IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Assuming the NX were to fail like the Wii U, then I do think there's a scenario where Nintendo could take the NES Mini concept through a logical evolution and release a mini console that took collectible mini cartridges, although maybe with an SNES technological foundation. They could release it at $99 with two wireless controllers and re-release classic games (and even some new games), but make the game boxes something special and collectible, a la what they did with the Amiibo stuff.

The above scenario would have been ludicrous even a few years back, but we're now in a world with a Nintendo with a failed traditional console in the books, aging out handheld, NES Mini, and pretty much all-in on mobile on other people's platforms, so anything is possible at this point given enough "incentive."

Again, though, I think the NES Mini is a one-off bridge to get us to the NX, and Nintendo will only follow through on more of that type of thing should the NX fail to resonate for whatever reason. Otherwise, I see them being all-in on the NX, let the 3DS continue to die off on its natural cycle, and continue to release strategic mobile stuff.

I think we'll get a SNES Mini, but perhaps not as soon as people are thinking.

I envision it making the most sense not next Fall when their focus will be squarely on the NX (As Bill also just said), but several years down the road. And not just if the NX is a failure, either.

When 4-5 years have gone by for the NX, it will be a great candidate to keep people positive about Nintendo when the inevitable lull happens during its latter days on the marketplace as Nintendo is busying themselves with the NX follow-up but aren't yet ready to launch it.

• Like 2

When I was a kid my Mom used to encourage me to write letters....To toy companies, for instance, telling them what toys I think they should make...Or what the new Micronauts could be (Including my ideas and sometimes drawings and sketches, etc.)...Sometimes they even wrote back!

That's pretty cool right there. I remember doing some pretty detailed drawings of what I thought would be great as the next series of Micronauts aliens, I don't think I ever considered sending them in to Mego.

• Like 1

That's pretty cool right there. I remember doing some pretty detailed drawings of what I thought would be great as the next series of Micronauts aliens, I don't think I ever considered sending them in to Mego.

I wrote to Capsella with an idea for a car that hit a wall and reversed direction. One of the balls had a simple two speed transmission with reciprocating switch that pressed a gear against one of two right angle gears of different size. These axles faced in opposite directions thus could be used to reverse direction if attached to opposite facing wheels.

I wrote a letter to the company with my idea, and sometime years later as a older teen/young adult, I came across a brochure which included a diagram for a "clutch car" which used a variation of my original design. The key element was that the car had the clutch facing frontwards (or rearwards) and hitting a wall or obstacle reversed it's direction. I smiled when I saw it, though I'm unsure if they actually used my idea or independently created it.

• Like 3

Assuming the NX were to fail like the Wii U, then I do think there's a scenario where Nintendo could take the NES Mini concept through a logical evolution and release a mini console that took collectible mini cartridges, although maybe with an SNES technological foundation. They could release it at $99 with two wireless controllers and re-release classic games (and even some new games), but make the game boxes something special and collectible, a la what they did with the Amiibo stuff.

Why not just make it a Virtual Console box? Physical media only complicates all the business math and I don't think the collectible angle is anywhere near strong enough to make it worth it.

Of course, people collect Amiibos, so wth do I know. But to me I think it would be very strong just as it is, simply add the ability to download new games....and they already have the Virtual Store infrastructure set up.

• Like 1

Why not just make it a Virtual Console box? Physical media only complicates all the business math and I don't think the collectible angle is anywhere near strong enough to make it worth it.

Of course, people collect Amiibos, so wth do I know. But to me I think it would be very strong just as it is, simply add the ability to download new games....and they already have the Virtual Store infrastructure set up.

Hmm, maybe collectibles that unlock games, like special $20 Amiibos that let you download its associated game for free on the special console. Anyway, lots of options there, but the main point was to play on the nostalgia factor as much as possible using Amiibos as the example to follow, but in cartridge form. Whatever the case, no doubt Nintendo is many years away from even entertaining any variation on the concept.

• Like 1

Then make it top loading like the 1993 version and problem solved.

Nintendo is not gonna release anything that takes physical media unless they also make the games for it. A new 2016 cart loading NES will be more expensive than the Classic Mini but rely on physical media. Modern for-profit devs won't release games for it so they're only hope is to reissue VC games as carts that already exist secondhand for cheaper. This would not be a profitable endeavor for them. And if they made smallish proprietary carts for their mini NES (I like to think Game Boy sized but NES like form factor). But then Nintendo would essentially be making a proprietary new console that plays old games in new proprietary format.

Someone already pitched a similar idea at a certain toy fair in an unnamed large city in an unnamed state somewhere in the north contenental US. His name was Mike Kennedy.

