IGNORED

(Noob Question) Can you load disks from Atari BASIC?

Hmm. I tested my Atari "Temple of Apshai" without the BASIC cart and got a boot error again. How do I check to see if the thing is working properly? I know BASIC and 6502 (although I don't know much about interacting with I/O devices) which reminds me, where can I get some pdfs on this thing? Like, a hardware manual and a detailed memory map, something like this: http://sta.c64.org/cbm64mem.html ?

Edited by Link6415

Hmm. I tested my Atari "Temple of Apshai" without the BASIC cart and got a boot error again. How do I check to see if the thing is working properly? I know BASIC and 6502 (although I don't know much about interacting with I/O devices) which reminds me, where can I get some pdfs on this thing? Like, a hardware manual and a detailed memory map, something like this: http://sta.c64.org/cbm64mem.html ?

Some good resources:

PDF:

Altirra Hardware Reference Manual (near bottom of the page) - Essential reading

HTML resources:

Trevin Beattie's Atari Technical Information

Wikipedia ANTIC, GTIA, and POKEY pages

If you want detailed information about how the OS, BASIC and DOS use specific memory addresses see Mapping The Atari. But a good understanding of the hardware, namely ANTIC, GTIA, POKEY, is probably more worth your while if you mainly want to write games.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

What specifically do I need to do to figure out what's going on? I found a detailed guide from the early 80s on how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble my 810, so I did, but I'm still getting these boot errors. I suspect the serial cable, and I'm considering buying a new one, but I want to be sure that the problem isn't with the 400 itself. How?