IGNORED

TK-II-STEREO Board (Incorporates Dual Pokey, U-Switch, PS/2 Dual Keyboard)

mytek

The main boards arrived and work great!

Here's one with with right angle connectors (XL/XE), and the other with straight connectors (XEGS).

mmI8TDn.jpg

Bottom View (haven't cleaned off the flux).

rAAihR4.jpg

This thing just worked right out of the box without any problems what-so-ever. The fit was close on the 74HCT4066 chip, but I encountered no problems with assembly. The one thing that I wish I had thought about was to put silk screened labels on both sides of the connector pins, since they get covered up when using the right angle connectors (oh well).

I still have some things to verify when the connector interface boards arrive, but based on using one of the early versions I don't anticipate any problems with that either.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 6

Purple solder mask is the most unbelievable tech pr0n to ever exist! Especially due to my odd colour blindness, this is one of the only shades of purple that I can see differently than a standard dark blue.

Glad that floats your boat :)

- Michael

• Like 1

Project Update

Well at this point I feel 99.9% sure that we have a go for launch. And as I mentioned earlier I'm still waiting for the final piece to arrive, but thus far all indicators are green for a successful product. Since I'll be on vacation for about a week starting tomorrow, things will be temporarily on hold. But when I get back I'll be able to test out the connector interface board just to be certain that we don't have any unforeseen problems.

Now for an interesting and very nice opportunity that recently popped up. Lenore (Dropcheck) has graciously offered to build and sell these from her website in the fully assembled and tested form. And in order for this to be a worthwhile venture, I have decided to grant her exclusive license to do so. I won't go into all the details such as price and availability, which is for her to decide, but I really think this is a great thing for the Atari community especially for those that don't have the means to assemble these themselves. Of course for the DIY person, I still intend to have the bare boards available from OSH Park, and the design files downloadable from my website. And so as not to jump the gun, please give Lenore and myself time to transfer the technology, work out any bugs, and allow her time to get things set-up on her end before you start to pester her too much. And I will assume when she is good and ready, she'll make her own announcement. Pretty exciting stuff :-o

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 5

Great to hear the progress, such a fantastic upgrade to the TK design. AND great to hear that Dropcheck will be producing it. Her Bits Of The Past shop is a welcome resource to all, very nice products available. I only 'discovered' the shop a couple weeks ago, and at the time thought it would be great if the TK ][ would be offered there. For everyone that hasn't visited I urge you to take a look, lots of Atari kit :)

Yogi

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Been building and testing a couple of boards this week, and decided to re-do my XEGS installation that originally had one of Lotharek's Stereo boards and a U-Switch (plus a TK-II-PIGGYBACK). I also cleaned up the connection strategy on the U1MB, going from soldered to plug connectors as it should have been. The XEGS will now act as a test bed for the boards I've assembled.

TK-II-STEREO Installation in XEGS with U1MB and UAV

gNHg9fW.jpg

So far no problems to report :) the boards are doing what they are suppose to.

I have updated the silkscreen on the two boards so that the labels are visible no matter what style of connector is being used (either straight or right angle).

f14335abf258f746d09358708687a273.png

I'll probably be making a 2nd smaller interface board with just a single PS2 connector which will still support a 'Y' cable for dual keyboards. This will be good for those situations where space is at a premium.

189911d64e632b3858c651da882632cc.png

And here's a look at how I have been using the JOY2PIC ICSP Programming board to update the PIC chip's firmware (a Microchip PICkit2 or 3 programmer would work as well).

8jKHuAC.jpg

So its looking good that I'll be shipping out a board set to Dropcheck near the end of this week, and then she can begin evaluating what will be required on her end to manufacture these.

