IGNORED

I trimmed my Jag collection down to 5 games only

sirlynxalot

Periodically people ask what the top games or the must have 3 or so games on the system are. Well, somewhat related to that mental exercise, several months ago, I realized I wasn't playing my jag much anymore, so I decided to get rid of the stuff I felt I'd never really play seriously again or be that interested in showing people. After that exercise, here are the 5 games most important to me, and what my collection boiled down to. So far I have no regrets and appreciate what I consider to be an increase in the quality of my collection (by removing stuff I felt I would never play or want to show people again).

Stuff I kept:
-Cybermorph: it was the pack-in, a system exclusive, and the first step atari put forward in the consumer market to show off the jaguar. It's also not that bad a game really... so it was a keeper
-Wolfenstein: Lots of instant action at a very fast pace in this game, i prefer it to doom on the Jag for a pick up and play experience.
-Tempest 2000: A core part of the jag experience imo. This game more than any other is an excellent demonstration of the Jag's capabilities, was originally designed for the jag, and is pretty fun too.
-Raiden: great pick up and play game with instant arcade style action. Not the best or most authentic port of the arcade game, but it does a decent job and has good 2d graphics. Also good for 2 player.
-Skyhammer: This game, in my opinion, is basically what I would have wanted from the jaguar back in the 90s. A 3d texture mapped polygon game that has a dark future kind of theme. I don't play this one as much as the others since I have a tough time finding the mission objective hidden objects, but I like to have it on hand to periodically wow myself (or a friend) about the Jaguar's 3d capabilities.

Stuff I got rid of:
-Doom: I agree its the best console port, but playing it on the jag didn't seem to be the best way to experience it. I also miss the music and the ability to play it at a higher resolution.
-Checkered Flag: awful game that literally gives me a headache.
-Rayman: pretty solid game, but its a little too twee for me these days. It's also pretty punishing in the later levels where I was stuck. Since the game commands such a high resale value, I sold it and put the money to other game items I felt I would enjoy more.
-Missile Command: the graphics are cool for the jag but I never got into the gameplay that much. It didn't hook me with gameplay like Raiden/Tempest/Wolfenstein or wow me with the graphics like Skyhammer.
-Elansar: awesome game, but I beat it twice and didn't see myself playing it again anytime soon
-Club Drive: This always felt like an unfinished game to me. I never got into the controls or presentation, it just wasn't to my taste at all.
-Val D'isere: I guess this game is ok, but it always seemed way below the jaguar's capabilities and unlike say Raiden, didn't have intrinsically fun gameplay.
-Super Burnout: I agree with the consensus that this game has a very smooth framerate and a good amount of polish. I never got into the gameplay and there didn't seem to be anything to unlock or explore other than the tracks and bikes that were already available. So after experiencing it for a few months I felt like I'd had my fill.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 2

Here are the five Jaggiest Jag games that you should have kept for your system:

1. Cybermorph -- why experience a new, less obnoxious Skylar in an awesome game like BattleMorph when you can 'enjoy' her in all her mediocrity in her first incarnation?

2. Club Drive -- because you can never tire of driving around inside a house. Badly.

3. Speedster II -- If you never thought that the sound of a honking horn could drive you insane, you'd be wrong. And because the male narrator uses one of Skylar's catchphrases. Repeatedly! Awesome.

4. Pick one of: Kasumi Ninja, DDV, or Trevor McFur. Classic stuff.

5. T2K, to tease and taunt you with its greatness. Insert game, play, and then review titles 1-4 on this list. Wonder at the thought that they were all greenlighted. Beat head against wall. Play another round of T2K.

• Like 6

A very good and sensible move there.

I've done similar with my Dreamcast collection lately ( the Dreamcast being one of the very few systems i've held onto on my recent purge..PS2, 360, PSP, Xbox, Game Boy, Neo Geo Pocket colour etc and games to go with them etc all been given away....as i simply wasn't using any of them)...

And it's felt so good.

Even with game guides in front of me, i was never going to sit down and play through something like Shadowman......

Nor was i honestly going to learn to 'love' the control system for Urban Chaos etc.

I am however hell bent on finishing that last mission on Starlancer, i love returning to Powerstone, so there is no way i'd want to do without these.

Looking at your games kept and those you got rid of and your reasons for each, i found myself nodding along thinking great call...

I loved Jaguar Doom at the time and it's still a fantastic game for the system, but despite owning it on Jaguar, PC, GBA,N64 etc, i always return to the PS1 version, as i find the music so wonderfully atmospheric.

