IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

Shouldn't the notification emails go out immediately? :ponder:

Wait, a substantial number of your coworkers? Might I ask what kind of establishment you work at? If it's a game store, that's understandable. If people are talking about the NES Mini around the water cooler at the office, and others across the country doing likewise, then we are all screwed. I seriously doubt Nintendo produced more than a million of these suckers.....

I am guessing it doesn't go out immediately... I can probably find out how the system works, but I have never worked on or for anything Amazon, Yahoo etc. Just isn't my area.

I work at a factory (not related to gaming) with a couple hundred people of which a few dozen have an interest in gaming... because I am considered "the" gamer guy in a way, many come to me for all things gaming, repair, news etc. This is why I am aware of how many people are watching these things... when any of us find new stuff, we start texting and see who wants whatever it is we found, like plug n plays, Flashbacks, Sega Handhelds/Gophers etc. I always buy extras and sell them to those outside the loop at work.

Last year we had trouble finding enough Sega Handhelds to go around, so I went to a dozen Dollar Generals on an area road trip for three hours and got all I could find... and sold them at work. I almost always have some left over, so I have spares, and gifts for gamers sometimes. :D

MrBlackCat

• Like 3

Meanwhile I'll play with my Mega Joy II......

mega%20joy%20II_zpsyhuiitqp.jpg

I have one of those somewhere. I also got a Super Joy Famicom pirate cart that works in the slot underneath or on a real console. Some of the hacked title screens are real class act. Ding Dong is actually Binary Land for instance. :P

Mega Joy systems were immensely popular, for reasons I can't explain. The novelty of a $20 knockoff n64 pad made of papier-mâché really grabbed some people.

I can explain the reasons, at least my reasons

Cheap

Colorful packaging

Lots of games

Easy to hook up

Available at retail, or at least the sketchy-looking kiosk in the mall or flea market

This was 10 years ago, before super-cheap tablets, laptops, and smartphones were everywhere, before Virtual Console, and when your best bet for emulation was a big desktop PC.

• Like 2

My Mega Joy II pad is made from really sturdy plastic, not a paper-fold pad at all.

What I wanna know is why didn't Nintendo sue, them and their protection of its IP. They even sued companies who released good games for the consoles, eg Codemasters, Tengen.

They were probably all one-off batches from Chinese factories, difficult to trace.

Just tested both side by side, it's the N64 controller, which is the nasty one.

Half the weight of the Joy controller (OK I forgot about the batteries) cheap plastics used. And my N64 controller is never even used, new fresh out of the bag. It feels like some cheap Chinese product.

WP_20160927_18_20_37_Pro_zps9uy7x2mj.jpg

Edited by high voltage

What I wanna know is why didn't Nintendo sue, them and their protection of its IP.

I vaguely recall that Nintendo did finally go after the mall kiosks and other such stores that were selling these in the U.S. That's why you don't see them as commonly as you used to. Otherwise, what godslabrat said: They all likely came from overseas fly-by-nights that would be difficult to trace and equally difficult to prosecute.

This was 10 years ago, before super-cheap tablets, laptops, and smartphones were everywhere, before Virtual Console, and when your best bet for emulation was a big desktop PC.

10 years ago I was playing NES games on a HTC windows mobile 5 candybar phone, and it was cheaper than the Razars every other yutz was buying

before then I had my cassio casiopa pocket pc PDA loaded with NES, and colecovision games, that was before windows XP and I got it for like 120$ new cause it was "old" then

it doesnt take a cray to emulate no matter how many people think it does, my old 8MB 90 mhz pentium ran NES games with power to spare fetching emails and doing downloads in the background, and those power joys have about as much horsepower as a playstation 1 (being generous here)

Edited by Osgeld

My Mega Joy II pad is made from really sturdy plastic, not a paper-fold pad at all.

What I wanna know is why didn't Nintendo sue, them and their protection of its IP. They even sued companies who released good games for the consoles, eg Codemasters, Tengen.

They did sue those jokers. One guy spent 5 years in jail for their distribution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Player_Super_Joy_III#History

In April 2005, Cohen pleaded guilty to selling illegally copied video games.[2]

In November 2005, Cohen was sentenced to five years in federal prison and was required to run ads in mall magazines to tell the public how he illegally sold knockoff video games at Mall of America kiosks.[5]

Problem is the dealers would get shut down and simply move their base of operations to other shopping malls in new areas. It was like a giant game of whack-a-mole and Nintendo was holding the hammer. :P

I mentioned copyright law once to one of the jokers selling these and he gave me a scripted speech about how copyrights on all these old games had already expired (20 year term limit which is factually inaccurate). It was clear he was reciting this info from memory and all dealers had been trained to handle such inquiries.

• Like 1

I had a Cassiopeia as well...I wish I could remember what I paid for a small capacity flash card back then.

My point is just that these were cheap and easy, and early to market. Obviously they weren't the first or best.

agreed, but I also like to point out you probally could emulate a NES with a 386 laptop (without sound of course) instead of some big hulking beast of a desktop that requires a nuclear reactor and a water tank

agreed, but I also like to point out you probally could emulate a NES with a 386 laptop (without sound of course) instead of some big hulking beast of a desktop that requires a nuclear reactor and a water tank

Nesticle put the "crap" in crapulation, and possibly one of the very few emulators that run on such early system. No desire to go back to the early days... :roll:

I mentioned copyright law once to one of the jokers selling these and he gave me a scripted speech about how copyrights on all these old games had already expired (20 year term limit which is factually inaccurate). It was clear he was reciting this info from memory and all dealers had been trained to handle such inquiries.

Wow, considering that copyrights are designed to extend well beyond the lifetime of anyone who would care about them, that's some pretty crap understanding of IP law. You have to wonder if they guy actually believed that or if he was just dead-set on getting rich off famiclones.

Wow, considering that copyrights are designed to extend well beyond the lifetime of anyone who would care about them, that's some pretty crap understanding of IP law. You have to wonder if they guy actually believed that or if he was just dead-set on getting rich off famiclones.

The guy selling them was of the fast talking Indian type and clearly well versed on how to deal with such inquiries. I think he well knew the product were shady but likely worked on commission, so his job was to convince the consumer otherwise in order to make sales. They had quite a system going and would travel from one mall to another selling bootleg consoles. By not staying in one place for a long time, they largely avoided prosecution by Nintendo. Even after nintendo shut down operation and prosecuted some ring leaders, did not dissuade others from carrying on peddling these bootleg consoles. Like I said, they kept on popping up, like whack-a-mole! As late as 2010, they still had a kiosk set up peddling units at Pecanland Mall in Monroe, LA. And I bought another unit knowing full well it was illegal bootleg, because I'm a collectard. :P

• Like 2

Famicom Mini announced.

original.jpg

Two controllers to our one hardly seems fair. Slightly different game lineup, as well (I see about 5 different games here). And there's some footage of this in action later in the trailer as well, showing the menus, save states, screen filters, etc.

First footage that we know of that's definitively from these units, I believe.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4