- Michael

• Like 5

In order to give Dropcheck the best possible chance of success when she starts offering these for sale, I will be concentrating on assisting her in the initial phases of this project and working through any problems that may be encountered. So what this means is that there will most likely be a delay before the PCB's become available from OSH Park for the DIY people out there. Or in other words it won't happen before the completely assembled and tested boards become available from Bits of the Past. This will help insure that all the boards out there will at least start out life at the same revision level, and hopefully be completely free of bugs.

When the DIY boards do become available, it is imperative that a certain order be followed in assembling the 'MAIN' board, as follows...

1. First: all IC's, resistors, capacitors, and diodes are to be mounted and soldered.
  2. Next: the two 20-pin machine pin headers are inserted into the board (from the bottom side) and preferably plugged into a 40 pin IC socket for alignment prior to soldering them in place from the top side.
  3. Finally: the two 40-pin POKEY IC sockets are inserted, as well as your choice of interconnection headers (straight or right-angle), and soldered in place.

- Michael

• Like 3

Here's what I have in mind for the alternative 'small footprint' connector interface board (in development).

hpYD1zL.png

Basically for those that only need one PS/2 keyboard input, but still want all of the stereo line-out possibilities this offers a great size reduction advantage. And with the use of an external PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard 'Y' cable, a 2nd keyboard is still possible.

- Michael

• Like 1

I've been a stereo fanatic lately since I got this project going full tilt. Been loading up all kinds of stereo enabled games and demos, of which there are quite a few for the dual Pokey setup. So I think what I would like to do at some point is create an absolute 'best of' Top 40 list of download links. Anyone care to help with this?

Thanks in advance :)

- Michael

• Like 1

If you are going to install a TK-II-STEREO board in an XEGS as I have done, you will need to add one additional thing that wasn't shown in that earlier picture I posted of my XEGS. That would be a jumper going from pin 13 to pin 15 on the stock keyboard jack, soldered from the under side of the motherboard. The image below shows this jumper as a resistor. As for the other blue jumper wires, these are not a part of this modification, but instead are there to support a plug-in TK-II-XEGS keyboard adapter (full details on that can be found: HERE). On an additional note, the TK-II-XEGS does not require the pin 13 to 15 jumper modification, but also isn't affected by it either.

iNktQJZ.jpg

As can be seen I used a 47 ohm resistor as my jumper, but really any resistor of 1K or less will work just fine (basically the resistor serves as an easy way to jumper those two pins while also not shorting out to the miiddle pin 14 (reserved for Console Switch START connection). A small insulated wire would also work, but being as short as it is, that would be a difficult wire to strip the insulation from while still leaving some in the center.

So why is this jumper necessary? It tells the XEGS that a keyboard is plugged in (even when one is not), thus disabling the built-in missile command game when first powering up the XEGS. Of course by setting the TK-II configuration parameter: GAME BOOT = ON (CTRL+ALT+G toggles it), then the jumper is ignored and the missile command game will be run on powering up the XEGS.

I hope all of that makes sense.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 2

I had some questions from a guy in the beta test group that resulted in me creating this image for better clarification.

QXRWUIU.png

Some of the unused signals on J2 are only there because they are required when doing in-circuit-programming of the PIC MCU chip (U4) during production. The GND (VS) connection on J3 is provided in case you were to use a physical switch for selection of a single pokey (mono operation). In which case the switch would be connected across J3-3 (MO) and J3-4 (VS). Otherwise if hooking this up to a U1MB board you would connect J3-3 (MO) to P4-MO on the U1MB.

- Michael

• Like 2

Unlike the Lotharek Simple Stereo board, the TK-II-STEREO audio line output jack will not directly drive into speakers or headphones. Some sort of audio amplification is required. This is directly attributable to the very simple one transistor mixing circuit employed in the TK-II-STEREO's output stage, which unlike the dual OP-Amp used in the Simple Stereo design, is not able to feed into a low impedance. This is the small price you pay in the effort to reduce size and complexity.

Je4391I.jpg

- Michael

EDIT: even the Lotharek board won't produce much volume from a speaker, and really requires amplification to do it justice.

