IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I'm still seeing tons of NES Classic Editions around here.

Not so much the extra controllers though. I bought three at launch and returned two when nobody I thought would be interested wanted them, and then about a month later I saw several more.

SNES Classic Editions seem to be drying up around here though.

I saw two NESs and one SNES over the weekend...almost bought another NES just to see for myself if there was any difference, but decided against it. Still no secondary controllers for the NES though...plenty of 3rd party though.

I also picked up another RDS Industries case for my NES mini. I ordered their first version off amazon when it came out, same for the SNES version. But they were different shapes. This newest one is styled for the NES in colours, but can actually hold an SNES if you want. I picked it up, compared it to my other ones and decided it will stay. Now they both have the same size case, it's not as snug as the foam fitted first NES case, and it's a bit of a trick to coil the HDMI cable into it, but it'll do. They added an extra groove to accommodate the NES as well as SNES, and an extra spot for the slightly larger SNES AC adaptor.

But...it still has that nasty ass off-odor from the plastic materials. Takes a couple weeks for it to go away, lol.

• Like 2

I saw two NESs and one SNES over the weekend...almost bought another NES just to see for myself if there was any difference, but decided against it. Still no secondary controllers for the NES though...plenty of 3rd party though.

I also picked up another RDS Industries case for my NES mini. I ordered their first version off amazon when it came out, same for the SNES version. But they were different shapes. This newest one is styled for the NES in colours, but can actually hold an SNES if you want. I picked it up, compared it to my other ones and decided it will stay. Now they both have the same size case, it's not as snug as the foam fitted first NES case, and it's a bit of a trick to coil the HDMI cable into it, but it'll do. They added an extra groove to accommodate the NES as well as SNES, and an extra spot for the slightly larger SNES AC adaptor.

But...it still has that nasty ass off-odor from the plastic materials. Takes a couple weeks for it to go away, lol.

cool! i have been kicking around the idea of getting cases for my NES/SNES Minis so they don't get damaged with me movin em around the house all the time. (i'm clumsy, lol)

I'll check em out!

• Like 1

I'm still seeing tons of NES Classic Editions around here.

Not so much the extra controllers though. I bought three at launch and returned two when nobody I thought would be interested wanted them, and then about a month later I saw several more.

Same. I see the consoles now every time I go into a big box retail store, but still no controllers.

I bought one a year or 2 ago and never ended up opening it for whatever reason. I have an NES and several hundred games that I play whenever I'm in the mood, so I think I just bought the mini for the novelty of it. I think it's pretty cool for $60, but I guess it was just an impulse but for me.

When an old friend visited recently, he got excited about my game collection. I told him he could have the mini, and he was very happy about it. When we were teenagers, he had a 3do that I loved playing at his house, so I asked him about it, and it turned out that he still has it in an old box of stuff in his basement. He said we'll call it an even trade, and he's hooking me up with his old 3do with about 10 games or so. So, I'm quite glad that I acted on my impulse to buy that Nes Mini a while back.

• Like 5

He said we'll call it an even trade, and he's hooking me up with his old 3do with about 10 games or so. So, I'm quite glad that I acted on my impulse to buy that Nes Mini a while back.

The 3DO bundle is worth at least twice what the NES Classic is, probably more when you factor in the games. Nice trade.

• Like 1

Jeez, when you put it that way, it makes me feel like a sheister or something. Neither of us are resellers or anything, money didn't enter the equation. He has an old system sitting around that he hasn't played in years, and I had that mini with an extra controller still sitting there unopened. In fact, come to think of it, I originally offered him the mini as a gift, but he told me to take the 3do for it. We were both happy with the deal, but now you've got me feeling weird about it.

Jeez, when you put it that way, it makes me feel like a sheister or something. Neither of us are resellers or anything, money didn't enter the equation. He has an old system sitting around that he hasn't played in years, and I had that mini with an extra controller still sitting there unopened. In fact, come to think of it, I originally offered him the mini as a gift, but he told me to take the 3do for it. We were both happy with the deal, but now you've got me feeling weird about it.

Pfft, think nothing of it. If he's happy and you're happy with the trade-that's all that matters. "Worth" and "value" is subjective, no matter what anyone says.

Enjoy the 3DO guilt free. Don't let anyone else rain on your parade. It's the Internet and everyone has an opinion. Doesn't mean we have to read and follow what they say.

