IGNORED

Dragon multi-cartridge to Odyssey 2 Extension

Rolo

:waving:

Owners of Dragon/Tandy Color Computers and Odyssey 2 might want to have a look at this:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242786-multi-cartridge-for-dragoncoco-2-available/?do=findComment&comment=3553179

Use one multi-cartridge for both systems.

Please find all the information you need in the Dragon/CoCo multi-cartridge thread.

Feel free to PM or post questions any time.

Cheers,

Rolo

:)

• Like 1

Thanks :thumbsup: usually I'm operating at a quite narrow margin. I wouldn't want to pay for making the cartridges. ;)

I still have not found a cheap supplier for the connectors. I would have to buy at least 50 pieces to get a somewhat reasonable price, more than I probably ever will be able to sell. Otherwise the Extension carts would be quite expensive. Before I have not solved that logistics problem, I can not really make a solid price calculation. But I'm never making these things for profit as a business. It's only a hobby project.

Please have a look at the Multi-cart thread from time to time. I'll post any progress I'll (hopefully) make.

Thanks :thumbsup: usually I'm operating at a quite narrow margin. I wouldn't want to pay for making the cartridges. ;)

I still have not found a cheap supplier for the connectors. I would have to buy at least 50 pieces to get a somewhat reasonable price, more than I probably ever will be able to sell. Otherwise the Extension carts would be quite expensive. Before I have not solved that logistics problem, I can not really make a solid price calculation. But I'm never making these things for profit as a business. It's only a hobby project.

Please have a look at the Multi-cart thread from time to time. I'll post any progress I'll (hopefully) make.

Rolo,

You need to join the Videopac/O2 forum... I think you will be able to sell 50 easily. Posting on that forum under the new release section with all info and asking for people to declare their interest should be more then enough to convince you of this. I have also sent you a PM.

@ScottyDont00:

I know. I posted a link on AA/Odyssey-section. Still need to post in www.videopac.nl, where I published a few Odyssey related posts, time ago, as far as I remember.

But there are already some cartridge solutions out there. The extension board is interesting for owners of the Dragon/CoCo Multi-cart. That's why I'm focussing on "The Dragon Archive", and AA as the standard platform for retro stuff. But I'll put a link on videopac.nl, too. :thumbsup:

@SSG: Sure. That's the cheapest place, you probably can find.

I have a source, where I can get a limited number (don't know how many they have) of connectors. I have to postprocess them manually, which is extra work, but at least it's a solid solution.

I still need some time before I'll start "mass-production". Please don't expect me to deliver tomorrow. I'll keep on working whenever I can.

;-)

@ScottyDont00:

I know. I posted a link on AA/Odyssey-section. Still need to post in www.videopac.nl, where I published a few Odyssey related posts, time ago, as far as I remember.

But there are already some cartridge solutions out there. The extension board is interesting for owners of the Dragon/CoCo Multi-cart. That's why I'm focussing on "The Dragon Archive", and AA as the standard platform for retro stuff. But I'll put a link on videopac.nl, too. :thumbsup:

@SSG: Sure. That's the cheapest place, you probably can find.

I have a source, where I can get a limited number (don't know how many they have) of connectors. I have to postprocess them manually, which is extra work, but at least it's a solid solution.

I still need some time before I'll start "mass-production". Please don't expect me to deliver tomorrow. I'll keep on working whenever I can.

;-)

Rolo,when you are ready,post all the details (price,website,photos,numbers produced etc) on a new post in the "new releases" section on the Videopac/Odyssey2 forum.

I will then add it to the Release Schedule list on the forum there. I'm mjb on the Videopac/Odyssey2 forum (the mod for the New releases section).

We are a friendly bunch there and as ScottyDont00 has said there will be quite a few people interested in it just as a Videopac item.

Rolo,when you are ready,post all the details (price,website,photos,numbers produced etc) on a new post in the "new releases" section on the Videopac/Odyssey2 forum.

I will then add it to the Release Schedule list on the forum there. I'm mjb on the Videopac/Odyssey2 forum (the mod for the New releases section).

We are a friendly bunch there and as ScottyDont00 has said there will be quite a few people interested in it just as a Videopac item.