Edited by mytekcontrols

Size comparison between the two connector interface boards.

4Ku645v.png

Space can be tight in the A8, so as can be seen there could be a definite advantage to using the smaller 'single' PS2 interface board vs the dual version.

For most people having only one PS2 connector is not going to be a problem, especially if they have no need to hook two keyboards to their A8 (could also be a one keyboard, one numeric keypad combination). However if two keyboards are desired, but space is a problem, going with a 'Y' cable on the single connector version would still provide this functionality.

StarTech PS/2 Keyboard Mouse Splitter Cable Adapter

Product ID: KYC1MF

d83569af-b09c-4634-820b-b8ad22924b7a_1.6

Note: Please keep in mind that this cable isn't simply parallel connecting both PS2 jacks together, but actual has the CLK and DATA lines for each jack going to different pins on the plug side. The TK-II-STEREO-INTFC-S board has its single PS2 jack wired to provide this same configuration.

I've seen these going for as low as $4.80 with free shipping on eBay. Search Term: KYC1MF

- Michael

• Like 2

Project Status

Beta testing is still in process. And results thus far look very good, although some issues were encountered during assembly that I felt needed to be pointed out and/or some things better clarified.

Assembly notes...

- Component Installation Order

It is best if you solder in the two IC's first (U3-74HCT4066 and U4-PIC16F1847). This way there will be no interference problems when inserting the other components.

So with that in mind, this assembly order still holds true.

• First: all IC's, resistors, capacitors, and diodes are to be mounted and soldered.
  • Next: the two 20-pin machine pin headers are inserted into the board (from the bottom side) and preferably plugged into a 40 pin IC socket for alignment prior to soldering them in place from the top side.
  • Finally: the two 40-pin POKEY IC sockets are inserted, as well as your choice of interconnection headers (straight or right-angle), and soldered in place.

- Machine Pin Header Orientation

There is a long tail and a short tail side to the headers. In order for the board to have the best chance at not wanting to pop out of the A8's Pokey socket, the short tail needs to be the side that gets soldered into the TK-II-STEREO board, with the long tail going into the A8's Pokey socket.
9ND4Tdm.png

The image above is specifically for the headers I purchased off of eBay: New 5 Pcs Plastic 2.45mPitch 40 Position Single Row Round Male Pin Header

- Solder Bridges to Via Pads

Be very careful when soldering either the above mentioned headers or the 40 pin IC sockets that you do not accidentally bridge across to a via (reference image below).

qthb6LX.png

- Remove Inner Cross Supports from 40 pin Sockets

Most machine pin sockets of this size will have two inner cross supports that will need to be removed in order to allow clearance for many of the components that reside in this inner area. I use diagonal wire cutters, and follow up with a razor blade to remove any remaining plastic material.

7g0HHsy.jpg

I think that covers it for now.

- Michael

• Like 5

Wow - that's a compact little board.

Hi Stephen :)

Yeah I really like how this one came out too. And it certainly is tiny, which should making finding a spot for it inside the A8 case a lot easier than using its dual PS2 connector cousin. In fact this will probably end up being the default go to connector board for most people's needs. The dual board is actually better suited for the custom PC tower enclosed Atari's where you have gobs of room.

- Michael

Hi Mike!