Enjoy the 3DO guilt free. Don't let anyone else rain on your parade. It's the Internet and everyone has an opinion. Doesn't mean we have to read and follow what they say.

I wasn't raining on his parade. I was complimenting him on a good trade (in his favor). Stop trying to read between the lines.

• Like 1

I wasn't raining on his parade. I was complimenting him on a good trade (in his favor). Stop trying to read between the lines.

How about you take your own advice? I wasn't singling out YOU, I was being general. He said he was feeling a bit strange about it after that post about value, so I said what I said. Not any attack toward you, no throwing stones at anyone. He shouldn't let anyone, even if what was said wasn't intended to, rain on his parade.

• 1 month later...

Combined sales of the NES/SNES Classic Edition has surpassed 10 million units.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/10/snes_mini_and_nes_mini_combined_global_sales_surpass_10_million_mark

With these numbers, I see one good reason why Nintendo held off releasing a 3rd entry this year. They've sold around 3 million units since the start of the year and likely won't have any difficulty doing a similar amount during the Christmas season as they mop up the final sales that are to be had with these products in their current form.

They simply didn't need a N64 Classic Edition or equivalent to keep this new business segment thriving in 2018.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Stunning, if you put it in perspective of their biggest failure of a console with the WiiU. An actual console, their last dedicated one too, and it barely eeked out 14M units and it had hundreds of games, more into the digital realm. Here you have the NES and SNES CE systems with 51 games between the two locked into place at the non-hacked consumer level, and unlike WiiU, it's still on the market, has a large presence, and it will sell at the least into 2019 to some point that holds value to them to continue the run.

It makes you wonder how many ATGames has peddled with Sega systems by the year they get so much flack for. How will the mediocre list of good/decent games the upcoming Sony PS1 mini will do? How about the SNK Neo Geo Mini too which also has some issues.

Nintendo really did set the bar for not just price, but a quality line up with that price that so far hasn't been quite as matched which is a bit of a shame.

It's known the hardware Nintendo has can handle the N64 on the high end without upgrading the parts, and lower down that ladder Gameboy anything would be manageable too. So what's next, and when (if?) They have no motivation to stop with these things with that level of appeal as it goes well beyond just adults, but the kids are lapping it up too because year of release doesn't degrade quality of game when they're just made that well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It Finally happened!!!!

I went to WalMart a couple of days ago and saw NES Classic extra controllers In Stock and sitting on a shelf...about 4 or 5 of them at $9.88 each! At that price (and considering these work on the Wii), I probably should have picked up another extra. Maybe next time.

• Like 4

It Finally happened!!!!

I went to WalMart a couple of days ago and saw NES Classic extra controllers In Stock and sitting on a shelf...about 4 or 5 of them at $9.88 each! At that price (and considering these work on the Wii), I probably should have picked up another extra. Maybe next time.

I came here to post just that! I just came back from Wal-Mart with two fresh NES Classic pads.

post-24675-0-50049300-1543047847_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Still none here in Canada but we have tins of 8bitdo stuff. I saw a while whack of euro versions in Germany over the summer and they were similarly priced. In retrospect I 'could' have waited the two+ years to get another controller...but the limited release at the time, I couldnt pass up the one I bought on ebay...marked up price but not ridiculous.

I will definitely pick a few spares up if I find them though. At the retail price, it's priced just right. In fact, the NES mini is ten bucjs less than what it released for two years ago...most likely to help move the SNES classic, but then you get two pads with that.

Is it true you can mod the SNES mini to play NES roms too?

• Like 2

Still none here in Canada but we have tins of 8bitdo stuff. I saw a while whack of euro versions in Germany over the summer and they were similarly priced. In retrospect I 'could' have waited the two+ years to get another controller...but the limited release at the time, I couldnt pass up the one I bought on ebay...marked up price but not ridiculous.

I will definitely pick a few spares up if I find them though. At the retail price, it's priced just right. In fact, the NES mini is ten bucjs less than what it released for two years ago...most likely to help move the SNES classic, but then you get two pads with that.

Is it true you can mod the SNES mini to play NES roms too?

yes you can, but i do not know the specifics of how hakchi/retroarch work. you'd have to do some digging on the details. :)

• Like 1