I'm pretty there are quite a few who will buy this and any other multicart someone makes for the O2/VP. We love our systems very much and love to support someone putting effort into creating something for it!

Thanks. I'm visiting your site from time to time. So I know it a bit. ;-)

I just don't want to replicate the same information on to many forums, but www.videopac.nl seems to be a good place for that topic.

For people, who do not know the Dragon Multi-cart yet, since they are no Dragon/CoCo users, I just want to point out again, that the Videopac Extension cartridge is an extension for the Dragon Multi-cart, to make it compatible with the Odyssey/Videopac. It is NOT a stand-alone storing device. You need to have a Dragon Multi-cart, to use it.

;-)

Thanks. I'm visiting your site from time to time. So I know it a bit. ;-)

I just don't want to replicate the same information on to many forums, but www.videopac.nl seems to be a good place for that topic.

For people, who do not know the Dragon Multi-cart yet, since they are no Dragon/CoCo users, I just want to point out again, that the Videopac Extension cartridge is an extension for the Dragon Multi-cart, to make it compatible with the Odyssey/Videopac. It is NOT a stand-alone storing device. You need to have a Dragon Multi-cart, to use it.

;-)

I take it those Dragon Multi-carts are few and far between arn't they?

Guess most Dragon users would be in the UK, since they didn't sell really well on the main continent. I do love my videopac, but it has to be noted that the last years a lot of multicarts have been released. I have 1 multicart and for me that's more then enough for me.

That doesn't mean others wouldn't want to buy it. I do love the idea of using a single cart for multiple systems. Keeps the cost down. But i don't like barebone pcb solutions. I have a cpc464 cart, and really love that thing, but i miss a shell for it. If i'm correct somebody did design a shell for it and released the files in public so one could print one if you would have a 3d printer. Still need to find somebody with a printer that can print one shell for me.

Like MJB and scotty said, videopac.nl would be the place to post this. I guess you wouldn't have a problem selling some 30 units without a problem. The other 20 i don't know.

Dragon users mostly are in the UK and in Spain, sure. CoCo 2 users mostly are in the US. But I even sold Multi-carts to Israel and Japan. AA is visited by an international audience, a good place to post new things. But I'm also posting in "The Dragon Archive " (http://archive.worldofdragon.org/phpBB3/ ), which probably can be considered the living room of Dragon users.

I know, there are many multi-carts, but there always is room for another one. :thumbsup: I was not heading for new customers, but wanted to make the Dragon/CoCo Multi-cartridge more useful for its current owners. That's all.

I agree, shells, boxes and manuals are nice! But there simply is a point, where you cannot cope with all of that, in the little spare time most of us have. I must focus on the things I probably can achieve, and must say bye-bye to the rest of it. If I need a cartridge shell, I'm using recycled and modified Atari-VCS-shells.

I take it those Dragon Multi-carts are few and far between aren't they?

I'm making them and I'm selling them slowly, but steadily. :) The Dragon Computer is not the Commodore 64 for sure, nor is its market potential. Just a niche. But this is ok. I just wanted a hobby, not a 2nd job. :skull:

This is ok, I'm just registering to get a rough number. No ordering. Anybody still can jump of the train anytime. I don't want any money now.

I will PM the registered people and ask, if they still want a device, when I'm ready to deliver.

Price and date will be published as soon as I know.

Specs, hmm, I think anything is in the Multi-cart thread. Did I miss something?

• offers 64 x 8k slots
  • adjacent slots can be "connected" to 16k slots
  • Dragon/CoCo: switchable auto-start
  • rom selection by rotary switches and number-display
  • eprom-based (27C4001)
  • Dragon/ CoCo: for roms running in cartridge-address-space: 0xc000 ... 0xdfff
  • Videopac (with additional Extension cart) : 2k/4k/8k roms
  • Vectrex (with additional Extension cart): 2k/4k/16k rims
  • easy to use
  • no cables, no peripherals, no extra power
  • plug-in and just go!

This is ok, I'm just registering to get a rough number. No ordering. Anybody still can jump of the train anytime. I don't want any money now.

I will PM the registered people and ask, if they still want a device, when I'm ready to deliver.

Price and date will be published as soon as I know.

Specs, hmm, I think anything is in the Multi-cart thread. Did I miss something?