In my testing everything is running 100% of the design specs. Most Atari Project seem to always fall short of one things or another. Mike and I put our heads together and did a full Though Process before he committed to the Cading of the PCB. The original Stereo Pokey board used a DPDT Switch and LED to operate it. The U1Meg had the Menu and the control line for it. However The Stereo Pokey had no way to get its control from the U1Meg. Lotharek Designed a Little PCB that uses a 4066 & 74hct04 to replace the DPDT and LED. This Allow for the U1MEG to Control the Stereo Pokey Board from its Menu or Software. Just as an Added Note the u-Switch that Lotharek sells is a most useful interface board. You can tie one of the output pins of your Joystick to the control pin of the U-Switch. Now you can control many different devices with it. Now the next logical step was to add the TransKey-II to it. Mike was kind enough to change the function of the mouse function and add a second Keyboard port. The Idea of the Pokey Super Board came from Mike and I swapping e-mails. Originally Candle did a limited Run of Stereo Pokey Boards that also had an AKI included with it. I was never able to get one of these boards so I am not sure what all it had in it. I do not know if it had a u-Switch for interface with the u-1Meg. I was able to talk Mike into added the second Keyboard port because I was always having problem with my Mouse. I told Mike how my Atari Tower had SVGA, RGB, S-Video, and Composite outputs. My Office is has a desk on both sides of the room. One side has my PC Equipment the other desk has my Atari Multiplexer system. Since I have kvm switches on both sides I use PS2 or Din 5 PC Keyboards. With the TK-11 and VBXE and scan Converter I have this wonderful Crisp Clear SVGA on my 54 inch SVGA Monitor. I have an 5 year old TV that has every input you could ever want. Composite, SVGA, RGB, HDMI, S-Video, and High Def. So by Far Mike has built the most useful PCB for the Pokey you could ever want. As Soon as they go into production I will have to get me 6 more of them. Wiring all three boards in is a task requiring great attention to make it look right. I was able to get this project going by investing and a very cool upgrade called Candle -o-Sin which is the Stereo Pokey, u-Switch, U1Meg, Side 2 for Michael. I gave him this upgrade instead of a shareware check. While I program and do some hardware design by far Michael is the Master at PCB Design. I have known of Mike from the time he did the first TransKey 1.0 in 1990 and genlock. So I do not ramble to long!

Thank You very Much Mike for building the Super Pokey Upgrade! :thumbsup: ;-)

I can not think of a single thing that needs to be added!

Stephen J. Carden

http://www.realdos.net

Edited by Stephen J. Carden
  • Like 2

Hi Stephen :)

Yeah I really like how this one came out too. And it certainly is tiny, which should making finding a spot for it inside the A8 case a lot easier than using its dual PS2 connector cousin. In fact this will probably end up being the default go to connector board for most people's needs. The dual board is actually better suited for the custom PC tower enclosed Atari's where you have gobs of room.

- Michael

Hi Mike!

Mike is referring to my Atari Tower. Here is a Link to my Web Site and Pictures of this Atari Beast.

http://www.realdos.net/Tower-Project.html

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Mike!

Mike is referring to my Atari Tower. Here is a Link to my Web Site and Pictures of this Atari Beast.

http://www.realdos.net/Tower-Project.html

Steve

Steve doesn't know it, but I think I beat him to the punch, and was likely the first person to install an Atari 8-bit in a PC case (although mine wasn't a tower style). I believe this happened in late 1989 when I got the first Transkey-I boards back from the PCB house, trading some these for a BB and hard drive from Bob Puff. I'm curious if anyone else out there did something similar but at an even earlier date ? Maybe we should start a new topic on re-cased Atari's :idea:

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Live Demonstration Announcement

Simon (orpheuswaking) will be at this weekend's VCF MidWest with A TK-II-STEREO board being demonstrated. If anyone lives close by, and are curious to see one these in the flesh, you might want to stop by and pay him a visit at his booth. He is one of a few BETA testers that assembled his boards from scratch, and I've got to say his assembly skills are excellent.

QF0Sjn4.jpg

Besides this now installed demo board, he also has a bare main board and an assembled single PS2 connector interface board on hand for people to look at.

I just wish I wasn't all the way over here on the West coast :(

- Michael

• Like 3

For those who are intimidated by the soldering aspect I should have a pre-order offer up by the end of next week. Some minor differences in parts, but the board design will be done by Michael. Main board, dual and single PS/2 adapters. The only thing you would need to source would be the Pokey chips. I'll have more details then. ;-)

• Like 2