IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Wii U was a great system. Super Mario 3D World remains my favorite game that I've played of this generation.

Lots of mistakes by Nintendo, but the AAA 1st party output was top notch and ultimately was what mattered. There's a reason why so many of the top games on the Wii U are succeeding in a big way when given a second chance on a system that the public finds more appealing.

Has also made not owning a Switch relatively easy so far. Owning a PS4 and a Wii U, there's actually relatively little I want on the Switch today that I don't already have access to elsewhere. Super Mario Odyssey, the Nintendo arcade games in the Arcade Archives line, and a handful of odds and ends like a couple of Sega Ages downloads and Strikers 1945 are pretty much it as of the writing of this post.

That will of course be changing shortly as Nintendo's AAA output increasingly focuses on fresh games like Luigi's Mansion 3 and Yoshi's Crafted World, but so far it's basically just been Super Mario Odyssey for me.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Wii U was a great system. Super Mario 3D World remains my favorite game that I've played of this generation.

Lots of mistakes by Nintendo, but the AAA 1st party output was top notch and ultimately was what mattered. There's a reason why so many of the top games on the Wii U are succeeding in a big way when given a second chance on a system that the public finds more appealing.

Agreed 100%. The Wii U was a good system and it's disappointing see it constantly getting piled on now that it's no longer current (I'm not referring specifically to this thread, but it's something I'm seeing frequently in other threads and forums).

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

Agreed 100%. The Wii U was a good system and it's disappointing see it constantly getting piled on now that it's no longer current (I'm not referring specifically to this thread, but it's something I'm seeing frequently in other threads and forums).

We've got a big buttload of Wii U games and really enjoy them.

• Like 1

Aside from the first party games on WiiU the system was mostly awful, not sure what this rose tinted snuggle fest is all about but that and that alone. Im thankful the games got a true new life on Switch, it needed it, badly, so people would be able to experience the games since buying a WiiU clearly wasnt going to happen for most. I had one, it was fine when it had support, but Nintendo sorry can not do it alone, and that very belief is a delusion that has hurt them for years now. Im glad Nintendo finally realized it was one and got more people on board with mostly good choices this time.

People can poopoo the Wii U all they want.. it's like people telling me the food that I like isn't good. You just say "aah k". :lol: I'm at the age that what matters to me is, I like it, and I definitely have always dug the Wii U. :)

Although, I'm a little leery about the controllers eventually going belly up and I only have one.

• Like 4

I have that concern to a lesser degree over virtual boy. I mean you can like what you want, I did like the thing, but sales figures and treatment by all parties involved kind of put the unmistakeable writing on the wall.

What do sales figures matter to a system that's already out of production? Either way, what we've got is what we've got.

• Like 2

Well if it sells terribly and lesser units are made, that makes for even fewer replacement parts. I just related the VB as it was their only other hardware console failure, and it like the WiiU have a unique controller that no one in their right mind is ever going to 3rd party after market reproduce so once they're gone that's basically it. So the figures do/did matter as it leaves less to farm through for replacements.

• Like 1

Well if it sells terribly and lesser units are made, that makes for even fewer replacement parts. I just related the VB as it was their only other hardware console failure, and it like the WiiU have a unique controller that no one in their right mind is ever going to 3rd party after market reproduce so once they're gone that's basically it. So the figures do/did matter as it leaves less to farm through for replacements.

This is why near the end of it's on shelf life I bought a brand new Wii U, it's unmolested by smelly children and careless adults. The only one that can stuff it up is me.

• Like 4

It was a failure by Nintendo standards but the only non-Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony consoles that outsold it were the Atari 2600 and SEGA Genesis. So, it should be easier to find replacement consoles and parts compared to all those other non-Big 3 retro consoles that it outsold. Someday fixing the controller could be like screen mods on an Atari Lynx today with the difference being that there were more Wii U controllers when new than Atari Lynxs when new. By more I mean like around 12 million more Wii U controllers than Atari Lynxs.

• Like 1

It was a failure by Nintendo standards but the only non-Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony consoles that outsold it were the Atari 2600 and SEGA Genesis. So, it should be easier to find replacement consoles and parts compared to all those other non-Big 3 retro consoles that it outsold. Someday fixing the controller could be like screen mods on an Atari Lynx today with the difference being that there were more Wii U controllers when new than Atari Lynxs when new. By more I mean like around 12 million more Wii U controllers than Atari Lynxs.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Helps really put things into perspective. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Has also made not owning a Switch relatively easy so far. Owning a PS4 and a Wii U, there's actually relatively little I want on the Switch today that I don't already have access to elsewhere. Super Mario Odyssey, the Nintendo arcade games in the Arcade Archives line, and a handful of odds and ends like a couple of Sega Ages downloads and Strikers 1945 are pretty much it as of the writing of this post.

That will of course be changing shortly as Nintendo's AAA output increasingly focuses on fresh games like Luigi's Mansion 3 and Yoshi's Crafted World, but so far it's basically just been Super Mario Odyssey for me.

This is me almost exactly. I love the Switch and I'm glad it's succeeding, but I really have no reason to get one yet due to my PS4 and Wii U libraries. Yoshi's Crafted World is the first game that might convince me to get a Switch.

The only thing I'm not with you on is Super Mario 3D World. That game didn't do much for me. Yoshi's Woolly World and Breath of the Wild were by far my favorite games from that generation.

This is why near the end of it's on shelf life I bought a brand new Wii U, it's unmolested by smelly children and careless adults. The only one that can stuff it up is me.

Same. It was very close to the end for me. In fact, less than 4 weeks after getting my Wii U, I never saw them on stores shelves again. Luckily, I had a pretty sizable Wii U library before I even bought the console.

Same. It was very close to the end for me. In fact, less than 4 weeks after getting my Wii U, I never saw them on stores shelves again. Luckily, I had a pretty sizable Wii U library before I even bought the console.

I had to drive to a smaller game store to buy mine as none of the locals had one. I think it was worth it, my Wii U is pristine and I have slowly collected what I wanted to play when I found titles at a good price. I have thoroughly enjoyed owning the Wii U and playing on it. Do not regret the purchase one bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think maybe I was vague with my reply. My reasoning is because even with the dubious legality of it, it's against eBay's ToS for prohibited content in an auction.

The seller is selling roms of someone else's IP for a profit. The description even reads: "You will receive a DVD with 895 Nintendo (NES) files, 741 Super Nintendo (SNES) files, and 951 Sega Genesis files."

• Like 1