• Like 2

I do the same thing ...with Jaguar I was down to the Llamasoft games Tempest and Defender....then when I figured Tempest was good enough elsewhere (psx, pc, vita, android) it wasn't worth holding on for just one game.

I still have my Saturn but it's much the same ...most of the best stuff can be played elsewhere now.

This is how you say goodbye to a beloved toy.

• Like 1

Felt the same way about DOOM, it was one of my must-have games until it came out on XBLA then it became hard to justify playing the Jaguar version with the low res graphics, missing music .etc

When I scaled down my Jaguar collection I kept Rayman, Super Burnout, and Missile Command 3D but got rid of Wolfenstein 3D, Raiden, and Cybermorph :P

Some games I kept just because of how unique they are to the Jaguar, like Skyhammer - lots of potential but due to the frame rate and bugs it's really only for Jaguar fans interested in that aspect of the Jaguar, or Kasumi Ninja - just has a campy B-Movie feel, even kept club drive. Not every decision was motivated based on how "good" the game was

Although it was nice to cut back on the collection, it kind of sucks when you see that the value jumped since then, especially if you have regrets about selling a game (or a bunch of games) at some point and want to buy them back

Edited by Willard
  • Like 2

For myself the other issue has been not really needing a Jaguar anymore...

Rayman, i could pick up even now on PS1, but i'd rather play Rayman II on the DC or Rayman Origins on PS3...

I'd hammered I.S to death on Jaguar, far better Mech title for myself than Metal Head on 32X, but i've only scratched surface of I.S III on PS1.

AVP was another i put so many hours in back then, i'd had my fill.

Typhoon on PC and Tempest X scratch my Tempest 2000 itch just enough.

Got as far as last mission on Syndicate, but completed PS1 Syndicate Wars.

I don't have any real regrets on getting shot of my Jaguar collection (never took to Defender 2000 as was), despite being fully aware of crazy prices these days, as i had games like Snatcher on Mega CD, Streets Of Rage III on MD, Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands pack Strider collection, Xcom:Terror From The Deep etc on PS1, which seem to go for crazy money these days...as thankfully these were and still are avaiable on so many other formats/avaiable via emulation..so i don't feel i'm missing out.

I liked Cybermorph,Hoverstrike etc but never felt i missed out by not getting a Jaguar CD for Battlemorph or Hoverstike:U.L.

Never felt any regrets about not owning Skyhammer as loved PS1 G-Police 1+2, yet hated Descent...all i guess in similar style?

Battlesphere never held any attraction as spoilt on PS1 with 3 Colony Wars games, Blast Radius, ST:Invasion, Darklight Conflict etc.

For all it's flaws i've no regrets about buying a Jaguar day 1 either, simply for the fact it provided so many hours of pure fun and enjoyment, but it, like so many other platforms i've owned over the years, was replaced but something newer, offering far more.

• Like 1

Every now and again I pare down my collections, so I definitely get what you did there and it feels good to get rid of crap you don't use. I don't know that I'd agree w/dumping Rayman especially considering it's considered one of the most impressive games graphically on the system, but at the same time w/the price it commands these days I get it. And yeah, Checkered Flag is a total turd.

• Like 2

3. Speedster II -- If you never thought that the sound of a honking horn could drive you insane, you'd be wrong. And because the male narrator uses one of Skylar's catchphrases. Repeatedly! Awesome.

What ever happened with Speedster II and Skycopter II? I thought someone was preparing to re-release them on cart a few years ago, but I don't recall ever having seen anything further.

The fun part is that you didn't depart with all of it, but kept a slim "collection". I guess when you're able to see quality in the Jag, it's hard to part from that "part of you"... (saying this without trying to be considered fanatic).

I look as strongly on Jag as my Neo Geo - no chance I would get rid of all of it, not even under extreme pain and lack of food, while selling other stuff at need without any scruples. Just my less than a dollar.

• Like 2

I loved Jaguar Doom at the time and it's still a fantastic game for the system, but despite owning it on Jaguar, PC, GBA,N64 etc, i always return to the PS1 version, as i find the music so wonderfully atmospheric.

Indeed.

I own the Doom Complete for PS3 (PSN) and, although it's great (uncompromised), I prefer the PS1 version for it's better atmosphere, more tasteful visuals/palettes, upgraded music and SFX, better lighting etc.

Easily the definitive version for me :-)

• Like 2

Periodically people ask what the top games or the must have 3 or so games on the system are. Well, somewhat related to that mental exercise, several months ago, I realized I wasn't playing my jag much anymore, so I decided to get rid of the stuff I felt I'd never really play seriously again or be that interested in showing people. After that exercise, here are the 5 games most important to me, and what my collection boiled down to. So far I have no regrets and appreciate what I consider to be an increase in the quality of my collection (by removing stuff I felt I would never play or want to show people again).