NX will take carts but they will be new games designed for new, powerful hardware. The NES Classic Mini and any future plug-n-plays will be self contained nostalgia boxes that do not accept outside media.

• Like 1

You know, like the NX, which will actually be using carts? :lol:

Totally different as those wont be to utilize 30 year old carts :roll: Nice try there though :lol: the rest of my points stand as well. As I said I would be happy for Nintendo to prove me wrong believe me but I doubt it. :P

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

Why not just make it a Virtual Console box?

They already make one of those. Here's a bundle at Gamestop with the console, a single-controller, Super Mario Galaxy, and Wii Sports for $49.99. Once you have this starter set, you can buy every single game from the NES Classic Mini a la carte for 5 dollars each.

B909185Qb1.jpg

I agree with you that the collectible angle doesn't seem worth the hassle, but maybe you and I aren't the best target audience. My 9yo child started saying "McDonald's Happy Meal toys are kinda cheap." She's obviously parroting things that someone else said, but I wonder if the mess-o-cartridges has the same appeal to today's young people as they did to us.

• Like 2

Not really, they still do not want to be responsible or worry about supporting 30 year old carts, what is so difficult to grasp here? :?

Its not just saying it would be cool. Or maybe the NX cart slot can have an adapter. Or dual cart slot. Or make NX propriatery slot not compatible with anything else and just re release the classic games. Not all just some like this 30 in 1 thing.

They already make one of those. Here's a bundle at Gamestop with the console, a single-controller, Super Mario Galaxy, and Wii Sports for $49.99. Once you have this starter set, you can buy every single game from the NES Classic Mini a la carte for 5 dollars each.

I agree with you that the collectible angle doesn't seem worth the hassle, but maybe you and I aren't the best target audience. My 9yo child started saying "McDonald's Happy Meal toys are kinda cheap." She's obviously parroting things that someone else said, but I wonder if the mess-o-cartridges has the same appeal to today's young people as they did to us.

Ha! I get what you are saying but clearly a big part of this thing is having the mini-NES, that looks just like a NES, on your shelf (and there is a reason it is an Xmas thing, people need gift buying ideas and a used, last generation system that's not pre-loaded for immediate plug and play ain't gettin' no "oooooh"s on Xmas morning). So from that nostalgia+gift giving angle, I don't think it is at all comparable to an old used wii.

Once people start trying to build a bridge to actual cartridges, I just don't see how it works, but maybe enough people would get on board.

And Happy Meal Toys are cheap. When i was a kid they gave real Hot Wheels several times. Metal ones. Now they give plastic versions you have to put stickers on yourself. Lame! :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

And Happy Meal Toys are cheap. When i was a kid they gave real Hot Wheels several times. Metal ones. Now they give plastic versions you have to put stickers on yourself. Lame! :thumbsdown:

Yeah and Hardees did the Dukes of Hazard cars... I still got my General Lee.

I still don't think this little toy will be anything more than what it says. Lots of people will buy it plenty will get tired of its novelty after a few months and then we will see them stacked at Goodwill or Salvation Army. I give it 6 months.

And no its not that I am against Nintendo in any way but the nostalgia bug will hit and the novelty will wear off.... think Furby or Tickle Me Elmo and remember its a toy.

• Like 2

Indeed. If Nintendo is going to re-release more of their old hardware in "mini" format with no cartridge port, I expect them to pack 30+ first-party Game Boy + Game Boy Color games into a low-priced portable gizmo with a color screen (à la Game Boy Micro) or do a mini console that lets you play those same GB/GBC games on a TV screen with the same "modernized" NES controller that will come bundled with the NES Mini. Or better yet, they can release a Super-NES Mini, which would probably fly off the retail shelves even faster than the NES Mini. Nintendo can suck a lot of milk out of this cash cow if they play their cards right. :)

EDIT: How about a tabletop console with its own screen, similar in shape to the old Coleco electronic tabletop games? Nah, it wouldn't be "Nintendo-ish". Although they could shape it like their own tabletops, like Popeye and Donkey Kong Junior. Imagine playing Game Boy, Game Boy Color and perhaps even Game Boy Advance games on a tabletop like this. :)

popeye.jpg

Pixelboy, I like the cut of your jib.

See here. First announced on January 1st, 2013.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?StartRow=1&catid=7&threadid=92557

I've been waiting for this since 2013. Just waiting on my ship notification from RetroUSB.

The first game that is going in is Castlevania III... the true test of compatibility. ;-)

The Japanese version is better! ;-)