IGNORED

The Arena - Prototype Gottlieb Arcade Game

Crimefighter

Here is a gameplay demo of the unreleased arcade game Arena by Gottlieb (1982), which was an early version of what became Wiz Warz (1984), which also went unreleased but would had be issued by Mylstar. This game is not in MAME, nor is it listed on KLOV. The only place you can try out this prototype is the Galloping Ghost Arcade in Chicago-Brookfield. The current house high is 48K by James White. The story of how this arcade game was acquired by GGA has yet to be told, as the unveiling of the game was done for a film crew creating an arcade documentary...details of which have to be kept underwraps. Gottlieb would release a pinball machine title Arena in 1987.

• Like 4

If you got that many points, should've had your score submitted.

[FYI - the video by request was marked private, due to that documentary is apparently super secret - but geez, speaking from experience with one I was involved in, I hope it doesn't take years for them to release it!]

• 8 months later...

I played this game very briefly yesterday at MGC. I'm intrigued and want to know more. It was fun, looked like it had potential to be a good game, and was inside a nicely decorated cabinet with marquee, control panel graphics and bezel. What's the story?

Redbull TV is supposed to put up some video on Arena shortly which is why my video is set to private until it's posted....taking too long for them to get it up. Been waiting nine months.

Arena is pretty much an earlier version of Wiz Warz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1BipYXZXho

Like Invisible Monsters (Wizard of Wor proto) there was a lot a gameplay features added that made it a better game when it was released.

• 2 weeks later...

WRONG. It's for the PINBALL machine!

Glad you're so certain :) Sometimes I forget how much gottlieb archival stuff I have had for so long. Just because you can't download it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, consider that.

Really....where's the rest of it ? It doesn't look like the one GGA has --

https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1MSW6GUR91W11/arcade-renaissance?playlist=AP-1MSW6GUR91W11

There's zero point to being angry here. I've been a collector of specifically gottlieb/mylstar prototype stuff for 15 years. I have an archive of paperwork, emails, artwork, roms and code dumps for a great many of these games. I have many rom variants of tylz, knightmare, video Vince, wiz Wars, screw loose etc. the one rom variant I do not have that I have been seeking is a version of screw loose that has the dog in it. I have old VHS video of that rom but not the actual rom.. the part in my picture actually comes from tim skellys personal gottlieb mylstar development station which is complete. I have 4 prototype control panels (made to work with the dev station, well before a cabinet was made for testing). I pieced together a working screw loose arcade cabinet nearly 12 years ago. I take much of this stuff to shows and events for others to see. I hope that helps explain better.

• Like 1

A long time ago I did. I can post some pictures here later. My screw loose from back then is the one pictured on klov. I guess the thing about rare code is that roms came from somewhere and are seldom one of a kind. I try to never tout something as unique. Screw loose supposedly had only 3 prototypes yet I have found 3 sets of joysticks from those games, know of a fourth.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...