Stuff I kept:

-Cybermorph: it was the pack-in, a system exclusive, and the first step atari put forward in the consumer market to show off the jaguar. It's also not that bad a game really... so it was a keeper

-Wolfenstein: Lots of instant action at a very fast pace in this game, i prefer it to doom on the Jag for a pick up and play experience.

-Tempest 2000: A core part of the jag experience imo. This game more than any other is an excellent demonstration of the Jag's capabilities, was originally designed for the jag, and is pretty fun too.

-Raiden: great pick up and play game with instant arcade style action. Not the best or most authentic port of the arcade game, but it does a decent job and has good 2d graphics. Also good for 2 player.

-Skyhammer: This game, in my opinion, is basically what I would have wanted from the jaguar back in the 90s. A 3d texture mapped polygon game that has a dark future kind of theme. I don't play this one as much as the others since I have a tough time finding the mission objective hidden objects, but I like to have it on hand to periodically wow myself (or a friend) about the Jaguar's 3d capabilities.

Stuff I got rid of:

-Missile Command: the graphics are cool for the jag but I never got into the gameplay that much. It didn't hook me with gameplay like Raiden/Tempest/Wolfenstein or wow me with the graphics like Skyhammer.

I really enjoy Missile Command. I also think the full transparent polygons displayed in the 3D version are pretty awesome.

But overall I end up playing the classic version. Which isn't altogether like the arcade. The arcade is way harder. But it's enjoyable.

The fun part is that you didn't depart with all of it, but kept a slim "collection". I guess when you're able to see quality in the Jag, it's hard to part from that "part of you"... (saying this without trying to be considered fanatic).

I look as strongly on Jag as my Neo Geo - no chance I would get rid of all of it, not even under extreme pain and lack of food, while selling other stuff at need without any scruples. Just my less than a dollar.

I agree at this point. I've owned at least three jaguars, and previously purged my entire jag collection only to buy stuff back a couple years later. I've realized I need to simply hang on to the system itself at all costs, which somehow, I've formed some kind of weird emotional bond to. But I think my current strategy of focusing exclusively on games that I personally like rather than games that the retro community says are good has been the right move for me (there's certainly overlap between those two categories, but they aren't 100% the same). I also halved my lynx collection and paired down my 32x stuff. I've seen collectors/retro gamers purge all their stuff before and I think that is not for me, too many good memories of this stuff and I do enjoy playing it, but I recognize from my own experiences it can get depressing and distracting if you feel like you have too much chaff that you'll never be interested in, and that you've become a librarian and custodian dedicated to preserving and displayed a bunch of stuff that you don't even care about. Reducing has re-centered my experience to the original concept, gaming with games that I like to play.

Edited by sirlynxalot

I'm going to be trimming down my Jag collection soon.

I never play my CD games but do play AvsP, Tempest 2000, etc.

@NGN nice to see you're here.

Synbios! Cool to see you around dude. Yes. I'm still alive. Just a little less active at certain forums vs others :)

Incidentally, haven't seen you around certain parts for sometime either? ;)

I seem to be constantly grooming my collection, trying to keep it fun to have and manage. As of late, I want the Jaguar collection CIB, (seems to have been the wrong time to do so with the rising prices / demand) so it's been a bit of a slower process, but, I thought about the situation. If I had to cut my carts down to just 5, I think I'd keep Alien vs. Predator, Another World, Club Drive, Kasumi Ninja.. and it'd either be Doom or Ruiner Pinball.

You can trim it down to zero games once the SD Cart comes out. :)

BLASPHEMY!!!

When it comes out hopefully we will see those obscure Jaguar flash carts hit eBay again...I've been looking to add one of those back to the collection for a long time now.

Indeed fellow bid-warrior! :-D I haven't seen any for sale in AGES! I'll also be looking to add different versions of the Skunkboard to the stash (need, Rev.1, Rev.2, Rev.3 Ghost and SillyVenture).

Also really looking forward to the Flashcard! Will be nice to keep all the (most played) games in the Jag at once! :)

Synbios! Cool to see you around dude. Yes. I'm still alive. Just a little less active at certain forums vs others :)

Incidentally, haven't seen you around certain parts for sometime either? ;)

Yeah, no particular reason. I felt like we just talked about the same thing over and over.

My must keeps to stay on topic.

AvsP

Super Burnout

Doom

Wolfenstein 3D

Tempest 2000

My jag collection is small so I'm looking forward to SainT's sd card in the future.