• offers 64 x 8k slots
  • adjacent slots can be "connected" to 16k slots
  • Dragon/CoCo: switchable auto-start
  • rom selection by rotary switches and number-display
  • eprom-based (27C4001)
  • Dragon/ CoCo: for roms running in cartridge-address-space: 0xc000 ... 0xdfff
  • Videopac (with additional Extension cart) : 2k/4k/8k roms
  • Vectrex (with additional Extension cart): 2k/4k/16k rims
  • easy to use
  • no cables, no peripherals, no extra power
  • plug-in and just go!

Oh wow you are going to add Vectrex support too. Nice

close hardware wise in order for this to be possible?

Yes and no.

Yes, it's working. I made it. It's possible.

No, not really that close considered as systems, but surely close enough considered as late 70ies technology computers.

In the end those consoles/computers are no more than applications of a handful of processors and chipsets, which were cheaply obtainable around 1980.

I'm always getting amused about the pseudo-religious discussions, if a Commodore is evil and an Atari is so much better, or maybe the TRS is trash. Conceptually they are all the same. It's like car technology: If you disassemble a BMW and a Mercedes Benz, you'll find almost the same parts at the same places. A BMW steering wheel will work in a Mercedes Benz, if you solve the problem of attaching it.

Same here: 8 bit processors are connected to some expansion ports, with all their buses, looking for memory. Same voltage, more or less same clock-speeds, same memory access procedures. Like books, just with different words inside, but still books.

The Multi-cart now is heading for those early 8 bit home computers, which need memory space from 1k to 16k (future 32k) per game/program. Probably not Commodore and Atari, which really have countless and also very good solutions already out there, but some underdogs, with a more or less static game library. So, personally, I burn my eproms once and usualy don't have to change them anymore. (But I could anytime.)

I started the project roughly four years ago, when I was looking for a cartridge for my newly aquired Dragon computer and could not find a single one. When it was ready and working, I thought, maybe other people would like to have one, too, and offered my extra cartridges in the "Dragon Archive".

Cheers,

Rolo

• Like 1

I wonder if e.g. the RCA Studio II would be a suitable target, depending on how many address lines it has on the cartridge port of course. I know there has been talk about multicart for that one, but so far nothing commercially available AFAIK. Same question would go for e.g. the Epoch Super Cassette Vision which surely doesn't have any multicart yet.

IIRC, the AtariMax flash cartridge has an adapter to be used with Colecovision, or perhaps I dreamed about that? At least the reader part, for dumping purposes. Thus it is not as unthinkable as one first might imagine.

Now we're getting to the really rare machines for experts, I suppose. :) I don't know them either. :lol: Maybe they didn't sell them in the old world, at all? Or were using a contractor and a different name.

I better try to get things settled with the stuff I'm making at the moment, first. Then I could have a look at theses systems. Does anybody have those? I have to look up the basic facts about those first. But thank you for the suggestion. Why not make something exotic! :ahoy:In any case, I'd need to get such a console first.

I read about the AtariMax flash adapters for dumping cartridges. I really don't know if they can play games too. I never tried, because I have both, their "Ultimate SD FOR ColecoVision" and also the Atari flash cartridges for Atari 8-bit (btw. those a really great products, I'd recommend anytime!). We just have to ask "them" on their webpage. Maybe it's already in the forum, over there.

• Like 1

The Studio ][ was sold in the US, while various clone systems (Conic/Sheen M1200, Hanimex etc) were sold worldwide. The Super Cassette Vision was excludive to Japan and France (through Yeno). I've got both, for what it is worth. I'm sure there are other, slightly more common systems for which your cart could become useful. Perhaps Interton VC4000, which you might be familiar as it was a rather German system.

I looked up both systems in the internet. Really rare. The Studio II seems not to be very much fun to play - it's just "collectible".

The "Epoch Super Cassette Vision" is nice. Quite expensive on ebay, unfortunately. This could be a candidate (for maybe 3 sold cartridges :grin:). Why not...

If somebody should be interested in this, tell me or carlsson. If there are a few people, who want one, I might have a look at it and make an Extension cart for the Multi-cart (provided it works).

Let's collect some names. Could be a little project for autumn or winter.

Edited by Rolo