IGNORED

XGM / VGM player for Megadrive

Stef_D

I finally completed my XGM / VGM player that i started more than 1 year ago :)
It's still not perfect, has some bugs (refresh, playback issues with fast tempo...) but i am happy enough with it's current state so i think it can be released =)
XGM player is intended to play XGM music through the XGM driver i developed for Sega Megadrive. I developed a tool to convert Megadrive VGM file into XGM format so you can basically see the XGM player as a Megadrive VGM player... This tool is called xgmtool which is part of SGDK, you can also use it to optimize your Megadrive VGM files (and it does a very good job here compared to others tools).
The main difference between VGM and XGM is that XGM allows to play up to 4 PCM at same time where classic Megadrive VGM is limited to 1 PCM channel only... that is an handy feature for game where you can play several SFX at same time through PCM channels, it can be used for richer music as well but currently no tracker support the XGM format.
Another interesting part is that XGM format is optimized for Megadrive sound hardware so files are generally 25% smaller than optimized VGM.

Currently i only provide a test rom to introduce the XGM player capabilities, and for that what better than a Technosoft compilation :)
Musics from the following games are included in the rom :
- Dragon's Fury
- Elemental Master
- Thunder Force 2/3/4

- Herzog Zwei

Because of rom size limitation i could not include all tracks for those games so i made a (personal) selection of 80 tracks.
You can download the rom here: https://t.co/xwc9cumECg

Small animation : https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CnHGA82WIAAuo9B.mp4

XGM%20Player.png

Edited by Stef_D
  • Like 4

Now since we have the Technosoft collection, we need a Matt Furniss collection next please?! Or a way to get VGMs converted into the binary for the player and create our own.

I really like this idea though and was listening to all the T-soft music last night!

• 3 weeks later...

Released a new VGM compilation for XGM player :) This time it's a tribute to Jesper Kyd and its awesome tracks (mainly from Batman and Robin).
Because of the length of the different tracks i could not put more than 26 so i had to discard a lot of them unfortunately, the selection was difficult :-/
This new compilation also introduce a new version of the XGM Player (version 2), here are the differences:
- bug fixes (still some remains with fast tempo, sometime music pause without any reason)
- added a way to disable the starfield background (START + A)
- added a way to hidden the playlist (except current playing track) for nice blind jukebox parties :P (START + B)

You can download the ROM from here: Download

I also completed my XGM Rom Builder tool so you can build your own compilation (finally).
Note that i developed the tool in java so you need Java to be installed on your system.
The tool is a bit rough but it does the job hopefully, you can download the tool from here: Download

• 1 month later...

does it play ym2203 vgm files, or ym2612 only?

i’m asking this because both are opn, and i guess it’s supposed that ym2612, as being an opn2, would play all ym2203 vgm files as they are opn1 (specially those from arcade machines)

and if the player doesn’t play or convert it automatically, which kind of converter is recommended? i started trying vgm_opnatob on Taito’s Tokio vgm files, but the result sounds quite weird...

• 5 months later...