless you are someone like Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. If supply was able to keep up with demand, the numbers may have been looking a lot more favorable to Nintendo.

Edited by Great Hierophant

I guess we will never know how well the NES mini could have performed against the other consoles during the Thanksgiving holiday had Nintendo not f'ed-up with such a small number that was released. No doubt in my mind that they lost out on a lot of money, and I am gonna go out on a limb by saying that the money people had allotted for this device was spent on something else.

Edited by thadsilverfox

Seems most mainstream press is trying to create the illusion this is happening..

post-4806-0-88846500-1480744793_thumb.jpg

But they're still trying to build hype. And they're encouraging the public to camp out read how-to-purchase guides and do other antics like pestering the stores everyday.

It's like that stupid pokemon shit. Making you pull your hair out in a flurry of activity. Making you chase all over town. Consuming you with stock trackers..

In my eyes, this console has come and gone.

Edited by Keatah

I guess we will never know how well the NES mini could have performed against the other consoles during the Thanksgiving holiday had Nintendo not f'ed-up with such a small number that was released. No doubt in my mind that they lost out on a lot of money, and I am gonna go out on a limb by saying that the money people had allotted for this device was spent on something else.

Yep. We were planning to buy the NES Classic. Once that was clearly a waste of time, on Monday the $60 went to a new SSD for my wife's laptop. She is already enjoying her upgraded computer and neither of us care that the NES Classic will not be in our home this Christmas.

I suppose I should thank Nintendo for screwing up the NES Classic launch so badly that they freed me to buy something much more useful and with lasting value.

• Like 1

From that article :

Obviously the PS4 and XBOX One have an advantage because people seem to have no problem finding them on the store shelves or online as the MSRP. There does not seem to be any huge complaint that these consoles are overpriced. But with the NES CE, not only is the supply very limited, but not everyone is willing to pay at least 3-4x the MSRP. $60 is not an terribly unfair price to ask for what you are getting, but it isn't worth $200 just for a nostalgia kick unless you are someone like Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. If supply was able to keep up with demand, the numbers may have been looking a lot more favorable to Nintendo.

And if everyone were willing to pay $200, the console would be selling on eBay for between $600-$1000. Supply and demand. Had Nintendo flooded the market with Minis on Black Friday, it would have outsold the PS4/Xbone by leaps and bounds.

I would like to see how the Wii-U stacks up to those figures though. :P

If a few weeks of being hard to find has cooled your impulse to buy this $60 toy, it seems to me it's not something you really needed anyway. How generous of Nintendo to give us a cooling-off period! :-D

That's how it's working for me, too. I have many ways to play NES games, and many of my favorites aren't on this unit.

Yep a ras pi and a bluetooth game controller

• Like 1

In my eyes, this console has come and gone.

I'm hearing this exact sentiment echoed in my circle of family and friends.

This article pretty much sums it up on the whole NES Classic fiasco.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/11/26/between-the-mini-nes-classic-edition-and-3ds-nintendo-is-blowing-their-holiday-hits/#37c47697d8ef

Edited by thadsilverfox
  • Like 2