IGNORED

lynx values

jdollatari

Well, the value will depend of a few things. Is it the original Lynx or Lynx II? What condition is it in? Is there a charger? What currency (guessing $).

I'd say $100 is a bit high for just the Lynx and one game. I'd say half that was probably more like it.

For what it's worth, I think you can bag a Lynx II for about $30 - $40 that's in OK condition and working. You just need to be patient on eBay. Lynx I's I find can run a few bucks (10ish) more as they're a little rarer? (but often in terrible condition).

If you're a gambling man, you can look for the Lynxes that are "not working" on eBay, especially the ones that say no games. Often people don't realise it needs a game in it to switch on, so you can grab a working one for very cheap. I've done this twice, and both times the Lynx was totally fine.

Just a quick look on eBay, there's this one with three games and some extras for $70 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Lynx-Gray-Handheld-System-Bundle-Carrying-Case-and-3-Games-Rare-Model-/172269753583?hash=item281c13d4ef:g:Sa4AAOSwYSlXgteF

• Like 1

I'm actually refurbishing a few Lynx II's right now. I can have one that has Lynx II, all new capacitors, speaker, MOSFET and Zener diodes, APB game and the carrying pouch that I'd probably let go for $100. Of course you can always add the McWill LCD to it and have an amazing setup :) (I may just add that to it and sell it as a tricked out package for around $250).

But yes, typically a bare working Lynx II is about $40-$60. $60-$100 in a box.

Edited by cowdog360

What's definitely NOT worth $60 is this game manual for Super Asteroids / Missile command. The MANUAL.

Even the game brand new is barely worth that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Asteroids-Missile-Command-manual-near-mint-shape-Atari-Lynx-/252466465704?hash=item3ac82c8ba8:g:r88AAOSwbsBXjTA6

Not to hijack the tread but why is Super Asteroids / Missile command so expensive, New in the Box? I've seen it as high as $200...

Yeah, when I sniffed around eBay in Australia, could sense that the rare titles from US/UK weren't so rare there? I've even bought a few Double Dragon's and Desert Strikes from oz, as even with shipping can bag a better deal.

Yeah, when I sniffed around eBay in Australia, could sense that the rare titles from US/UK weren't so rare there? I've even bought a few Double Dragon's and Desert Strikes from oz, as even with shipping can bag a better deal.

I think The Gamesman bagged all of HES' stock and now they're selling off the remaining stock cheap. Great for anyone wanting MISB.

I think you can get an almost new Lynx for that price from either Best or MyAtari. I'd like to get a cheap copy of Missile Command / Asteroids though...

Best sells new in box Lynx I systems for $200. They offer "reconditioned" Lynx II systems for $100. Now, its important to note that their reconditioned systems don't really have anything upgraded or replaced on the inside. They just take the best of the lots and parts they have and clean them up, test them and sell them with a 90 day warranty. (http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/lynx.htm#Reconditioned Atari Lynx I and II Console Specials!) This isn't a knock against Brad or his stuff, I think it is still a great value. It's just important to know that you're still going to end up with a Lynx that has 25 year old capacitors, MOSFET and zener diode (the most common failure points).

If I could get a decent supply of Lynxes for around $40-50, I'd just be selling lynxes with those upgrades and probably giving a warranty as well for about the same cost.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The mosfet and zener diode won't get bad over the years if not used, it is the actual 60.000 (or more) switching per every second of gameplay that kills,those parts.

On the contrast, indeed, electrolytic caps actually get bad sooner when NOT used for such a long time.

Edited by Level42

The mosfet and zener diode won't get bad over the years if not used, it is the actual 60.000 (or more) switching per every second of gameplay that kills,those parts.

On the contrast, indeed, electrolytic caps actually get bad sooner when NOT used for such a long time

True, the zener and MOSFET may not fail from storage, but ask Glen about his refuribshed Lynx that popped the zener :) He's the one who posted the video using the 5V supply to bring it back. Its too cheap and too easy not to do.

If I could find a good supply of sub $60 Lynx II's, I'd recap, MOSFET and zener and sell them for $100.

• Like 1

Re-capping is over-rated.

I have seen the same "buzz" about it in the arcade collector's scene. Very often, great quality (Nichicon) caps that are still in excellent condition got replaced by new cheap Chinese c®aps.......

I bought a GOOD cap-tester years ago ( http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=2651.0) and since then I checked each and every cap on my arcade cabs and replaced only those who needed it. To sum up, on owning about 20 machines (some went again) I've replaced only a handful of caps that really needed it or were doubtful.

The larger the caps, the less likely they were to be bad. In that sense, the Lynx only has small caps so they are suspect. I do have a feeling that Lynx II has inferior quality caps against the Lynx I.

But I agree, it's cheap and simple to do but be SURE to use ONLY quality brands like Panasonic or Nichicon. I've used Panasonics with great success the last years. I always measure the new one's too, and very often these Panasonics (I select them from a good quality range, they have different kinds...) show extremely low ESR values.

ESR is the value that gives away if a cap is good, bad or getting bad.

Edited by Level42

I agree that in most cases re-capping is overrated or not needed. I just offer the service, so most people take me up on it. I do have a few Lynxes that I haven't done it on, just because they work fine (but I still do that MOSFET and zener every time now).

On a gamegear, you have to do it, since they all leak and destroy the PCB. On Amiga 600/1200/4000 computers same deal. With vintage audio equipment, in a lot of cases it affects the sound (but you could easily check measuring ESR like you said).

In general, Atari seemed to have used good caps on both Lynx models. I will say though, that there are a few revisions of the Lynx II PCB that are terrible in terms of pad and traces lifting.

• Like 1

I had zero trace lifting on my Rev.b Lynx 1....thankfully !!!

Yeah it really depends on cap quality. I have a Seeburg Bandall jukebox from 1974. I measured all caps and they are in amazing condition still. Only two brands: Sprague and Siemens. Quality like not found anymore these days. Atari always used Nichocon caps on their arcade games, they went for quality.....when they were still at Warner....